• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

N1GAW

Premium Subscriber
Just had a good example of no inter-op report of person in water and the NC parks service still on VHF could not contact the Sheriff who is on Viper for location of incident
I thought they were on Viper?

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they don't have enough radios but the local parks here are still on VHF high I have not monitored any of them on viper yet (Overhills,Raven Rock)Ect

N1GAW

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they don't have enough radios but the local parks here are still on VHF high I have not monitored any of them on viper yet (Overhills,Raven Rock)Ect
Exactly which agency are you referring to? Ncwrc in Raleigh area and NCFS are both heard on Viper here. Though it might be different in other areas.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Over a year ago a new radio tower was erected at the intersection of US50 and US98 near Falls Lake. Marshall suggested it would be a new Viper tower and offered the planned frequencies. As of Sunday, those frequencies are still not active. Does anyone know if the tower is active and if not, is there an idea of when it will be active? Can anyone confirm the frequencies, in case they have changed? -- thanks.

1565868672398.png

reconrider8

Premium Subscriber
Over a year ago a new radio tower was erected at the intersection of US50 and US98 near Falls Lake. Marshall suggested it would be a new Viper tower and offered the planned frequencies. As of Sunday, those frequencies are still not active. Does anyone know if the tower is active and if not, is there an idea of when it will be active? Can anyone confirm the frequencies, in case they have changed? -- thanks.

View attachment 74328
check the fcc for towers in that general location and see if the frequency pairs match up and i would bookmark that link and keep checking back with it and see if it doesnt change and keep checking near the tower for any activity

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
Have been receiving transmissions on TG 60688 which is not yet listed in database. Based on content and other TG in this range, I am very confident it is VA Kernersville, but I have not heard anything in the transmissions monitored to absolutely identify. Have received on Sauratown and WSSU sites which are the 2 sites I monitor from here in Kernersville.

N1GAW

Premium Subscriber
Have been receiving transmissions on TG 60688 which is not yet listed in database. Based on content and other TG in this range, I am very confident it is VA Kernersville, but I have not heard anything in the transmissions monitored to absolutely identify. Have received on Sauratown and WSSU sites which are the 2 sites I monitor from here in Kernersville.
What RIDs are you seeing?

N1GAW

Premium Subscriber
Unlisted talkgroups being heard...

52242 & 52243 NCSHP Radio IDs 2150981, 2150985 and 2151398
52694 Raleigh PD Radio IDs 1834945 and 1834968 (one radio encrypted)
52736 Unknown traffic no RID recorded
60809 Unknown federal Radio IDs 2915281, 2915300, 2915319 (previously heard with 60808) All traffic encrypted