Sticky Thread for MilAir

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTV

Good A.M. All,
Able to hear ground side of Huntres this A.M. on 228.9. Is Huntress in DC or somewhere else?

Jack

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
My guess - and it's strictly a guess - is that NORAD has transmitter sites in various locations across the country. It's almost certain that they have at least a controller site at the Pentagon, and I would be willing to bet there's one at Andrews and Camp David. Sometimes you will hear the ground side, other times not......

73s Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just a wild thought - it's been very difificult to try to keep up with all the new stuff TinEar and others have come up with in the last couple of weeks. I'd be willing to set up a Wiki page for this; it could include links (such as Airnav), and a list of freqs noted to date.
I know that the Wiki is something of a stranger; I thought that way too, to be honest. But the markup language is somewhat similar to HTML (there's a document on this site that explains the basics, which is really all you need to get started) or VB, if you're familiar with that. The advantage here is that once you set up an account, you can edit most of the pages yourself. So one person need not be 'in charge' - everyone can have a shot at taking care of the page.
If you'd like to see what I've done, take a look at the SWL Broadcast, Utility Listening and Antennas pages. I also edited part of the Katrina page,the HF page (which will get a major facelift rather soon), and added detail to the ICAO and ALE pages. Heck if I can do all this just by using the basics, anyone can.

73s Mike

TinEar

Jack, I go along with what Mike said. I believe HUNTRESS has the ability to transmit on an antenna close to the operational activity taking place even though they may be physically located far removed from here. When the operation centers on D.C., I'd pick Andrews as the antenna location just based on the signal strength being about the same as other transmitters from there - although it could be at almost any military installation in the D.C. area. It seems the «228.9» frequency produces the strongest HUNTRESS signal other than when they did that test last night on «139.7» which was 5x5 for the ground signal and just blew away any previous HUNTRESS transmissions I had ever heard. The only problem was that HUNTRESS couldn't hear the aircraft even though I could hear it loud and clear. The aircraft (TANKER 05) also heard the ground transmission from HUNTRESS as well as I did.

I think a good comparison case is the way Potomac TRACON is physically located in Virginia but transmits from antennas at BWI and makes it sound like they're located there.

Mike, I'm going to have to look into the Wiki and see what's there. I've glanced at it a few times but never seem to have the time to really explore the site and learn how to contribute to it - or even to take something away from it. Thanks for the reminder.

Alan

JackTV

Got some A-10's on 41.95FM sounds like they are low in altitude. Coming out of Martin stete.

14:23-Also have Bicept flight on 138.3 & 354.8

Jack

Last edited:

TinEar

The BICEP F-16s (NJ-ANG) were a flight of three (BICEP 11/12/13). Upon leaving the BayWatch Pax River area on «354.8», they contacted DEVIL Ops on «261.0» for the ride home to Atlantic City. They called for about five minutes before they were heard by Ops - a distance problem I would assume.

The CAP is still flying as mentioned above, with primary on «228.9». TANKER 08 is the refueling aircraft. HARASS 53/54 are the current pair of Langley F-15s flying interdiction missions for wayward aircraft should they appear where they don't belong. Chat between HARASS flights - going from and coming to the CAP area - are being done on «357.1». The scan found this immediately now that it's part of the rotation. Thank you Chuck. Entry and departure from the area are being done on GUARD DOG/Washington Center freq «288.35»

How about some light reading? The following URL gives some insight into scrambles out of Andrews. Disregard who prepared this report. That part is not important. Within this report are some PDF attachments that display copies of tower logs, officially called "Daily Record of Facility Operation" for Andrews and National. During the scramble described in this report from the summer of 2002, they use the callsign BRAVE which is still in use. There are some nuggets of information here that you can use for future scrambles.
http://www.fufor.com/case020726/020726_AndrewsFoiaResponse.htm

Around 1530, VA-ANG F-16s active on «141.825/141.875» Callsign BASH
1540: HARASS 55/56 on the way to take over the CAP.
1541: TANKER 08 ready to RTB when 09 arrives but HUNTRESS doesn't have 09 on freq yet.
1544: HARASS 53 contacts 55 on «324.0» and tells him to make 15 Aux «228.9». 55 then comes up on that freq.
THE END - Off to fight the yardwork wars.

Last edited:

TinEar

Just popped on to mention the tanker is using a boom freq of «320.6». I heard them earlier mention that boom freq was going to be Aux 24 when HARASS 55/56 came on station.
Now...it's back to yardwork.

DPD1

ka3jjz said:
My guess - and it's strictly a guess - is that NORAD has transmitter sites in various locations across the country. It's almost certain that they have at least a controller site at the Pentagon, and I would be willing to bet there's one at Andrews and Camp David. Sometimes you will hear the ground side, other times not......

