Sticky Thread for MilAir II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemini

ka3jjz said:
Jeff, if you wish, please feel free to use the Pax River Wiki to publish if you wish. You can reorganize the page whatever way makes you feel comfortable. There is no mandated format, and any updates would be appreciated. The URL is:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Patuxent_River_Complex

73s Mike

I'll take another look at that Mike. I have been putting that off because to be honest I don't like the format of the WIKI stuff and am hesitant on spending the time to learn to put it in a format that I do like because I would have to learn the WIKI way. I guess I am used to putting a .txt file up and being happy with that as opposed to having to format something to make it readable. I may just try to throw something up in here and "possibly" consider playing with the WIKI later.

TinEar

1332: Looks like one of the New England A-10 units is just getting to the Warren Grove Range...working the range on 283.1 and with ZNY-Dixie 307.8 upon approach...no callsigns heard yet.

Jeff, I tend to agree about the Wiki. It's a fabulous resource and contains a wealth of information. I just can't find what I need. For instance, I've been playing for the past 10 minutes trying to find a reference to the CT-ANG because I think that's who's at Warren Grove Range. I tried every way I could think of to access that unit (CT-ANG, CT Military, New England ANG, New England MilAir, CT Air National Guard, etc.) Well, it's listed under "Conn. Military" and only found it as a cross-reference from something else I stumbled upon. I would never have thought to look up an Air National Guard unit with those old four-letter state abbreviations that went away in the 1950's. The shame about it is that a whole lot of work has gone into building those Wiki pages that takes time and effort and dedication. I'm not sure how to make the "lookup" function more user friendly. If you can't find what you're looking for, it's the same as if the information isn't there. And that negates all the hard work that was done to assemble and input the information.

The bottom line is that there's no commonality of lookup terms. For instance, take the six New England states as an example. They are listed as "Conn. Military" - "Mass. Military" - "Maine Military" - "Vermont Military" - "Rhode Isl Military" - "New Hamp Military" so we have full state spellings for two of them, four letter ancient abbreviations for two states and someone's idea of shortened state names for the other two. That's a perfect example of why you can't find what you need. Oh...and don't even try to input "Maryland Military" or "MD Military" or "Mary. Military" because, as soon as you get out of New England, all the lookup formats change yet again.

Ref below: I'm also not "badmouthing" the Wiki because I think it's a great resource. Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough with those things to know how to fix the problems that I encounter. I just know an awful lot of work has gone into the Wiki that is going to waste because specific items can't be found when needed.

Last edited:

Gemini

TinEar said:
1332: Looks like one of the New England A-10 units is just getting to the Warren Grove Range...working the range on 283.1 and with ZNY-Dixie 307.8 upon approach...no callsigns heard yet.

Jeff, I tend to agree about the Wiki. It's a fabulous resource and contains a wealth of information. I just can't find what I need. For instance, I've been playing for the past 10 minutes trying to find a reference to the CT-ANG because I think that's who's at Warren Grove Range. I tried every way I could think of to access that unit (CT-ANG, CT Military, New England ANG, New England MilAir, CT Air National Guard, etc.) Well, it's listed under "Conn. Military" and only found it as a cross-reference from something else I stumbled upon. I would never have thought to look up an Air National Guard unit with those old four-letter state abbreviations from the 1950's. The shame about it is that a whole lot of work has gone into building those Wiki pages that takes time and effort and dedication. I'm not sure how to make the "lookup" function more user friendly. If you can't find what you're looking for, it's the same as if the information isn't there. And that negates all the hard work that was done to input the information.

I agree Tin, It was and still is well intentioned. Not to badmouth it in any way. I use it often myself. I have often thought it would be so great to have an online searchable database of MilAir Freqs. As it is now there there are so many different resources and each one has it's own quirks that I am always hesitant on contributing because once I contribute I feel responsible to keep it updated. That being the case I think long and hard before contributing to any online source. It's not that I mind contributing it just the time in keeping it up to date has to be considered and when/if a person gets carried away and puts freq lists up in mutiple places they need to be able to commit to keeping them up to speed. That is not always something I can commit to.

I will work on the WIKI. Not so much because I really wish to but since Mike and others have taken the time to put it up, "and" I have been able to make use of it. I feel I should go ahead and do my part.

