• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication U3??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I've kind of thrown the radio in a drawer, I might pull it out and mess around with it later before I sell it off. The programming is more complicated (I mean time consuming) than expected, and I don't have the time to deal with it. The lack of reasonably fast zone changing, no lockout, pretty much makes the radio not really something I can work with, so I don't know if I will bother to spend the time generating the full codeplug worth of programming. If it at least had a zone up/down option, I would consider keeping it...youve got at least 5 button presses, not including scrolling one direction through a zone list, in order to change zones, and that is if you don't have to repeatedly bush more buttons to return to the menu due to talkgroup activity. I need quick access to talkgroups, and this radio just can't provide that.

Paul

cookmaster

Wow sorry to hear that,I thought about buying one a while back instead I bought a Relm P800 BK radio instead, so for now That’s all I need I am happy I did instead of U3 radio!!

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Jordan told me tier 3 coming later.
That's good to hear, hopefully the newer G series will have the hardware to handle cell tower interference. Is your U3 able to TX P25? Does it also do DMR Tier 3?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Wow sorry to hear that,I thought about buying one a while back instead I bought a Relm P800 BK radio instead, so for now That’s all I need I am happy I did instead of U3 radio!!

Looked at the BK's, but the special rx only key they need to provide which is one time use only seemed impossible to work with?

The U3 IMO would only be good for an agency, say that has to put a Phase 2 radio on a network at budget basement prices, like maybe a parks worker who trims trees, or school facilities maintanance. This would be for a "must buy new" purchasing agency, but for you guys, an APX4000 is 10x better in every respect, and they go for 50% less used. I wonder how close the APX900 is to the U3 in price...I am sure the APX900 would kill the U3 in every single respect as well, and maybe be the same price? Look at the weight of the radios, the APX900 might even be half the weight of the U3.

To round up my time with the U3.

16 channel positions, 64 zones.
Radio is heavy for it's size...very heavy...old STX era heavy...heavier than an APX6000.
No user programmable scan list, must be programmed via PPS "talkgroup scan" G series style.
No lockout/nuisance delete function, or hold obviously.
Zone changes are a long complicated process, takes longer than on a G series, and involves like 3x the amount of menu button pushing.
All external buttons are fixed function, no programability, like a Moto or G series.
Audio is louder than a G series, but is extremely shrill, with no bass at all, and 500mw audio is much weaker/worse than the 500mw audio from a Motorola.
Screen is as bright in low settings as the G series is at max brightness, and there is no backlight on off button.
Seems to have the same RX sensitivity as the G5, but also has the ability to not be knocked off the air by a cell tower.
Doesn't need to affiliate to RX ONLY recieve, and doesn't seem to cut off transmissions or anything like that.
RX ONLY is a channel setting, and the default, but the radio can still TX on conventional, there is no TX INHIB switch or function to NAS and talk on conv.
Changing channels, new selected trunked talkgroup RX is instant, no waiting for reaccuire like the G series
Displays RSSI dBm and frame error rate on RX, wirthout being in any special menu miode, which is cool.
Takes standard Moto antennas, the 800 version Unication antenna is VHF shaped, has similar RX signal as standard Moto 7" whip.
Accessory port is XPR/APX style, but they relocated the screw hole so they cannot interchange.
Belt clip seems super sturdy, Moto quality.
Programming is almost the same as the G series, you select RX ONLY SCAN and you select the system, then click add from a list or pre imported talkgroups...the U3 allows RRdb talkgroup and system imports like the G series. You must reimport talkgroups for every single system, so if like me, you need channel positions programmed as systems with specific sites used by the talkgroups, you would need to repeatedly import the same talkgroups from the RRdb over, and over, and over again.
On receive, jujst like a G series, you see the channel name displayed, then it switches back and forth to the talkgroup name as it receives, annoying.
PPS, you enter a system, add talkgroups to channel and zone...that is it, the PPS is extremely limited, you cannot really do anything else other than those tasks, as the rest of the radio is fixed hardware and operational functionality.

So, in closing, imagine a giant G series that takes much longer to change zones, has no l/o or hold, cannot be field scan list programmed, and has very shrill audio that is weaker than a 500mw Motorola speaker, and you start to see how limiting this would be for many people at the $1500 delivered price...assuming you are not an agency that needs to deploy phase 2 radios on the cheap and must buy new. If you are interested in buying this from me, send me a message...maybe you can play with it and sell it all over again, turn it into a Unication traveling gnome :)

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Note to Unication...if the U3 firmware had the ability to add lockout/nuisance delete, or if the zones could be changed up/down by soft keys instead of menu "process", this would completely change the dynamic and usability of the device. Nuisance scan delete and zone up down buttons or soft keys are pretty much an industry standard, not even suggesting scan hold or user programmable scan.

Paul

cookmaster

thanks for the latest and greatest on the U3bradio,i am not interest in this radio at this time,as far as the Key for the BK radios i friend of my gave me a copy of his software with the latest software with Key with it,it took seconds after i hook up brand new Relm BK P800 to laptop it was up running that fast, anyways take care hopefully you will it sale or learn to love it despite the its limited operations!

