VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
Over the past few days, October 29 thru November 02, I've monitored the transition of Chatham Co Sheriffs Office Dispatch which has been on 453.800 MHz. As of this evening, 02 November, that analog UHF frequency is silent. I'm monitoring VIPER using UniTrunker, and seeing Talkgroup 10003 Chatham Co SO active with ENCryption in use. During the past few days analog was patched to VIPER and in the clear. Tonight they began using ENC.

I was OK with the transition to VIPER, but now that they're encrypted, my receivers have become more silent as I listened to 453.800 often.
Sad times. Submitted it to the database admin a few minutes ago.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Over the past few days, October 29 thru November 02, I've monitored the transition of Chatham Co Sheriffs Office Dispatch which has been on 453.800 MHz. As of this evening, 02 November, that analog UHF frequency is silent. I'm monitoring VIPER using UniTrunker, and seeing Talkgroup 10003 Chatham Co SO active with ENCryption in use. During the past few days analog was patched to VIPER and in the clear. Tonight they began using ENC.

I was OK with the transition to VIPER, but now that they're encrypted, my receivers have become more silent as I listened to 453.800 often.
Sad times. Submitted it to the database admin a few minutes ago.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
I live in Cumberland Co and monitor Chatham in (UHF) and still have them loud and clear in (UHF) at this time.
Last night they were only using VIPER. Today they're back on UHF, patched to VIPER. Probably more radios that have to be reprogrammed and/or installed. The PD units on VIPER are encrypted, and for now Dispatch on the VIPER side is in the clear from what I've been monitoring.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber

sambo300

I live in Elizabethton,TN. While doing some analyzing on my Uniden SDS200, I discovered I could pick up the Rich Hill site. The NAC is 1F0H and sometimes it'll display 1F5H. The data comes in good but there's very little activity from the site. Most of the traffic is from TG 52190......Ashe Co. SO and TG 48531 NCSHP. Just wondering if this is normal? Again......very little traffic from the site and it looks like it might be located near Mountain City,TN and West Jefferson,NC.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I live in Elizabethton,TN. While doing some analyzing on my Uniden SDS200, I discovered I could pick up the Rich Hill site. The NAC is 1F0H and sometimes it'll display 1F5H. The data comes in good but there's very little activity from the site. Most of the traffic is from TG 52190......Ashe Co. SO and TG 48531 NCSHP. Just wondering if this is normal? Again......very little traffic from the site and it looks like it might be located near Mountain City,TN and West Jefferson,NC.

Sounds about right considering that site is a "filler" site with a few voice frequencies.
All the more reason VIPER is going TDMA in 2025 to increase channel capacity.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
I monitored Virgina. Testing mutual aid with NC awhile but have not monitored anything else, it would be nice if all states, VA, Tenn and SC would get together and have mut-aid talk groups that were active and we could monitor, we have a few for S.C but never have monitored any traffic.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I monitored Virgina. Testing mutual aid with NC awhile but have not monitored anything else, it would be nice if all states, VA, Tenn and SC would get together and have mut-aid talk groups that were active and we could monitor, we have a few for S.C but never have monitored any traffic.

I have heard the SC Viper TGs a few times, there have been limited reports of people hearing TN, and you have reported VA (you didn't get any RIDs for them did you?) Guess there just haven't been any major issues requiring the TGs to be active but the capability appears to be there.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
I have heard the SC Viper TGs a few times, there have been limited reports of people hearing TN, and you have reported VA (you didn't get any RIDs for them did you?) Guess there just haven't been any major issues requiring the TGs to be active but the capability appears to be there.
No just a short radio test with viper

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Heard an unknown TG today from the Sauratown Mtn tower, all encrypted. The TG was 52044, which is in the NCNG range. The UIDs were in the 20790xx range, so it could be several state agencies. Typically, the National Guard has been in the 20615xx range.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Heard an unknown TG today from the Sauratown Mtn tower, all encrypted. The TG was 52044, which is in the NCNG range. The UIDs were in the 20790xx range, so it could be several state agencies. Typically, the National Guard has been in the 20615xx range.