I am working something up in Excel right now and will play with the WIKI here in a bit if all goes well. I am going to put somethng up here first though. Mainly just to see if this interface will handle the format I would like to put it up in. We'll see.

Gemini

Well this looks nasty but gets it out there anyway. I tried making it look neat and tidy. Spent 10 minutes doing it but when saved it reverted right back to this jumbled up mess. Be advise there are many more freqs in use at Patuxent but these are only the ones I have found active since 1/1/07. I will not put out any of the rest unless I start seeing them in use again. There are a few freqs listed under "UNCONFIRMED" that I am 99.9% sure are in use at PAX but have not recorded enough audio on since 1/1/07 to confirm their usage as yet. Still in the recording scanner though.

NAS PATUXENT RIVER NAS
Revised 02/03/07

ATC- VHF
117.6 RDO AM
120.05 APP/DEP AM
120.6 GND AM
121 APP/DEP CTRL AM RADAR
122.1 RDO AM
123.7 TWR AM
127.95 APP/DEP AM
133.9 WASH CNTR AM
134.1 APP AM
135.025 APP AM RADAR
135.2 CLNC DEL AM
ATC - UHF
250.3 APP/DEP CTRL AM RADAR
250.85 APP AM NW ALERT / HELO ADVISORY
276.2 SFA ATIS AM
281.4 WASH CNTR AM
281.8 APP/DEP AM
301.2 ADVISORY CTRL AM RADAR
302.55 BASE OPS AM
305.2 ADVISORY CTRL AM
314 APP/DEP AM
318.8 APP AM RADAR
336.4 GND AM
340.2 TWR AM
343.65 TWR AM
348 RADAR AM
356.2 PMSV METRO AM RADAR
362.6 APP AM BTN 10
384.4 CLNC DEL AM
UNCONFIRMED
119.27 ?advisory? AM
123.35 ? AM
139.525 ? FM
282.8 ?sar? AM ops
291.125 ? AM
310.55 ? AM
315.5 ? AM
337.9 ? AM
338.15 ? AM
342.025 ?hmtc? AM
350.9 ?rtps? AM
383.7 ? AM
CONFIRMED
138.975 TOWER FM VEHICLE TRAFFIC
139.5 PW FM TRANSPORTATION
143.725 HOT PITS FM
233.75 RTPS AM HMTC DATA
236.3 HX-21 AM BASE OPS / MAINT BLACKJACK
249.65 V-22 OSPREY AM OPS OSPREY
250.7 VX-23 AM BASE OPS / MAINT SALTY DOG
256.5 MRU AM DISCRETE BAYWATCH ADVISORY MONITORED
262.95 ATR - RCC AM CHECK IN ECHO CONTROL ADVISORY MONITORED
264.15 USN TPS AM BASE OPS TESTER
264.55 ATR - RCC / MRU AM DISCRETE BAYWATCH ADVISORY MONITORED
270.8 MRU AM CHECK IN BAYWATCH ADVISORY MONITORED
277 RTPS AM DATA
285.2 VX-20 AM BASE OPS / MAINT WATERBUG
291.15 ATR - RCC AM DISCRETE ECHO CONTROL ADVISORY MONITORED
299.4 RTPS AM DATA
310.15 VQ-4 AM BASE OPS / MAINT SHADOW
320.45 ATR - RCC AM ECHO CONTROL ADVISORY MONITORED
325 RTPS AM HMTC DATA
341.1 VX-1 AM BASE OPS / MAINT PIONEER
354.8 MRU AM CHECK IN BAYWATCH ADVISORY MONITORED
358 WEBSTER TWR AM
369.9 MRU AM CHECK IN BAYWATCH ADVISORY MONITORED
376.8 RTPS AM DATA
392.675 RTPS AM DATA

"MRU" = MILITARY RADAR UNIT
"ATR" = RCC" = ATLANTIC TEST RANGE - RANGE CONTROL CENTER
"RTPS" = REAL-TIME TELEMETRY PROCESSING SYSTEM
"HMTC" = HOT MIC TRANSMISSION CHANNEL

Last edited:

