SDR# TETRA Demodulator Trunk Tracking Demonstration

kermit_t_f

Did you check the ETSI spec for channel numbering?
I'm gonna send you some screenshots in the next few days if I got some spare time!

TheButcher

"A clear, readable jpeg will not be smaller than a png. Jpeg is pointless for text grabs."

That is true! Both .png and .gif at say 16 or 256 colours are MUCH smaller than .jpg images.

Yes, Tetra is used in New Zealand. Up on 860MHz.

thewraith2008

Did you check the ETSI spec for channel numbering?
I'm gonna send you some screenshots in the next few days if I got some spare time!

Yes I did, I was hoping for some practical examples to see if different offsets where used.
Oh well, lack of interest I guess. :(

wonky101

Lack of interest...I can't believe some of our Euro and Russian friends can't help you with some Tetra samples to help with a possible new Tetra trunking decoder!

thewraith2008

Just to reiterate what this program is and does.

My program requires:
2 x SDR# running with the TETRA Demodulator plug-in (by TSSDR) and Net Remote plug-in installed.

Your SDR# running with the TETRA Demodulator plug-in MUST already be working on TETRA.

My program won't change anything if it is not working.

SDR# is the receiver for both CC and VC
The TETRA Demodulator plug-in does the decoding of TETRA.

In it's current form the TETRA Demodulator plug-in only plays audio from 1 of 4 timeslots from the frequency that SDR# is tuned too.

My program reads the output from "Network Info" window that the TETRA Demodulator plug-in produces.

My program can only respond/act to what it sees from that window. Nothing else.

My program after reading the output of this window determines the call setup (D-Setup) and will
change to the carrier# (frequency) and timeslot of the VC SDR# where TETRA Demodulator plug-in will decode the TETRA date (voice) it sees there. This is the trunk tracking ability. It follows calls around the frequencies used by that site.

It processes calls on a first seen first served basis. Unless another call has higher priority (if enabled).

I have added some features already mentioned like lockouts,call priority (based on GSSI) and storing of seen GSSI/SSIs in a list.

My program is currently working doing what I've described.
My main hesitation in releasing it, is that getting it running can be troublesome and requires following a lengthy procedure.

hamradionl

Hi,
Thank you for making this available. If you notice in some response, some dont understand a bit you talking about, let them talk.

I think there is interest for this trunk but mainly in Europe and UK because there are the largest networks located. (UK, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Finland)
One thing you must know, TSSDR is still developing the Tetra plugin its far from ready.

What be the most overcome problem to install or get running your trunk control?
Running 2x SDR# + 2x RTLSDR on same PC ?

Is your trunk program a plugin for SDR# ?

If you release it, users in EU and UK will find it and start to feed you with information to improve or find bugs.
Maby announce release it on this page:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/

Just some idea:
Contact TSSDR and you can put hands together, TSSDR is already knowing you developing this trunk and i think he be very willing put hands together because 2x people able to share knowledge :)
Result of sharing is one great toy for all.

Thanks

Last edited:

hrh17

Will definitely be giving this a try over the next month when I have some free time

hamradionl

Thanks, the video make more clear i hear some voices sound like Australian or New zeeland
Just put this as NEWS on the page link below, so get more respons
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/

And like suggest try contact TSSDR to fine tune both programs work together

Understand correct
need running 2x SDR# + Both TSSDR Tetra plugin + 2x RTL
Trunk is not a SDR# plugin but stand alone program

hamradionl

With good user manual i think be possible to get running.

Quest:
Do need both SDR# 1 + 2 install Plugin: Net Remote?
Or only SDR# 1 install Plugin: Net Remote?

Idea, put it out for BETA testing.

In my case i need to use 6.25KHz step size on some older networks.

But still,
think TSSDR not yet fully support all used worldwide network, some country work 100% other country still some bugs mainly in the data or channel handling and the SDS. Look like causing this issues on some older network configurations. But not sure about this or reason.
And again, you contact TSSDR for fine tuning both because he got Terra bytes I/Q files for experimenting.

Last edited:

thewraith2008

First Public Release

OK here we go, first public release. Here is the company line:

This is the first release of this program. (TETRA Trunk Tracker v0.99.4)

It has only been tested on Windows 7 - Professional SP1 (32 bit), English
It has only been tested on Windows 7 - Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), English

You MUST have a PC that is capable of running SDR# x 2 with the TETRA plug-in. (Not overloaded CPU usage.)

It is in alpha stage. This means is may contain errors that may cause issues with the other programs it
works with. ie. crashing them or itself.

The TETRA plug-in currently been developed by TSSDR is also in early development. Because of this
any changes made in plug-in releases most likely will break this program.

I have created it to suit my needs. And it currently works for me with the TETRA network I monitor.

I make no claim that it will work for other networks.