I believe 52044 is actually one of the several Encrypted Law Enforcement block of TGs added in the code plug update of a year or two ago, the 207xxxx range is OEMS/Hospitals/EMS so maybe a joint event. I have also seen a lot of SBI activity on TGs between 52044 and 52065 all encrypted.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
I believe 52044 is actually one of the several Encrypted Law Enforcement block of TGs added in the code plug update of a year or two ago, the 207xxxx range is OEMS/Hospitals/EMS so maybe a joint event. I have also seen a lot of SBI activity on TGs between 52044 and 52065 all encrypted.
You might be right. There were about 10-12 strapped encryption talkgroups the best I remember specifically for joint law enforcement operations. I have never recorded anything in the 20790xx range, but you are right. OEMS, Hospitals, etc is typically in that block of UIDs.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I'm starting to add the IMAP talkgroups into my radios to try and avoid some of the traffic in my frequent travels around the state. I noted in the DB that there are multiple IMAP talkgroups broken down by pairs of counties, but it doesn't appear they are being used that way.

I am seeing that the "Triad TMC" in Greensboro seems to be using the IMAP Forsyth Dispatch (51830) for regional operations in the Triad area, how far east, west, and south that extends I am unsure of, but there is a patch from 51830 to the IMAP talkgroup on the Guilford/Greensboro system. It doesn't appear that the talkgroups specifically for Guilford County are being used.

Just wondering what everyone else is seeing as far as IMAP use in the rest of the state and what counties each talkgroup is actually covering?

EDIT: The DOT website shows 3 "major" TMC's.. Metrolina (Charlotte), Piedmont-Triad (Greensboro), and Triangle (Raleigh-Durham). Not sure what counties each covers or if there are additional for the Buncombe/Haywood and Wilmington regions.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'm starting to add the IMAP talkgroups into my radios to try and avoid some of the traffic in my frequent travels around the state. I noted in the DB that there are multiple IMAP talkgroups broken down by pairs of counties, but it doesn't appear they are being used that way.

I am seeing that the "Triad TMC" in Greensboro seems to be using the IMAP Forsyth Dispatch (51830) for regional operations in the Triad area, how far east, west, and south that extends I am unsure of, but there is a patch from 51830 to the IMAP talkgroup on the Guilford/Greensboro system. It doesn't appear that the talkgroups specifically for Guilford County are being used.

Just wondering what everyone else is seeing as far as IMAP use in the rest of the state and what counties each talkgroup is actually covering?

EDIT: The DOT website shows 3 "major" TMC's.. Metrolina (Charlotte), Piedmont-Triad (Greensboro), and Triangle (Raleigh-Durham). Not sure what counties each covers or if there are additional for the Buncombe/Haywood and Wilmington regions.

While they should be separate often times they overlap or are patched due to staff shortages. Have you looked at the radio IDs to figure out where they are being seen?

2031xxx - DOT and IMAP
  • 20310xx - IMAP GAO - Guilford Triad (2031006,1048)
  • 203103x - DOT Davidson
  • 20311xx - IMAP FDR -Forsyth (2031170,1173)
    • 2031168 - Statewide Operations Center - STOC
    • 2031170 - Statewide Operations Center - STOC
  • 20312xx - IMAP Turnpike & Office Cache Radios
  • 20313xx - IMAP Wake, Durham, Johnston (2031360,1373,1374,1384)
  • 20314xx - IMAP Wlm - Wilmington (2031460,1468,1470)
  • 2031731 - DOT staff
  • 2031733 - DOT Staff
  • 2031737 - DOT Hurricane response
  • 2031738 - DOT staff (Unit P)

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Heard an unknown TG today from the Sauratown Mtn tower, all encrypted. The TG was 52044, which is in the NCNG range. The UIDs were in the 20790xx range, so it could be several state agencies. Typically, the National
OEMS Statewide

Apparently, this was identified a while back as OEMS Statewide. I just didn't go far enough back in my search through the viper thread.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
While they should be separate often times they overlap or are patched due to staff shortages. Have you looked at the radio IDs to figure out where they are being seen?

2031xxx - DOT and IMAP
  • 20310xx - IMAP GAO - Guilford Triad (2031006,1048)
  • 203103x - DOT Davidson
  • 20311xx - IMAP FDR -Forsyth (2031170,1173)
    • 2031168 - Statewide Operations Center - STOC
    • 2031170 - Statewide Operations Center - STOC
  • 20312xx - IMAP Turnpike & Office Cache Radios
  • 20313xx - IMAP Wake, Durham, Johnston (2031360,1373,1374,1384)
  • 20314xx - IMAP Wlm - Wilmington (2031460,1468,1470)
  • 2031731 - DOT staff
  • 2031733 - DOT Staff
  • 2031737 - DOT Hurricane response
  • 2031738 - DOT staff (Unit P)

No patch here, they are operating exclusively on 51830 for the entire triad region it seems. This would lead me to believe other areas are doing it as well which is why I asked.