VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

GROL

OK. It was Salisbury. So I was missing something! I had never heard so much Iredell County traffic on Salisbury, but apparently an Iredell county unit was very close to Salisbury. The affiliation apparently expired, so I had to add Troop E Talkgroup to catch the Site ID.

Thanks for the tip. I missed the CC frequency being on both sites.

How long do unit affiliations with sites persist?

Last edited:

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
How long do unit affiliations with sites persist?
Until the user leaves site coverage.
So they left the county or turned the radio off, ending the connection to the system. Happens often with GC Simulcast and Trp C Dis 3 when there's a higher up going through West Mecklenburg

GROL

Until the user leaves site coverage.
So they left the county or turned the radio off, ending the connection to the system. Happens often with GC Simulcast and Trp C Dis 3 when there's a higher up going through West Mecklenburg
Thanks! I didn't know what to expect for how long affiliation would persist. I have been getting a lot of Troop B traffic on the Salisbury site lately, coming and going for maybe the past 2 weeks. Wonder who it is? I was thinking about the traffic I though was coming from Woody's knob, while not impossible, that's a lot of air miles in this heat and humidity. A lot of water in the air to absorb the energy. It would probably have to be tropo ducting to be that strong and it would be in and out and not last very long. I do get Pores Knob 46 miles away with 2 bars and solid copy all the time.

GROL

Yep. Difficult, but not impossible. I have experienced some amazing propagation in Combat Comm with HF and Tropo Scatter comms, and some tropo ducting at VHF and UHF frequencies. By UHF I mean 300MHz - 3GHz. So if I think I, or hear someone gets a strong signal on 700/800 MHz 90 miles away I am not quick to discount it.

Last edited:

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Fort Bragg still down Fire and EMS working off Viper, will try to find out what's going on they may be upgrading their own system.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Not yet but have (2) control freqs not active yet of #385.3500/#386.2500,nothing active on Viper other than Police and Fire. I think the Viper ops will be used until their Federal System is updated I have noticed this update going on Nationwide

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Fort Bragg still down Fire and EMS working off Viper, will try to find out what's going on they may be upgrading their own system.

If you are able to get any Viper RIDs appreciate it if you would share with us.
Thanks

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Fort Bragg will be on Viper a little longer their radio system went out and they are having trouble getting it back up but it appears thy will have different control channels when it back up and running .

spacellamaman

Fort Bragg will be on Viper a little longer their radio system went out and they are having trouble getting it back up but it appears thy will have different control channels when it back up and running .

If you are able to get any Viper RIDs appreciate it if you would share with us.
Thanks
i would like to ditto the above

also when you said something about #385.3500/#386.2500, was that in reference to one or more specific sites?

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
all the old sites are down so not sure but they are the two that are active as of now. it is not hooked to any computer have a BCD 536HP not sure how to set the display yet or if i can. No info on if they are connected to any site but they are very active now

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
NC SHP utilizing VIPER SW Alpha 4 TG 51958 in assisting Wilmington PD with traffic and scene control at New Hanover High School after a 15 year old shot another student this morning, does not appear to be life threatening.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
all the old sites are down so not sure but they are the two that are active as of now. it is not hooked to any computer have a BCD 536HP not sure how to set the display yet or if i can. No info on if they are connected to any site but they are very active now

Menu>Display Options>Disp. Unit ID>On/Off as desired.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Ok MPs are still on Viper : Talk Group Dispatch #61407/ UID # 300027
New Bragg Control Channel #385.350
EMS Dispatch #1627/ UID #23006
Entry Gates # 1210/ UID #22008
This is what i have for now looks like they are trying to get back to their system, MPs still on Viper for now

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Viper Statewide TG 51979, Golf 1, being used today by UNC Chapel Hill for traffic control around stadium in preparation for tonight's football game.