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Just discovered a new default menu function...says monitor on/off, toggle it on, and it does a G style talkgroup search of the system. So, if you have a channel position with a signle talkgroup locked into it, you toggle monitor and it's like doing an instant search on a uniden, toggle off, back to locked in. Imagine how cool that would be if the radio had hold or lockout...

Paul

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
the trunk receive only mode is for p25 trunking only and not DMR trunking?U3 will not do DMR TRUNKING(at this time)?
Receive only is not the issue. The U3 can monitor whatever you want as long as you choose "Trunking Receive Only Mode" for that knob position.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Correct, it is P25 trunking only. Here is the DMR screen.

BTW, just realized this radio does multi-system scan for P25 trunking...as you change the system, the scan list members you add retain the last system you previously entered, but still a 64 member limit for all members combined.

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 3.11.54 PM.png

Astrak

Correct, it is P25 trunking only. Here is the DMR screen.

BTW, just realized this radio does multi-system scan for P25 trunking...as you change the system, the scan list members you add retain the last system you previously entered, but still a 64 member limit for all members combined.

View attachment 83107
The Unication website mentions tier 3, maybe that's for the over seas U3 radios.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
On receive, the top LED on the U3 lights solid RED :oops:

Also, if you press and hold the top EMER button in RX ONLY mode, the radio starts making a smoke detector beeping tone.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The Unication website mentions tier 3, maybe that's for the over seas U3 radios.

It could be an orderable option, such as Encryption, which I did not order. The only options on mine are GPS and Bluetooth.

Paul

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Paul,one thing i am not seeing how to.I know you dont have the UHF version but think it applies to yours.
Say I have in zone 1 knob 1 A uhf ham dmr RPTR.
oN THIS KNOB POS I HAVE THREE HAM DMR tg

Question I want to TX on one of the three TG how do i go to and park on ONE TG?
Hope you wont say well you have to put EACH TG into its own knob pos? Upto 16 per zone.
Then next thing have to asign TS 1 or 2 to each TG in its own knob pos?
Must be a way to scroll thru TG in a knob pos that has multi TG in it?

Thanks

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
There may be, but I am not familiar with any form of conventional digital repeater talkgroup lists or similar, other than using a wildcard to keep the feature from preventing me from listening to voice on a specific frequency.

Shoot me a screen grab of what you are trying to do and ill throw an 800 version into my radio and see what the menu and such allows me to see/do. This radio is full of weird screens that show you from the LCD whats in each channel, scanlist, shows you the talkgroups and such, programmed channel knob positions with names etc, weird stuff I cannot see a real use for. You can also apparently run license plates, I have as menu selection for that. :p

Paul

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
There may be, but I am not familiar with any form of conventional digital repeater talkgroup lists or similar, other than using a wildcard to keep the feature from preventing me from listening to voice on a specific frequency.

Shoot me a screen grab of what you are trying to do and ill throw an 800 version into my radio and see what the menu and such allows me to see/do. This radio is full of weird screens that show you from the LCD whats in each channel, scanlist, shows you the talkgroups and such, programmed channel knob positions with names etc, weird stuff I cannot see a real use for. You can also apparently run license plates, I have as menu selection for that. :p

Paul
real fast can you have multi tg in a knob pos? then how would end user scroll to one if the tg to talk on usung 800 p25 trunk for example
how unless you say to tx you put one tg in iys own knob pos

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The RX only channel positions I have operate just like a G series...you select a system, then you add preloaded talkgroups to the scan list...no priority on the U3 though. So yes, you can purt multiple talkgroups into a single channel position, but they just scan them, you cannot block or hold or prioritize them. You can add a test system (system ID 001) to see what that allows, but I think it's the similar?

Paul

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
The RX only channel positions I have operate just like a G series...you select a system, then you add preloaded talkgroups to the scan list...no priority on the U3 though. So yes, you can purt multiple talkgroups into a single channel position, but they just scan them, you cannot block or hold or prioritize them. You can add a test system (system ID 001) to see what that allows, but I think it's the similar?

Paul
wonder if you changed a knob pos to not rc only if then you can scroll thry tg
maybe i asking wrong u 3 must have away say its a officers radio how would he manualy change to say pd disp tg then tp car to car?
has to be way other than putting pd disp in knob 1 and car to car in knob 2?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Putting channels in kbob positions is how 99.9% of commercial radios work...the only radios that want to be used by keypads and menus are HAM radios. Radios like these are meant to be used on the belt, so an officer would turn the dial from CH1 to Ch2...requiring them to look at and interact with the menu would for most be something only done to change zones, or program scan lists.

Paul

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Ok I agree so I will put 15 HAM TG in knobs 1-15 then I can have knob 16 scan 1-15.Ok that will work.
Sorry about that .

jeff

Putting channels in kbob positions is how 99.9% of commercial radios work...the only radios that want to be used by keypads and menus are HAM radios. Radios like these are meant to be used on the belt, so an officer would turn the dial from CH1 to Ch2...requiring them to look at and interact with the menu would for most be something only done to change zones, or program scan lists.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.