VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I meant troop D

In the few minutes I've been here I've heard traffic from two districts in Troop D. I do not believe, based on what I've heard, there have been any changes. I would again suggest that you check your programming and antenna.

Attachments

• 20200824_145430_HDR~01.jpg
    20200824_145430_HDR~01.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 12

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
When my radio (SDS 200) is scanning the Wake County system, it keeps making this short single tone sound every few moments, generally Garner PD DISP (at least tonight). Can anyone tell me what that tone is or what it's for? Thanks.
Kernersville PD on their TRS uses that when”holding routine traffic” on a channel. It is a reminder to the users.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
In Charlotte area today and listened to a few VIPER sites. Noticing two new TOWERS listed as neighbors, but unable to pick up any traffic on the frequencies DSD+ is giving. The site numbers and control channels are:

2.21 853.375, CC = 0-379, probably license number WRDU882
2.81 773.30625, CC = 1-1808, no license found

I was in Gastonia today, before heading back to Raleigh, where at least two of the towers on this license are located and I was getting no signal on either one of those frequencies. Hope someone in that area will follow up on this.

In the few minutes I've been here I've heard traffic from two districts in Troop D. I do not believe, based on what I've heard, there have been any changes. I would again suggest that you check your programming and antenna.
I turned all banks off but NCSHP waited and heard Dist 2 and Dist 7. Radio transmissions are sparce. Thanks again.

Tobydog

VIPER System is in process of upgrading new base station/repeaters and may be down from time to time. Site radios are being updated in preparation for Phase II in several years for the State. So, some may be off air for a time period.

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
I'm a bit confused: I'm listening to TGID 52200 TROOP G DIST4 Buncombe Co on site 067 (43) Murphy. The traffic refers to dispatch as Newton which is Troop F. Is the TGID 52200 now part of Troop F? What is going on?

ncst8lvr

Hey guys - newbie to scanning (ham for ~10 years). Dad was a radio dispatcher for NCSHP in the 70's and 80's. So much content to take in to learn this hobby! Looking to cut through the clutter to get some advice for equipment. Is Home Patrol all that Main interest is law enforcement listening in the Raleigh/Wake County area. I noticed on here that the NCSHP Troop C feed is gone. Is that due to encryption? Is it worth it to get into the hobby with more departments going to encrypted broadcasts? Any links for me to go check out would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@ncst8lvr the NCSHP is not encrypted on the normal dispatch/troop channels (some special ops, air, and gov security are). The Home Patrol should work fine, except that the Wake/Raleigh system is simulcast and you might have issues due to that. Currently the Wake system is Motorola Type II, which is supposed to change to P25 Phase 1 by mid/late next year. VIPER is P25 Phase 1 until probably 2025, when it is scheduled to change to Phase 2. Apex and Morrisville is on the Cary system and all law enforcement is encrypted.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

Flyham

Two new VIPER license grants yesterday, one for Sanford NC in Lee Co (WRJH475), and the other for Wentworth NC, in Rockingham Co (WRJH476). Construction Deadline for both licenses is 8/31/2021.

Now to figure out if this will be either a change in freqs for each site, or, added capacity (channels) for each site?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Now to figure out if this will be either a change in freqs for each site, or, added capacity (channels) for each site?

I would suspect it will be frequency changes, both sites are 800mhz sites and the move has been to change to the new 700mhz freqs, which matches both licenses.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Did catch Vance and a new TG#60696

I have logged 60695 and 60696 several times being used by USMS usually with a local agency, it may be a FED Common or shared talkgroup. Last time I heard it they were in Robeson Co.

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what the tg name for 52686 is ? According to the LID Numbers it is the NC ALE that uses this tg. The lid i am seeing is 2010889 and also a Pitt county lid.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what the tg name for 52686 is ? According to the LID Numbers it is the NC ALE that uses this tg. The lid i am seeing is 2010889 and also a Pitt county lid.

It's not in the ALE TG range, but it could be a shared or spare TG. I see a lot of different users on TGs in the 52684 to 52694 range, might see it used once then a totally different set of users the next week.