Whistler Group acquires GRE's assets to manufacture Radio Shack scanner product line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for posting that Lindsay, I wonder how they will look?

2wayfreq

I'll take a heavily discounted Pro-106 any day of the week! But I would be curious to see the new scanner specifications and features.

SquierStrat

I'll take a heavily discounted Pro-106 any day of the week! But I would be curious to see the new scanner specifications and features.

Lindsays original post states they will be "identical"

Im just curious about the post on Whistlers facebook page. Were they referring to these radio shack scanners, or will they also be releasing their own line on top of the radio shack scanners?

daneg

YAY! Now uniden should step it up and have something soon.

Which ever supports out the box phase 2 p25 i'll buy one or two.

Native out of the box phase 2. No firmware upgrade or anything.

Be nice if they used freescan though.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
It looks like my previous comment did not make it...

I hope the production quality is maintained, or improved. None of us want to see a degradation of quality.

I wonder if GRE branded products will still be marketed, or if they will only be RS products.

dshafer1

Premium Subscriber
It looks like my previous comment did not make it...

I hope the production quality is maintained, or improved. None of us want to see a degradation of quality.

I wonder if GRE branded products will still be marketed, or if they will only be RS products.

They will probably market it on the Whistler and RS product line.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
On 9/20/2013 at 3:30 PM I asked a Whistler CS rep if his company had purchased GRE. His response...

"I don't have any details about the situation at this point. All I can say for sure is that we will be releasing a line of scanners. Whistler will be issuing a press release next week."

For GRE, I suspect the straw that broke the camel's back may have been the high cost of royalties paid for the features of the PSR-800. If these licensing agreements are not cost prohibitive, why doesn't Uniden have the equivalent. Hope I'm wrong as I so want a base/mobile version.

EDIT: Just noticed I never mentioned "scanners" in my question to the Whistler CS rep, he did in his answer.

Last edited:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I wonder if Whistler is in negotiations with RR for using RR data base with their version of the 800? I also wonder if Whistler will continue support for programing GRE's 800.

Also, we've received no details on the status of the PSR-800/PSR-900 series radios that came pre-programmed with the RR database and support for Project 25 Phase II systems.

If they were in negotiations with RR, I think Lindsay would know about it ;) I take the above to mean "no, not yet" in response to your question. But they'd be fools not to. All one needs to do is look at how much the PSR-800 is going for USED on eBay to know that it's a must have for their new scanner line.

-AZ

puzzleriddle

Well my .05 cents worth Identical means exact copy as they have been of 197 etc... nothing "new" yet on any other models, except the the whistler or RS name on em.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Well none of those four models are anything that I need or will get excited about but it's a great first step to get things going again and work the bugs out. I'm hoping once that's done they'll move on to adding the PSR models as well. I'd still love to get a PSR 800 and those 900's sounded like they would be a great buy as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! But at this point I'll take this as great news no matter what they do with the rest of the GRE/Shack line or decide to work on for the future.

airgreek

I personally know the head engineer at Whistler (I know him because we GOL test radar detectors). We are in great hands with Whistler. This is EXCELLENT news!

n5ims

Wow! Just noticed Lindsey moved. :lol:

Not really "moved" as many might think. Lindsey spends part of the year in Montana and part of the year in Texas (at least he has for the last several years now). You can expect to see his location switch back to Texas again when he returns, probably as MT gets colder and TX isn't quite so hot and dry.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

Michael-SATX

Seeing foot prints in the MT RRDB since at least 2005 ...

He "moved" moved. [/url]

Some call this "Strategic Relocation" :) Some can afford to and some can't even begin to think about it ;)

I say way to go for Lindsay and his family, so when things collapse, and there are hungry / angry mobs
where do you want your loved ones to be ? In SATX (7th largest city) or in Whitefish, MT(less than 7K)?
I'm picturing fresh clean air, lots of elbow room to grow gardens and no HOA restrictions on antennas :)
I fully expect to see antenna farm pics someday added to the Northwest Command Post shack photos.

This seems like a GREat deal and I wish him and his family lots of happiness and peace of mind in MT !!!

ps ~ Lots of missing PL/DPL tones to hunt down ~ Flathead County, Montana (MT) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

btw ~ Hmm, there's even 40 yummy restaurants to try :)) Whitefish Tourism and Vacations: 23 Things to Do in Whitefish, MT | TripAdvisor

Attachments

• downtown-whitefish-MT.jpg
    downtown-whitefish-MT.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 6,757
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.