TinEar

1432: REACH 740T to Andrews with arrival message...30 minutes out, has 5 vehicles and 12 passengers to offload...says the pax will drive the vehicles so no drivers needed, needs crew bus for 3 and 20,000 pounds of fuel...141.55
I'd guess those were the vehicles used for the President's visit to Williamsburg VA today.
1437-44: ADORE 13 calling HUNTRESS...x7, no reply...364.2
No listing for callsign ADORE...he's very loud and clear so little doubt about it. Checked every callsign list I have and it appears on none of them.
1445: ADORE 13 makes contact with HUNTRESS...reports at FL 270 on the 133 degree radial from HAR, squawking 3641 and requesting Parrot and India checks...364.2
HAR-Harrisburg
1447: ADORE 13 repeats "sweet, sweet" for the two checks...adds that he's been "callin' you uns" starting at 200 miles and is just getting a reply...says he doesn't know if it's a propagation or a radio issue...and signs off...364.2
Unfortunately, he gave no indication of his airframe type, where he's from or where he's going to help with an ID. By the way, how do you spell "you uns" or "y'uns" or "ya-uns?"
Haven't heard him on any of the UHF ARTCC freqs so he's probably using VHF which I don't scan.
1507: CRAB 52 (C-130J MD-ANG Warfield ANGB) calling Crab Ops, no reply...148.925
1509: CRAB 52 to Crab Ops and reports 15 minutes out...385.9
1509: CRAB 52 back to VHF and reports 10 minutes out (that was fast)...148.925
1513-15: "Crab Ops, this is CRAB 52 on Victor. Do you copy?"...x4, no reply...148.925
1517: CRAB 52 now calling Crab Ops on Uniform and ground is answering him on Victor...385.9/148.925
1518: CRAB 52 to Crab Ops on Uniform...says ground is unreadable...if she's reading him, he'll be on the ground at 2025Z...apparently she does read him and gives parking spot D-3...385.9 (I can copy the female ground op on 148.925 but not on 385.9 which is just the opposite of usual.)
1520: COBRA 70 (OC-135 5th RS, 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, NE [Open Skies]) to Griffin Command to report off at 2017Z and wants that passed to KOFF - Offutt CP...no reply so repeats the message a minute later...378.1
COBRA 70 logged yesterday at 1615 for arrival at Andrews.
1526: CRAB 52 to Martin State Tower to ask what kind of an aircraft they were following...said they had him so stretched out and so far out it made him wonder what type aircraft caused that. Couldn't hear the answer so we'll never know...121.3

1634: REACH 123 on refueling freq...341.75
1635: ?WINDER? 21 with TRACON (ADW App) for approach to Andrews...335.5
1640: WINDER 21 to Andrews Tower for landing...349.0
WINDER = F-18C VFA-86, CVW-1 NAS OCEANA
1640: REACH 123 (probably to Shark Ops at CT-ANG)...349.7

Jeff, many thanks for the list. I think you can go to Edit, then Advanced Edit and post the list using the little icon that's for "Ordered List" that might help get that in the format you want if you feel like fooling with it. Doesn't matter...the info is what's important. I copied it into WordPad and will use it for my freq realignment job when I get to it.

Last edited:

Gemini

TinEar said:
Jeff, many thanks for the list. I think you can go to Edit, then Advanced Edit and post the list using the little icon that's for "Ordered List" that might help get that in the format you want if you feel like fooling with it. Doesn't matter...the info is what's important. I copied it into WordPad and will use it for my freq realignment job when I get to it.

No Problem Tin, I am not going to fiddle with it anymore. I am in the middle with messing with this WIKI thing. Not user freindly at all. I am gonna edit it this once then I will be done with it. If I could get it to let me put things in a table format I would not mind spending more time with it.

Mike, can you do whatever it takes to be able to mess with the WIKI in a table format? It appears whoever set it up did not enable it for some reason. I think editing it might not be any easier but I think more information could be put up in a little neater fashion. As it is now I am not going to spend much more time trying to add things like BTN numbers, Callsigns etc.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Jeff, there's 2 ways to put a table in a Wiki - using the HTML <table> tags, or using Wiki's markup language, which I find very confusing. Your choice.

Hopefully we can pull some folks over from the Southern Md.Yahoo group, which is now gone. Would be nice, as we don't have a lot of coverage from that area. Thanks for the list, Jeff. Much appreciated.

73s Mike

Gemini

ka3jjz said:
Jeff, there's 2 ways to put a table in a Wiki - using the HTML <table> tags, or using Wiki's markup language, which I find very confusing. Your choice.

