Wake County P25 switch

drayd48

New list of talkgroups just submitted to the database.
Just from listening, the channels from NCSU in the database are correct. You have in your new list FD as 47118, when it is really 47113 as already listed, and you have PS Ops 1 as 47112 when it is really 47115 as listed.

greenham

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for y9our thoughts and ideas. I'd like to especially thank @shoegazer for his programming file. It helped tremendously. Having a know good config to compare to is really helpful. After taking his config on a ride through N Raleigh, then back home, Things went from active(ish) while roaming to silent again at home. This leads me to a possible (Reception problem?) at the house.

I'll gain a bit more confidence in programming by adding and deleting a few more groups before I consider myself "Dangerous" :)

Thanks again to everyone

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Just from listening, the channels from NCSU in the database are correct. You have in your new list FD as 47118, when it is really 47113 as already listed, and you have PS Ops 1 as 47112 when it is really 47115 as listed.

47118 was a fire TG I heard, like ops or tac, and it followed what I have heard in the past on the old system from the TG with same name. 47113 was a dispatch channel not a tac/ops TG.

N1GMV

Is there something wrong with my scanner or are others getting random choppy and garbled transmissions on the new system?

shoegazer

Is there something wrong with my scanner or are others getting random choppy and garbled transmissions on the new system?

I was getting the garbled and choppy on my (Radio Shack) Pro-106. But it's very clear with my (Uniden) SDS100.

N1GMV

It's known as the simulcast blues and its worse on the new system.
Glenn, what do you suggest I run my Data Decode Thresholds at on the TRX-2 for these sites?
And should I enter all the frequencies (even the ones in black) or just the Red and Blue?
I am here in Zebulon

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Glenn, what do you suggest I run my Data Decode Thresholds at on the TRX-2 for these sites?
And should I enter all the frequencies (even the ones in black) or just the Red and Blue?
I am here in Zebulon

I just use the default threshold settings on my scanners. You only need the 4 Control/Alt Control Channels listed (the red and blue).

whm8019

I am located in northern Wake County and have an SDS100. I used the Sentinel software to recreate all of my favorites. I then went into each of the favorite groups and removed the Cary Simulcast. Now I can hear Raleigh Fire, Wake Fire, Raleigh PD, Wake SO, and NCSHP loud and clear.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
46888 and 46889 being used today by Wake Sheriff New Recruit Training.

Programmed a G5 for a friend and it is working great all over the county as I traveled around today.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, this is the list I was referring to. Will this be in the next sentinel download?

It will be about a week after they enter it into the database. Right now it has not been added to the RR database, I guess @trumpetman has been busy. Remember it is volunteers that act as database admins.

Meanwhile, new TG identified, 46925 is CCBI and Coroner.

JimE60

Premium Subscriber
It will be about a week after they enter it into the database. Right now it has not been added to the RR database, I guess @trumpetman has been busy. Remember it is volunteers that act as database admins.

Meanwhile, new TG identified, 46925 is CCBI and Coroner.
Thank you, still learning how it all works together. Appreciate all those that have the knowledge and volunteer their service.

K4XOR

Thank you all so much for working to understand this new system!

Just wanted to add my experience with it in NNE Raleigh so far. I'm running a GRE PSR-500 with Jetstream JTD1 discone antenna in a second-story attic. I have programmed the new system in the scanner and removed the old Motorola Type II system, since I noticed the control channel had gone silent. (That's actually what made me find this thread and make an account!)

Screenshot from 2021-11-09 22-44-08.png

If I manually tune to the control frequency, it is clearly picking up the system. However, it would seem I am getting some simulcast distortion... Reception and decode rate of VIPER and the prior system has been excellent, strong signal with 99% decode. But for this new P25 system, I have had to carefully position the antenna to even manage a decode rate ~70%. When scanning I can tell it's jumping to voice channels, but a decent amount of audio is understandably missing or garbled.

Ultimately it sounds like a more modern scanner may be in order, but in the mean time I am hoping the system characteristics may change over the coming months. Maybe I can explore a more directional antenna to focus on one tower...

If anyone has any suggestions for how I can improve my setup, or how I can help contribute to understanding the system, I'd be glad to hear! And in case you're curious, my scanner is online here: https://live-scanner.abstractbarista.net/

drayd48

Thank you all so much for working to understand this new system!

Just wanted to add my experience with it in NNE Raleigh so far. I'm running a GRE PSR-500 with Jetstream JTD1 discone antenna in a second-story attic. I have programmed the new system in the scanner and removed the old Motorola Type II system, since I noticed the control channel had gone silent. (That's actually what made me find this thread and make an account!)

View attachment 112068

If I manually tune to the control frequency, it is clearly picking up the system. However, it would seem I am getting some simulcast distortion... Reception and decode rate of VIPER and the prior system has been excellent, strong signal with 99% decode. But for this new P25 system, I have had to carefully position the antenna to even manage a decode rate ~70%. When scanning I can tell it's jumping to voice channels, but a decent amount of audio is understandably missing or garbled.

Ultimately it sounds like a more modern scanner may be in order, but in the mean time I am hoping the system characteristics may change over the coming months. Maybe I can explore a more directional antenna to focus on one tower...

If anyone has any suggestions for how I can improve my setup, or how I can help contribute to understanding the system, I'd be glad to hear! And in case you're curious, my scanner is online here: https://live-scanner.abstractbarista.net/
Also going off of what @tvengr said, less is better. I'm in downtown and use a paperclip for my radioshack scanner and it works better than any antenna I've put in it. Depends on how close you are to the transmitter. If you have a directional yagi antenna that works best and you point it directly at the closest antenna.

K4XOR

Thanks for the insights! I will be getting the EM-B11809 Yagi (6 Element, 760-870 MHz) soon. I noticed site 3 in this new system is at the same height on a tower shared with VIPER that I hear very well. And the other VIPER location I listen to is towards the NNE so that's an option as well:

Untitled.png

Most tweaks I tested did not improve voice decoding, but for now I did find an antenna location which gets some audio, while retaining great reception on VIPER. I'll report more on this once I try it out.