VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

trumpetman

Database Admin
Is there a map of viper sites available? Thanks

FCC licensed sites: North Carolina VIPER Trunking System, Varies, Multi-State

*Doesn't look to be working right this second, keep trying over the next few days.

RRDB sites: North Carolina VIPER Trunking System, Varies, Multi-State

*Looks accurate for the most part, this will only show simulcasts as single points though so Gaston, Davidson, and Chatham will only have 1 point representing multiple sites.

These maps are visible on every trunked system listed on RR as long as they are accurately recorded. They can be found on the 3 lined menu directly above the sites and frequency listing.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
FCC licensed sites: North Carolina VIPER Trunking System, Varies, Multi-State

*Doesn't look to be working right this second, keep trying over the next few days.

RRDB sites: North Carolina VIPER Trunking System, Varies, Multi-State

*Looks accurate for the most part, this will only show simulcasts as single points though so Gaston, Davidson, and Chatham will only have 1 point representing multiple sites.

These maps are visible on every trunked system listed on RR as long as they are accurately recorded. They can be found on the 3 lined menu directly above the sites and frequency listing.

Thanks, I wasn't aware they were available there.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Heard a new RID on the Davidson Co Simulcast cell, 3200010. This appears to be a portable used by a Silver Valley VFD officer. Not sure why it is in this range instead of the 57xxxx range.

N4GEX

Premium Subscriber
Over the past few days, October 29 thru November 02, I've monitored the transition of Chatham Co Sheriffs Office Dispatch which has been on 453.800 MHz. As of this evening, 02 November, that analog UHF frequency is silent. I'm monitoring VIPER using UniTrunker, and seeing Talkgroup 10003 Chatham Co SO active with ENCryption in use. During the past few days analog was patched to VIPER and in the clear. Tonight they began using ENC.

This morning I used DSDPlus to monitor the Chatham Mtn. site and discovered that the Pittsboro PD (TG 10021) is also encrypted. Siler City PD (TG 10025) is still in the clear, but I'm guessing not for much longer.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing an unlisted TG off the WSSU tower, TG #33012. Definitely sounds like Vitalink Ground Transport units talking to dispatch and it falls in alignment with 33011, listed as Vitalink Ground but under the New Hanover County section instead of statewide medical transport. Do not know the official TG alias however.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing an unlisted TG off the WSSU tower, TG #33012. Definitely sounds like Vitalink Ground Transport units talking to dispatch and it falls in alignment with 33011, listed as Vitalink Ground but under the New Hanover County section instead of statewide medical transport. Do not know the official TG alias however.

If it starts with 33xxx the TG is issued from/for New Hanover County, the TGs starting with 525xx are part of the statewide medical TGs.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Well, a New Year let's see what changes take place with Viper or if anyone signs on. The only place i know that is still on VHF/UHF is Lee Co and Sanford Pd

VHF and UHF are both very alive and well all across the state. More prevalent in the mountains yes, but still plenty of other counties and systems that are using either analog VHF or UHF, or have switched to either DMR or NXDN VHF or UHF systems.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
VHF and UHF are both very alive and well all across the state. More prevalent in the mountains yes, but still plenty of other counties and systems that are using either analog VHF or UHF, or have switched to either DMR or NXDN VHF or UHF systems.

Thanks for the input, but rather than say "all across the state" would you be willing to give some examples? It will help everyone understand where it is being used.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input, but rather than say "all across the state" would you be willing to give some examples? It will help everyone understand where it is being used.
Off the top of my head:

Yadkin County is fully VHF analog for all primary operations. Some units seem to have VIPER radios, but it is not used much. Wilkes County still uses VHF FM heavily, although they are working to transition to VIPER it seems (some of the cities have switched traffic over to VIPER but are still patching to VHF). All primary operations in Ashe, Avery (except for Beech Mountain PD), and Alleghany counties are on VHF analog. Most Watauga County operations remain on VHF except for Boone PD and ASU PD which are now on VIPER. Watauga County Sheriff uses VIPER somewhat as well, and I believe I remember hearing that they eventually plan to switch to VIPER.

Some of the aforementioned agencies that are still using VHF FM do patch their traffic to VIPER (Ashe County Sheriff, for example). And a number of agencies that are fully on VIPER or other P25 systems maintain a VHF/UHF patch (Forsyth FD, Stokes FD, Surry EMS, Guilford FD/EMS, Davie FD/EMS, Iredell FD/EMS to name a few)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Off the top of my head:

Yadkin County is fully VHF analog for all primary operations. Some units seem to have VIPER radios, but it is not used much. Wilkes County still uses VHF FM heavily, although they are working to transition to VIPER it seems (some of the cities have switched traffic over to VIPER but are still patching to VHF). All primary operations in Ashe, Avery (except for Beech Mountain PD), and Alleghany counties are on VHF analog. Most Watauga County operations remain on VHF except for Boone PD and ASU PD which are now on VIPER. Watauga County Sheriff uses VIPER somewhat as well, and I believe I remember hearing that they eventually plan to switch to VIPER.

Some of the aforementioned agencies that are still using VHF FM do patch their traffic to VIPER (Ashe County Sheriff, for example). And a number of agencies that are fully on VIPER or other P25 systems maintain a VHF/UHF patch (Forsyth FD, Stokes FD, Surry EMS, Guilford FD/EMS, Davie FD/EMS, Iredell FD/EMS to name a few)

While we are slightly off topic from VIPER, let me ask has anyone found any agencies on VIPER or off in NC that are using/sending LRRP data?

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
I travel heavily across the piedmont and western part of the state. So far, I haven't heard any new users exclusively using VIPER. McDowell County appears to be slowly migrating McDowell Rescue Squad and the FDs. EMS, McDowell SO, Old Fort PD, Marion PD are already on board.

West of Asheville, there are some simulcasts/patches of VHF/UHF to VIPER. Macon County fire & EMS is transitioning to VIPER, not sure about LE. Almost all the EMS agencies use the VMN talkgroups for hospital patient reports to the smaller regional hospitals or Mission Health in Asheville.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

GMB951

Premium Subscriber