Hopefully we can pull some folks over from the Southern Md.Yahoo group, which is now gone. Would be nice, as we don't have a lot of coverage from that area. Thanks for the list, Jeff. Much appreciated.

73s Mike
Mike I have it in Word now converting over to a table format. I am starting by simply converting what you already have in there, Once that is done I will update

Gemini

ka3jjz said:

73s Mike
Mike I have it in Word now converting over to a table format. I am starting by simply converting what you already have in there, Once that is done I will update. Per the WIKI help section, if enabled, there should be table oriented Icons on the WIKI editing toolbar. There is not so I am assuming whoever set this up did not enable this.

Re the Southern MD group. It's gone. My interest was in MilAir and did not have the time to mess with that group. Out of the few regular Public Saftey users in there that contributed, and lived locally, nobody wanted to take it over so it went away.

Last edited:

TinEar

1842: BLACKJACK 1 (Coast Guard HH65) up on Marine Channel 21A...157.05
1843: BLACKJACK 1 calling PIT BOSS...157.05
1843: BLACKJACK 1 asks PIT BOSS to maintain a listening watch...157.05
No indication of who/what PIT BOSS might be.

Had a long interruption but in the background I could hear both BLACKJACK 1 and 2 on the 157.05 freq. Now its 1937 and BLACKJACK 1 and 2 are on 139.7...sounds like they're doing some practice intercepts. I'm not hearing them with HUNTRESS - just talking to each other. I'm not sure where they're operating now but earlier when on the Marine channel they were extremely loud and clear.
At 1941 they are beginning a left-to-left side intercept...1 just mentioned loitering at FedEx (I guess that means FedEx Field)...they are at 2300 and 2500 feet so are being received very well now. Last time they did this were around 1000 feet and somewhat difficult to hear.
1947: BLACKJACK 1 tells 2 that he's done and is returning to homeplate...2 is going to do a couple of approaches and then return...139.7 (Homeplate should be DCA)
1949: BLACKJACK 1 calling HUNTRESS....tells him he's returning to deck at National (confirming homeplate location)...says he'll be around until 0500Z...tells HUNTRESS BLACKJACK 2 is still airborne...139.7 (Not hearing HUNTRESS. You got him Travis?)

And I'm at homeplate too and done until Monday.

Last edited:

freqhopping

About 1850 HUNTRESS called BLACKJACK-1 a few times on 139.7. Heard HUNTRESS fine.
For the last few minutes there has been some chatter but there is too much noise to make it out what's being said. Same noise problem I always get on that freq.

1955-Nothing happening out here. I'll be switching over to public safety for the rest of the night.

Last edited:

Gemini

TinEar said:
1437-44: ADORE 13 calling HUNTRESS...x7, no reply...364.2
No listing for callsign ADORE...he's very loud and clear so little doubt about it. Checked every callsign list I have and it appears on none of them.
1445: ADORE 13 makes contact with HUNTRESS...reports at FL 270 on the 133 degree radial from HAR, squawking 3641 and requesting Parrot and India checks...364.2
HAR-Harrisburg
1447: ADORE 13 repeats "sweet, sweet" for the two checks...adds that he's been "callin' you uns" starting at 200 miles and is just getting a reply...says he doesn't know if it's a propagation or a radio issue...and signs off...364.2
Unfortunately, he gave no indication of his airframe type, where he's from or where he's going to help with an ID. By the way, how do you spell "you uns" or "y'uns" or "ya-uns?"
Haven't heard him on any of the UHF ARTCC freqs so he's probably using VHF which I don't scan.

20:12 Tin, Just got back from dinner and had ADORE 13 up with PAX tower, 123.7. Landed at PAX

TinEar

j333_76484 said:
20:12 Tin, Just got back from dinner and had ADORE 13 up with PAX tower, 123.7. Landed at PAX

Thanks Jeff. That just makes it even more puzzling who he might be.

