VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Station In Use Alert Tone? Like a lot of agencies use to indicate a priority event is taking place so all units hold all traffic if not rush/emergency if your not involved? Every few seconds a "BEEP!"?

trumpetman

Database Admin
If it's happening on a single TG like GPD dispatch then that would be a channel marker. The channel marker goes off every 15-20 seconds letting everyone on the channel know it is closed to priority traffic and not to key up with non important transmissions. This is controlled from the console. Most of the time it is an indication of a chase or search but it can be turned on in error.

JohnDistai

Thank you. That explains it then.
What is "Tac Med"? Do these folks function as the civilian version of combat medics?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
When my radio (SDS 200) is scanning the Wake County system, it keeps making this short single tone sound every few moments, generally Garner PD DISP (at least tonight). Can anyone tell me what that tone is or what it's for? Thanks.

The Wake County system is not Viper, but that said typically this means the channel is being held for priority traffic.

Thank you. That explains it then.
What is "Tac Med"? Do these folks function as the civilian version of combat medics?

Not necessarily, the TAC MED channel allows them to talk between units during the event or call without tying up dispatch channels.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Two new Wake County VIPER talkgroups that are not in the database or identified. 46580 and 46583 both are in the range of the Wake Co FD, but only RID logged belongs to the Wake Sheriff's RID range. Only traffic heard was "Radio Check" with no response and a key up.

Still radio silence on NCSHP, that is not normal. Have always heard radio traffic. Could somebody check into this? All other Viper traffic seems normal(local traffic).

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
In Charlotte area today and listened to a few VIPER sites. Noticing two new TOWERS listed as neighbors, but unable to pick up any traffic on the frequencies DSD+ is giving. The site numbers and control channels are:

2.21 853.375, CC = 0-379, probably license number WRDU882
2.81 773.30625, CC = 1-1808, no license found

Last edited:

Flyham

In Charlotte area today and listened to a few VIPER sites. Noticing two new TOWERS listed as neighbors, but unable to pick up any traffic on the frequencies DSD+ is giving. The site numbers and control channels are:

2.21 853.375, CC = 0-379, probably license number WRDU882
2.81 773.30625, CC = 1-1808, no license found

Gaston County sites becoming simulcast, perhaps ????

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@heard125action I will be going through that area tomorrow and I'll see if I pick up anything from 40. But there have been no changes any where I'm aware of, if there had been I'm sure others would be commenting too.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
My viper is doing fine just no NCSHP

I've heard NCSHP this morning in Raleigh, during my drive down to Charlotte, and now in Charlotte. Like I said, I am unaware with changes to Troop D on Viper, but will stop in Mebane tomorrow and spend some time listening for them. My suggestion is you check your programming and lockouts.