Absolutely... In fact, they just upgraded the system out here in SoCal recently. And I was pleased to find that Bigfoot is now audible on certain transmitters. I think they found a major lack in coverage in the preceding years with CAP for presidential visits and so on. I believe the initial system was more geared up for high altitude coastal coverage... Obviously for the possible inbound bombers. Numerous times they had no coverage at all for intercepts that are inland though. One day they sent up a couple of CA ANG guys, and they started doing comm testing on different freqs along various way points. That's when I knew they had changed something.

But they routinely change transmitters during flights all the time. I don't know exactly where they are and wouldn't say if I did. But it seems to work a lot better now.

Dave
-DPD Productions - Featuring the MilTenna LP Gain Scanner Antenna-
http://eje.railfan.net/dpdp/

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
228.9 and 320.6 still being heard as of this writing; someone showed up on 135.525 talking about getting fuel and departing, but not sure if this was involved in the CAP. Note that Huntress said that there was a large TStorm cell at 40000 foot to the SW of the CAP area, so be aware.

73s Mike

TinEar

1920: HARASS 57/58 coming on station...55/56 RTB Langley shortly.
1935: HARASS 57/58 fueling on «320.6» with TANKER 09.
1937: HARASS 55 has a main computer failure and request direct to Langley. HUNTRESS clears him to do that very thing. 55 changing to Washington Center «360.7»
1939: HUNTRESS shows 55 to need a course of 177 degrees for 107 miles to hit Langley. «228.9»
1940: HARASS 57 is night vision equipped, 58 is not.
1946: HARASS 55 talking Langley on «357.1» checking weather.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Just had a C-5 dropping low over my house near the Elk river.
Possibly inbound Phillips/Aberdeen area..Nothing on scanner yet as was outside..

Mark

TinEar

Had a CRAB C-130J at Phillips a few minutes ago Mark but that's it.

P.S. If a C-5 lands at Phillips he better be empty when he takes off again. A loaded C-5 requires more than 12,000 feet of runway to take off - Phillips is just shy of 8,000.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Thanks getting a REACH 9022 C-5 with inbound message at Dover CP 349.400
That would make him a Westover 439th C-5.
Strange approach as have never gotten such a low flying C-5 in this area.
Must have been lost enroute maybe.. Sure woke the neighborhood up!
Can't miss that C-5 engine whine especially that close!

TinEar

2007: Just had a transmission on «306.8» Willow Grove Base Ops. It was an aircraft 82 (that's the only ID he gave while I heard him) that notified the base that he had hazardous material aboard and six pounds of high explosives.
2010: PAT 138 (Priority Army Transport) calling Navy Ops on «139.4»...reports he's a King Air, tail #151, landing at 2025, dropping pax and needs to be refueled.
2020: HUNTRESS asked HARASS 58 to go to «360.7» for a radio check. They met up there and HUNTRESS was loud and clear - sounding every bit as good as Washington Center does on that freq transmitting from BWI. That tells us HUNTRESS has the capability of transmitting from a BWI (Baltimore) antenna if the need arises.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
P.S. If a C-5 lands at Phillips he better be empty when he takes off again. A loaded C-5 requires more than 12,000 feet of runway to take off - Phillips is just shy of 8,000.

OK now hearing HAGAR 64 with New Castle Del 126.000 tower.
That is probably him.Must be doing rare night touch and go's?
bragging about new aircraft capabilties..
That is popular Dover C-5 training callsign..
Once in a while a Dover C-5 can stop there with little or no loads to wait out weather as they also have about 8500 ft runway.Like you say though outbound loaded ..forget it!

STEEL 82 on Philly appch low 119.750 headed north from Dupont marker.
Sounds like a KC-135 Pittsburgh headed home..could be departing tanker from CAP.
I notice they use strictly TANKER callsign in CAP but once out could resume normal callsigns.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
OK C-5 just roared overhead again this time headed South..Can't be more than 3500 feet up.
HAGAR 55 now calling Dover metro 342.000 asking about wx west of Dover.
I bet there could be some noise complaints on him but I love it.
The sound of Freedom!

TinEar

Mark said:
I notice they use strictly TANKER callsign in CAP but once out could resume normal callsigns.

Sometimes.
Last evening, TANKER 05 used that call all the way from takeoff in Milwaukee to the CAP area and TANKER 04 used that call at least through Cleveland, Indianapolis and Chicago on his way home.

Bet that C-5 is sweet to watch overhead flying that low.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Yes I have caught TANKER KC-135's out of Mcguire in and out for CAP dutys...

Sounds like HAGAR 76 is headed back to Dover checking out now with NCC tower 126.000
direct Smyrna climbing to 4000k.
I think their must be multiple C-5's doing short runway touch and go's.
Can hear him headed south...LOL

TinEar

Yeah...that's three different HAGARs you've heard...wish they'd come this way. They must be low because I don't hear them from here - just some weak transmissions on «126.35», the tower freq.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Yeah i must be mishearing numbers possibly but HAGAR 55 now with Dover appch 132.4250 dropping down to 2500k.
I have seen those C-5's several times during daytime up at NCC but never at night.
bet they get some complaints on that..

Status
Not open for further replies.