Didn't expect to hear anything today but...
1345: ELVIS 33 with arrival message to Dover CP...15 minutes out, A-1...349.4
ELVIS=C-5A 164th AW TN-ANG Memphis (Thanks for the ID Tony!)
1349: AVALON 74 (C-9A 932nd AW, Scott AFB, IL) to SAM Command at Andrews with arrival message...has a D/V-5 on board...378.1
1350: REACH 4132 to McGuire Command Post with arrival message...30 minutes out, no pax or cargo, A-1, needs parking...319.4
1352: PETRO 91 (KC-10A McGuire maybe) to McGuire CP with arrival message...A-2, has 15 pax, will arrive with 30,000 pounds of fuel...319.4
1353: ROCK 68 (C-130E 327TH AS AFRC, WILLOW GROVE PA) to Willow Grove with arrival message...20 minutes out, A-2, needs parking...351.75

1402: PETRO 91 assigned parking space India-1 at McGuire...319.4
1424: NAVY JT 698 arriving Andrews...378.1
1427: REACH 4136 to SAM Command at Andrews with arrival message...15 minutes out, pre-positioning for an AIREVAC mission...tail 44136, A-1...378.1
Full tail is probably 04-4136, a C-17A from the 6th Airlift Squadron at McGuire
1438: _____ 92 with arrival message to McGuire CP...15 minutes out, A-1, zero pax or cargo, need parking...319.4

Super Bowl XLI coverage has started...the Air Force has landed, Navy ships are at anchor, and the Army has left the field and entered the dayroom. A quiet period has begun.

Last edited:

CitationJet

Re: ELVIS

Hi Tin,

ELVIS = C-5A 164th AW TN ANG Memphis.

Best regards,

Tony

TinEar said:

Didn't expect to hear anything today but...
1345: ELVIS 33 (prob a C-17) with arrival message to Dover CP...15 minutes out, A-1...349.4

TinEar

Here's one worth mentioning....

1732: TERP 57 (C-130J MD-ANG Warfield ANGB) to Crab Ops with arrival message...15 minutes out, A-1, will arrive with 13,000 pounds of fuel, needs transportation for pax and crew and parking spot...gets D-4 for parking...385.9
I'm sure this is a unit C-130J that usually uses callsign CRAB. Add TERP to callsign list for this unit.

Edit: Got a couple of emails from out of this area asking if I'm sure of that TERP callsign because it doesn't look like a valid word. TERP comes from the University of Maryland sports program. Terrapins is their nickname - shortened to TERP(S). def: Terrapin=any of various aquatic turtles

Last edited:

Gemini

TinEar said:

Tinear,

I just reviewed my audio for the weekend. No further info on ADORE 13. I was hoping To catch them on Ground freq so at least I could tell where they taxied to. Nadda.

An off the cuff guess on my part would be to suspect TACAMO. As far as PAX based Aircraft those would be the only ones I could see having anything to do with Huntress at that hour on a Saturday Evening. But again. Just an unedumacated guess on my part.

CitationJet

1506Z 118.950 Potomac DEP - EVAC 44136 (C-17A 04-4136 6th AS) - deps ADW to 17000' dir LDN QSY 118.675.
1507Z 119.850 Potomac APP - PACER 99 (C-21A 457th AS Andrews) - cleared for the GPS app to rwy 1L @ ADW maintain 2000' until est. QSY ADW TWR 118.400.
1510Z 119.850 Potomac APP - wkg NAVY TP 963 (I guess on 322.300?) doing a couple of practice apps expect ILS 1L @ ADW.
1513Z 118.950 Potomac DEP - VDA 1902 (An-124 enroute ADW-ONT) - deps ADW to 17000' dir LDN QSY 118.675.
1535Z 119.850 Potomac APP - JENA 622 (G5 596GA) - i/b DCA cleared for the Mt. Vernon vis. to rwy 1 QSY DCA TWR 119.100.

1730Z 287.600 FOGHORN CTL Pentagon - MUSSEL 03 - passing ETA Pentagon here however FOGHORN CTL advises unable pp at this time, relay over. Also advises MUSSEL 03 that FOGHORN had requested Pentagon TWR have you come up on 287.600 as we are currently having trouble with 293.500.
1749Z 119.850 Potomac APP - TETON 32 (C-130H 187th AS WY ANG) - descending on the app. to rwy 1R @ ADW.
1752Z 139.300 Navy PTD Andrews - TETON 32 (C-130H 187th AS WY ANG) - clg NAVY OPS here no joy.

