VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I was able to pick up ems on Dare’s trunk system, but not hearing anything at all on VIPER (although in other parts of NC I certainly have!). I could try to expand the range setting and see if I start hearing stuff from the surrounding area, and/or hold on the NC VIPER system itself….
Was just down this past weekend, system wasn’t very active with the rain, on Friday night and Saturday but once the sun came out Sunday afternoon the activity on both Dare P25 and VIPER picked up. Noticed Dare is using their PS INTEROP 1 as an automated Fire Dispatch.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Ok if they have some channels I need to talk to my ema director to see if we can get them in our radios since we border Cherokee and Graham counties
Just because they have a block available doesn't mean VIPER has approved users or assigned them out to particular agencies, or that TN has accepted them. Additionally, the radios added must be on the VIPER approved radio list.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like NCNG was having some type of exercise on VIPER today with NCEM somewhere in the piedmont. The NCNG Air Boss TG and EM Air Ops 1 were in use. There was also some talk of utilizing 8TAC93 but I wasn't close enough to hear any chatter on it. The interesting thing I found is at one point one of the Lakota helos tells a ground unit to switch to Air Boss Secure. So I'm guessing at least this TG has encryption capabilities.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Lot of traffic on unknow Talk Group today #52819 possible StateWide ops

I managed to catch this talkgroup over the weekend. The user was an NCEM area coordinator, on the wrong talkgroup before switching to Statewide calling to contact the state EOC. So it must fall somewhere in the statewide zone in his radio.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
@Thawg128 I submitted a database update with the correct frequency information (as shown in the screenshot in my post). The database entry for the Sauratown Mountain site was corrected on 6/17, so what is in the database now should be correct.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Heard talkgroup 15082 yesterday on the Davidson County Simulcast system. Based on the range and the conversations, I'm guessing this is Denton PD Ops or Event. This was surprisingly in the clear.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Cumberland Co working on TG#51960 S/W Events Bravo 2 will try to see what's going on,Hoke Co and Spring Lake with them also.
OK lots of traffic stops must be a holiday traffic thing.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Heard talkgroup 15082 yesterday on the Davidson County Simulcast system. Based on the range and the conversations, I'm guessing this is Denton PD Ops or Event. This was surprisingly in the clear.
This was on the county system, not Viper correct? This thread talks about Viper, so I just wanted to check.

rpgallagher

Premium Subscriber
I’ve stumbled into a VIPER CC of 774.2875 that I don’t see in the database. It’s in the Durham area. I was catching Duke Lifeflight traffic, UNC ER, Chatham fire dispatch, LZ West 1. Any ideas what’s with that?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I’ve stumbled into a VIPER CC of 774.2875 that I don’t see in the database. It’s in the Durham area. I was catching Duke Lifeflight traffic, UNC ER, Chatham fire dispatch, LZ West 1. Any ideas what’s with that?
You didn't say what receiver you were using, is it possible you were slightly off on the actual frequency? Not a huge difference between .2875 and .28125, and traffic you heard is consistent with that site.

1 (1)047 (2F)RTP Bryan CtrDurham, NC770.93125771.13125771.68125772.38125774.03125c774.28125c