The state of Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I just turned the radio on and it appears that the Centerville site in Loudon County is currently down.

*EDIT: It was a site ID issue on my end. That site is fine.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Anderson County Sheriff uses a lot of Kenwood radios on TACN and Motorola APX series radio. ACSO seems to be moving toward Kenwood brand more. I have no idea what model. I believe I heard one of the Fire departments in Roane use some tait radios.
If I am right... Most of the Kenwood's are NX5300 or 5400 series... Unless they are off the EFJ side of the EFJ/Kenwood farm.

zachgallop

If I am right... Most of the Kenwood's are NX5300 or 5400 series... Unless they are off the EFJ side of the EFJ/Kenwood farm.
Next time I go to the Anderson County Courthouse, I will try to identify which model they use for sure. I believe it it is the Kenwood/EF Johnson Viking VP6000, but not 100% sure on that. Knoxville Area Transit (KAT) utilizes Bendix King (BK) radios on TACN, both mobiles and portables.

zachgallop

It sounds like Oliver Springs Police Department is now using TACN on Talkgroup 8574. The talkgroup is Phase I FDMA and I am hearing it off the Windrock site.

Last edited:

zachgallop

How they manage to pull off getting a new FDMA TG?
I was gonna ask the same question.
I have been wondering the same thing. But then I thought maybe the talkgroup was already on the fleetmaps and in the code plugs when Anderson County Sheriff joined TVTRS/TACN. That is was already a Talkgroup and they just now decided to transition to it. Maybe that is allowed since it was already active and I am not sure on this but I think Oliver Springs already had radios active on the system. I know Fire does because they pop up on Roane FD Dispatch, but not sure on OSPD.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I have been wondering the same thing. But then I thought maybe the talkgroup was already on the fleetmaps and in the code plugs when Anderson County Sheriff joined TVTRS/TACN. That is was already a Talkgroup and they just now decided to transition to it. Maybe that is allowed since it was already active and I am not sure on this but I think Oliver Springs already had radios active on the system. I know Fire does because they pop up on Roane FD Dispatch, but not sure on OSPD.
That makes sense.. Possibly had others testing and using it until they were ready to transition over? But they will have to have the radios reprogged over the next couple of years. As will everyone using FDMA except the Mutual AIds.... But again that is a a couple of years away.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Just saw that the license for the new Wauchessi Site was approved.

WRJU408

Also just found this one that was approved back in May.

WRFN341

Location 1 looks like the new Justice Center but I'm scratching my head with location 4. It's showing C4FM on 853.975 as an FBT "Base-temporary" station and is out east of Madisonville on a seemingly random hilltop that doesn't have a tower on it.

A further search deepened my confusion. WRJM300 shows 700MHz mobile itinerant at the same location. I was thinking that it might be the center of the mobile coverage area but I don't know why they would have it as MOI if that's what it is.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Here is a picture from back in April. The only license I can find is the one for the 800 S.O.W that is in the DB but not correct.

"Sites listed with an RFSS of 9 are FCC licensed, but need to have their correct information for RFSS, Site #, NAC, and control channels identified."
9 (9)000 (0)Mobile Site (800 Mhz)Statewide, TN851.3375851.575851.7375851.950852.1375852.450

Attachments

• 1591673410194.png
    1591673410194.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 19