Last edited:

TinEar

Just a heads up Dave...FLYER A-10s from Willow Grove on the way to your area in the Duke MOA at 1339. Interflight 143.75 and currently with ZNY-Pottstown 278.3. Cleared direct Slate run at 1340. Now handed off to U-17, ZNY-Williamsport 338.3 at 1345. Still hearing them on interflight at 1349 but starting to get lost in the very high noise level today. Flying at 16,000 feet.

1350: Northrup Grumman test flight freq active with aircraft N161NG...123.225
1350: AERO flight of two F-16s from NJ-ANG Atlantic City active on interflight...138.875
1352: AERO 21 flight with ZDC-Casino at 15,000 feet...285.4
1354: BICEP 11 flight of two F-16s from NJ-ANG also up and checking in with Patuxent to work for the next 45 minutes...270.8
1355: AERO 21 flight handed off to ZDC-Cape Charles and check in at 15,000 feet...256.8
1356: U/I flight with Harrisburg Approach...says he's going to do an approach at Harrisburg before going on to his destination at Willow Grove...281.525
1356: BICEP 11 flight working interflight...138.425
1358: AERO flight comes up with BayWatch on 354.8 and are sent to 305.2 to check in...and do, requesting flight levels from 3500-25000.
So, both NJ-ANG flights are at Patuxent for work.

1400: The flight with Harrisburg Approach is saying they're in a non-standard formation so it's more than a single aircraft...still no callsign heard....281.525
1401: AERO 21 flight handed to BayWatch and check into the airspace at 16,000...delayed 45 minutes in the area...270.8
AERO and BICEP flights working 15 miles apart in the Pax area. Both flights are monitoring BayWatch on 270.8 for instructions and doing their work on their respective interflight freqs. BICEP seems to have the area around Vienna MD at the range. Both flights are in ground attack activity doing bomb drops at this time.
1405: Northrup Grumman test flight aircraft N161NG is also working at Pax...262.95..he's talking to a "324" asking when he can be at the IP
1409: One of the NJ-ANG flight mentions on interflight that the tanker has been cancelled...138.425 or 138.875
1412: CATBIRD (Commander in Chief, US Naval Forces Europe) calling Andrews Dispatch...139.3
1414: BICEP talking to KINGPIN (but I believe the part is being played by the other BICEP F-16)...138.425
1415: AERO flight now going to the Vienna area...flight leader tells #2 the winds are blowing and to be careful not to get blown out of the airspace...138.875
[Winds at BWI Airport are currently from the northwest at 21, gusting to 30 mph - but that's on the ground]
1418: CATBIRD makes contact with someone that apparently isn't Andrews...says he'll try Andrews when he gets a little closer...139.3
1419: AERO flight also simulating a FAC callsign IRON MAN while at Vienna...138.875
1421: AERO and BICEP flight leaders get together to request they swap altitude blocks...138.875
1422: BICEP flight simulating a WARHAWK FAC...138.425
1425: CATBIRD 1 calling Navy Ops...multiple calls, no joy...139.3
1435: BICEP 11 and AERO 21 flights still doing their thing at Pax...CAS activity with simulated ground FACs...138.425/138.875 (CAS=Close Air Support)
1440: N161NG says he's got another run with 324 in 3-4 minutes...262.95
1440: Our NJ-ANG guys getting ready to leave the Patuxent area...BICEP 11 flight to ZDC-Kenton requesting direct Atlantic City...they get direct Waterloo, direct ACY...at 15,500 feet...354.15
1442: CADE 1 flight (A-10 PA-ANG Willow Grove) with Philadelphia TRACON at 8000 feet...317.55
1444: AERO 21 flight checking out of Pax...say they'll stay in the airspace direct Sea Isle..305.2
1444: BICEP 11 calling Ops...reports RTB as fragged, both Code 1...261.0
1446: BICEP 11 flight cleared down to 3500 feet...354.15
1446: CADE 1 reports as a single A-10 at 8000 feet...317.55
1446: AERO 21 flight handed off to ZDC-Cape Charles...check in direct Sea Isle...256.8
1447: BICEP 11 flight changes to U-5 (I went to 327.125 by mistake but they weren't there...U-5 must be the 385.5 ACY Approach freq...didn't think of it in time to get there but putting that tentatively on my preset list for them. The 327.125 freq is U-6.)
1449: AERO 21 flight handed off...push U-7 and come up with ZDC-Casino where they check in at 16,000 feet...285.4
1451: AERO 21 flight to Ops to report 21 is Code 2, 22 is Code 1...10 minutes out...261.0
1455: AERO 21 flight says to push U-5...hear them very weakly on 385.5 so that confirms the preset button...the freq is very noisy today...385.5 is normally ACY Approach from the north which might indicate 327.125 is out of service temporarily but there is nothing in the NOTAMs indicating that.
1456: AERO flight says to push U-4 and come up with ACY Tower where they report in at 7000 feet and 12 miles to the south...239.0 (First time I've managed to hear ACY Tower since beginning of last summer but the AEROs were at an unusually high altitude when checking in.)

