The death of whistler scanner's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I don't think Whistler Wendy would have left if there was anything new in the works. The best we can hope for is their corporate scanner division to be bought out.

eryoung2k

Hope not, because I'm thinking about purchasing a TRX-1.
jimg
I picked up a TRX-1 from Zip Scanners about a month ago!! Love it!! There was a learning curve with the EZ Scan software but I finally got it figured out! Love my TRX-1 and actually love the case it comes with, It feels like a tank in the case, Some people don't like the case and have trouble getting it out, but I can get it out in 3 seconds (its like a otter box case). Definetly get yourself a good charger and 8 quality rechargable batteries, so you can keep 4 charged and just swap out when you need fresh ones. I can get about 8 hours on mine before swapping.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I also have a TRX-2 and it works fine on LSM simulcast if you know how to work with it, Im sure its not as easy as a just program and go SDS
but with some tricks and use of the attenuate and good antenna choices I have no issues
By all means put your money where your mouth is and tell us your trick to pick up P2 simulcast tdma transmissions with the TRX. Keep in mind some of the smartest scanner minds have used every possible adjustment and antenna to no avail so we are anxiously awaiting your one and only secret to making it work.

Also, if it did work why did Whistler try to make a scanner capable of picking up simulcast distortion secondary to LSM?

Whistler_Support

Whistler Representative
Premium Subscriber
Whistler is not going away, the fact that we were out of stock is due primarily to production capacity and shipping issues related to Covid19.

Sort of hard to keep stock of product when the Philippine government shuts factories down for several weeks, then decides to allows factories to open on a limited capacity basis only to then decide to shut down the shipping ports for a month. The ports have been opening up slowly and we believe the restrictions will be lifted tomorrow unless something else happens to extend the government notice. Until then, we are building product and awaiting the shipping ports to fully open.

Sorry for any issues this has caused with inventory levels.
None of the scanners are being discontinued despite what you read on some websites.

WS

spacellamaman

Whistler is not going away, the fact that we were out of stock is due primarily to production capacity and shipping issues related to Covid19.

Sort of hard to keep stock of product when the Philippine government shuts factories down for several weeks, then decides to allows factories to open on a limited capacity basis only to then decide to shut down the shipping ports for a month. The ports have been opening up slowly and we believe the restrictions will be lifted tomorrow unless something else happens to extend the government notice. Until then, we are building product and awaiting the shipping ports to fully open.

None of the scanners are being discontinued despite what you read on some websites.

WS

well thats good to heard, as i like both mfr's products and would hate to see whistler disappear.

tho, one thing i found odd a few weeks ago, was on the company website, 3x brand new WS1080's IIRC, were offered for sale, and gone before i got a chance. that is some fairly old inventory is it not? if it was refurbished i could generally understand that.

i did end up grabbing a WS1040 scratch and dent, which might i add was basically a perfect condition WS1040 minus the box. what i found interesting is the serial number was in the 10,000 range.

i know not to expect those in the biz to divulge such info, but i am always curious as to what the sales numbers look like for scanners, real-time and historically. a 10,000 serial number was quite interesting. i suppose thats a pure-whistler-owned number, and since the scanner has been around for a while, in various guises, is not in high demand, but certainly interesting.

my curiousity stems from my concern that there is a risk of too little demand to sustain long range survivalbility of the industry. a lot of R and D for, what i presume to be modest net profit.

Chronic

Some radio shack branded whistler scanners were sold and shipped without a serial number . The lable where the number should of been was completely blank. so hard to really tell how many is out there by the serial number .

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Some radio shack branded whistler scanners were sold and shipped without a serial number . The lable where the number should of been was completely blank. so hard to really tell how many is out there by the serial number .
Interesting... I remember back when RatShack was going out of business they were giving digital scanners away for less than $200 a piece and were considered obsolete at that time.

Those are the same rebranded scanners that have been cosmetically changed and are sold by Whistler today. They are based on the design and technology of the first digital scanners made by GRE and sold by RS in 2003.

Great radios in their day! Crisp and clear smartzone type II digital. Blew the doors off of Uniden offerings at the time which were muddy and muffled, amazing that those GRE designed radios are still being sold and used today under The Whistler name. Great testimonial to GRE.

Last edited:

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Interesting... I remember back when RatShack was going out of business they were giving digital scanners away for less than $200 a piece and were considered obsolete at that time.

Yup got a few for $99 myself, used one and kept the others in their boxes. Eventually they were sold since I had no use for the rest.
The one I did keep still working fine today, DMR with FW 4.5 DSP 3.2 none official
Also an old Pro-18 with the same FW/DSP.

I always uncheck CPU firmware when opening Whistler EZ-Scan :cool:

668.jpg

bberns22

I sorta hope Whistler hangs around. I'm a Uniden guy but competition is good for the market and developing technology.
I agree on the competition - its' good for the consumer. Unfortunately I don't see Whistler improving its position in the scanner market. It's been several years since they purchased GRE's assets and Whistler continues to produce all of their scanners based on a 10 year old design. Competition is going to come rapidly as Unification updates it pager firmware with more scanner like capabilities.

zzdiesel

WS
Thanks for the update. I thankful Whistler is staying in!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Or I close it because it's the umpteenth time it's been brought up. :unsure:
If that was the case, you'd be closing Beofeng programming, simulcast, death of CB, a variety of GMRS and FRS threads, etc. I don't think there's enough time in your day. :)

Last edited:

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Like I've said in the past. There is so much more room for improvement for the TRX scanners. Many of us have sent numerous suggestions over the past few years with nothing to show for but a few program application updates.

Here are a few that would have been nice to see. Record on the fly using FN shortcut, Auto Off, Increase search limits, Adjustable font size, LCD backlight on during bootup, and seeing the current time while on.

Status
Not open for further replies.