It provides basic call connection capabilities. It may not process all aspects of the downlink
PDUs (call messages).
  • - D-Setup
  • - D-TX-Ceased
  • - D-Released
  • - D-Interrupt

As I don't see encrypted calls here, I'm assuming that TETRA Demodulator plug-in automatically does not
play these. If it does, then either lockout the GSSI or send me the PDU messages that may contain an indication
of call been encrypted. Probably in D-Setup messages. I maybe able to add it to the program. This maybe better for
when some SSIs are encrypted and some are not in a GSSI.

Please read the provided files:
  • 01_Readme.txt
  • 02_Setup_Usage.txt
  • 03_Features_Usage.txt
If you are not capable of reading these files, I suggest you stop right here. This program and it's
setup is NOT 1 click compatible. I have tried to be as thorough as possible with the documention to
explain usage and features. I believe any questions can be answered by reading these files.
These files most likely are not complete and contain errors and are not laid out as good as they could be.

It only works with the provided TETRA plug-in supplied in zip. (2018-June-06).

With all that aside, I hope it works for you and you can enjoy what it offers.

It is only meant to be a temporary solution until something better comes along.

Download link

MD5 HASH 4999dc3f824596a6ebdec6c56f4f2aaa

Please let me know how you go with it.

If you get it going, Please let me know what your:
  • Windows OS version (7,8,10)(Home, Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise) and if 32 or 64 bit
  • SDR# version

ET-NL

Thanks for the great work !

At the moment I have it running on a Funcube Pro (CC) and a 'normal' RTL-SDR (VC).
I had some trouble getting it to start but you have to have Admin rights on a Windows 10 to let it work (otherwise your program is unable to start te plugins and alter the title bars to VC / CC).

Now its running on a two carrier site.
Main carrier
Freq: 423.806250
No: 952
Sec carrier
Freq: 424.556250
No: 982

It switches nice from rest to main, till now I did not see any traphic on the secondary carrier (it's weekend)

** Edit **
Switches nicely between the two carriers

Last edited:

thewraith2008

@ ET-NL

Thanks for your feedback. That will be useful to those who try it with Window 10.

Can you further elaborate your OS version.
ME said:
If you get it going, Please let me know what your:
  • Windows OS version (7,8,10)(Home, Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise) and if 32 or 64 bit
  • SDR# version

ET-NL

Hardware
HP Workstation with Intel Xeon 5150
6GB RAM
Standard HDD (no SSD)

Software
Windows 10 Pro x64 with 1803 update installed.
SDR# 1666
Tetra plugin as supplied with Tetra Trunk Tracker
Tetra Trunk Tracker 0.99.4

If it run's it run's fine but the problem is getting it started.
The software is very picky in the starting order. Last start the SDR# window marked as CC had the Net remote turned on (than the software changes the frequency of the Control Channel as soon as a call comes in). Also if something goes wrong in the starting sequence, close both SDR#'s and Tetra Trunking and start over otherwise Tetra Trunking fails on opening the network info boxes.

For the rest keep on the good work I like it !!

thewraith2008

The software is very picky in the starting order.

That's why following the startup procedure to the letter is important at the moment.

It's an unfortunate side affect of running 2 SDR#. From a programming stand point, these are identical and a way is needed to distinguished them from each other.

A possible workaround could be to have 2 SDR# folders with SDR# installed and set one of the Net Remote ports to 3383 and the other to 3384 (this would be saved by each SDR#) then programmatically set the port# once CC and VC are determined. (Sorry just thinking out aloud here)

ET-NL

I'm not a programmer so I can't help you how to tell them appart.

I run both instances of sdr# from seperate folders.
Maybe I can install net remote on the VC only (now I just coppied the folder so net remote is on both). Than maybe you can detect the one with net remote??

thewraith2008

Currently 'Net Remote' is expected to be seen in both instances of SDR#

I did try that approach with one SDR# without 'Net Remote', but which SDR# was VC was not always guaranteed.

That is the problem, too many variables to contend with.

hrh17

Had a chance to finally give this a try. From the looks of it, I've installed everything correctly just not getting any voice or system activity.. Could be a quiet day but I'm not sure.

I've attached a couple screenshots for reference.

Attachments

• TTT 1.jpg
    TTT 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,781
  • CC TTT.jpg
    CC TTT.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,733

thewraith2008

From the images, you are not getting any CC channel reception (no MCC,MNC,LA)

In SDR# what bandwidth setting have you got set? Should be 26,000 to 30,000.
Yours looks like it's still on 250,000 (It's shadowing more than 1 RF channel)

You may need to check gain for the RTL dongle as yours looks to high.
That signal almost looks to weak to get a good decode with the TETRA Demodulator plug-in.

EDIT: Any changes must be done to both CC and VC SDR#s