1502: AERO 21 and 22 still being heard with Atlantic City Tower doing a high key approach over the airport...239.0
1507: CADE 1 with ZDC-Kenton checking in at 11,000...354.15
1509: ARMY 1944 calling SAM Command...378.1
1513: CADE 1 handed off by ZDC-Kenton to freq 286.0...I hear him calling Philly Approach on that freq.
1514: CADE 1 back to ZDC-Kenton on 354.15 to say no contact on 286.0....he's sent to 269.25
1515: CADE 1 to Philly Approach (TRACON) and checks in at 11,000 feet...cleared from 11 to 5000 feet...269.25
1516: VENUS 24 to Andrews with arrival message...he's A-3 for a left engine fuel pump problem...141.55
1517: CADE 1 to Willow Grove Ops...says he's going to do a couple of overheads and should land at around 35 (after the hour)...343.0
1518: CADE 1 handed off to Philly TRACON and checks in...319.15
1520: CADE 1 cleared direct Willow Grove...319.15
1520: CADE is talking about a problem aboard UGLY 2 (haven't heard an UGLY flight active at all)...343.0
1522: CADE 1 handed off to Philly TRACON..checks in at 5000, vectors to initial...requesting handoff to the Tower...263.125 (I don't hear him on Tower freq 340.2)
1535: BOLAR 72 (C-5 Dover AFB) to Dover CP with arrival message...15 minutes out, A-2, needs parking...349.4
1545: PAT 687 to Davison Dispatch with arrival message...15 minutes out, has a code on board...wants to put fuel on request, about 150 gallons...139.4
1551: REACH 6022 to Dover CP with arrival message...adds that he'd like the awaiting passengers notified to be ready because he wants a quick turn...wants to be out of there in about 90 minutes from landing time...349.4
1556: Northwest Airlines pilot mistakenly gives the arrival message to his passengers while on Guard freq. When finished, other pilots start chiming in on the freq with "Bravo" and "that was a good one" and similar comments...121.5

1600: End of log

National Weather Service issues Winter Advisory for wind chill temps -5 to -10 degrees this evening. Like we didn't know it was cold.

Ref Below: Glad you were able to catch them Dave. We had one MD-ANG A-10 flight also where the flight leader knew a bit about the C model equipment and was instructing his wingman during the flight. The Air Force brass seem absolutely determined to do away with the Hog though. I've never understood that position. They've been trying for years to send it to the junkyard. I think the latest I've heard was 2010 for its demise. Ask some of the guys with boots on the ground in the sandpit what they think of that idea. They'll look at you like you're insane.

Last edited:

dparana

Thanks for the heads up Tin. Fortunately I was going to take a late lunch so I was able to head home and see what the FLYERs were up to. They continued working on 143.75 and I believe they both must have been in the upgraded A-10C models because they were working with their datalinks and multi-function displays. Also, the targeting coordinate format was different from the Lat/Long/Elev normally given. FLYER 1 did not seem to be as experienced with the systems as FLYER 2. All I have to say is that once these guys get used to the new systems these new hogs will redefine the word LETHAL....

The departed the DUKE at about 1500 talking to Cleveland Center on 353.85.

Ref Above: I hear you Tin, it will be a sad day when the hog retires. I think it's a testament to the value of such an aircraft when it earns the respect of the friendly troops on the ground and is the most feared weapon in the sky by the enemy, as documented by former members of the Iraqi Republican Guard.

Dave

Last edited:

Gemini

138.6 active

Just waking up here and have comms actve on 138.6. No C/S yet but Appears to be comms between an aircraft and a van.

I'll get some coffee in me and play with it. Recording it now

Status
Not open for further replies.