WS1080: Whistler weekly Database Updates

teknishun

Are the Whistler database updates still being created every week? Have they been moved to someplace else?
Every time I go to EZ Scan for a database update it tells me I already have the latest version.
It has been 2 to 3 weeks now.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Are the Whistler database updates still being created every week? Have they been moved to someplace else?
Every time I go to EZ Scan for a database update it tells me I already have the latest version.
It has been 2 to 3 weeks now.

The last update was May 30th, from time to time a few weeks may be missed due to a number of reasons, but it doesn't mean they've stopped.

Capture3.JPG

Swipesy

There well may be an issue at Whistler with the download of the database. My experience has been it is always available on Friday or Saturday at the latest Unless there is a holiday involve. Today (Sunday 6/23/24) you get a message - Maybe they have been hacked?
1719146790356.jpeg

Brunlea

A bit of a GEEK!
There well may be an issue at Whistler with the download of the database. My experience has been it is always available on Friday or Saturday at the latest Unless there is a holiday involve. Today (Sunday 6/23/24) you get a message - Maybe they have been hacked?
View attachment 164530

Same error here. I thought it was my connection to the scanner at first so glad it's not just me. Hope it's just a temporary technical glitch.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The last update was May 30th, from time to time a few weeks may be missed due to a number of reasons, but it doesn't mean they've stopped.

Maybe @Whistler_Support can shed some light on the problem.... although (s)he hasn't visited the forums in over 6 months now.

HarmFamily

Premium Subscriber
View attachment 164530

Thanks for confirming this isn't a local issue. I do have a bad feeling about this. There is nothing on their website about a "down" event. The error we're getting is that there is no server service there answering our request. I assumed this was due to perhaps server maintenance on a Sunday, but it's been going on apparently now for at least a few days.

Any Whistler reps here who can respond with some answers?

That said, all the files available through the update service are there listed on the website for download. It says the latest Library DB is 879. The files within are dated 5/30/2024, almost 4 weeks ago. I have a feeling we are in for some bad news, but I'd sure appreciate someone from Whistler letting us all know what is going on, and specifically the status on updates.

Brunlea

A bit of a GEEK!
Thanks for confirming this isn't a local issue. I do have a bad feeling about this. There is nothing on their website about a "down" event. The error we're getting is that there is no server service there answering our request. I assumed this was due to perhaps server maintenance on a Sunday, but it's been going on apparently now for at least a few days.

Any Whistler reps here who can respond with some answers?

That said, all the files available through the update service are there listed on the website for download. It says the latest Library DB is 879. The files within are dated 5/30/2024, almost 4 weeks ago. I have a feeling we are in for some bad news, but I'd sure appreciate someone from Whistler letting us all know what is going on, and specifically the status on updates.

I really hope it's not bad news. I purchased a brand new TRX-2e a couple of weeks ago from ML&S in the UK and was hoping it would continue to be supported with updates.

John, from Whistler, did seem quite responsive and helpful though when I emailed Whistler support with a query about dPMR not long after receiving my scanner.

Anyway, the scanner still does a great job and I love it.

HarmFamily

Premium Subscriber
Alright, I just sent a pretty detailed email to Whistler support on the issue, indicated many of us are experiencing the issue across the board. Both my WS1080 and TRX-2 having the same results when attempting any update in their respective apps. As soon as I hear back I'll be happy to share what I learn, and if anyone here comes up with some info, please share it as well.

And to @Brunlea , the TRX-2 is a beast, congrats, I too love mine, it's a wonderful scanner and powerful! I just hope we still have update services with our scanners when this is said and done.

Fingers crossed, I'll be back with any info I can obtain to share.

Be well

Swipesy

Based upon some deep digging The WhistlerGroup's staff has decreased by 15% in 2024 and have about 15 employees now. They are a tiny company owned by I think 4 investors. Doesn't look good to me.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Based upon some deep digging The WhistlerGroup's staff has decreased by 15% in 2024 and have about 15 employees now. They are a tiny company owned by I think 4 investors. Doesn't look good to me.

Doesn't look good at all. Some interesting observations in another thread from this post on down....

jonsmth

Premium Subscriber
I just tried to connect via EZ-Scan for an update and got the same prompt everyone else seems to be getting. Fortunately, I don't move around with my scanner. It's stays stationery in my home. I do review this website frequently for any updates in my area and can just manually up-date my EZ Scan playlists with any changes. I enjoy the RS PRO-668/converted to WS-1080 scanner. It has served me very well over the years i've owned it. I do have a simul-cast systems where I live but fortunately, I'm less than a mile away from one of the simul-cast towers so that tower easily overpowers any other competing signals out there. I guess until this scanner becomes completely worthless, I'll keep on using it.

HarmFamily

Premium Subscriber
Alright, I just sent a pretty detailed email to Whistler support on the issue, indicated many of us are experiencing the issue across the board. Both my WS1080 and TRX-2 having the same results when attempting any update in their respective apps. As soon as I hear back I'll be happy to share what I learn, and if anyone here comes up with some info, please share it as well.

And to @Brunlea , the TRX-2 is a beast, congrats, I too love mine, it's a wonderful scanner and powerful! I just hope we still have update services with our scanners when this is said and done.

Fingers crossed, I'll be back with any info I can obtain to share.

Be well

Alright folks, well I received a response to my email from Whistler support. There's not much there, but I'll post the email in it's entirety for transparency. I haven't lost hope yet, his reference to a "socket" issue implies that they indeed are aware of an issue for the update process. Unless you're a network geek (guilty, 40 yr network engineer) or a guy in on the issue, nobody would toss out "socket" if indeed that wasn't the issue. I'm suspecting the services moved to a new architecture, they have a new service provider, new firewall/security model, etc....but that's just hopeful speculation on my part. Fingers crossed here, holding out hope.

Anyhow, here's the email, and again thanks to John at Whistler for his quick and frank response.

----email begin----

Subject: Re: Updates not working for WS1080 nor TRX-2 from within the respective apps

(John from Whistler replied)
Hi,

We are aware of the update/socket error issue and are looking into it

--

Thank you,
John
Whistler Scanner Support

<my name redacted> wrote:

Hello! Myself and some other Whistler scanner owners are now seeing a problem across the board with using the Updates functions pull down menu that's manifested over the past 4+ days.

From within the software for each scanner, all queries, whether for the app update, or library updates, or all, they all return unable to connect to the server.

Over the weekend, the error returned was Error #10061: Connection Refused.

Now that it's Monday, checking again returns Error #10060: Connection Timed Out

Additionally, when i visit the whistler download areas for the respective scanners in the subject line, the files are there, but the library for both is dated 5/30/2024, nearly 4 weeks old.

As this Update connectivity issue is across the board, many are experiencing it, and nothing is posted about this extended down event anywhere on the Whistler site, can someone please shed some light on this? My WS1080 in particular is out of date by about 6 months and woefully in need of update checks. My TRX-2 as well, not quite as behind as the other one.

This is of high importance as the consistent functionality of our scanners depends on at least current libraries, which appear to be from weeks ago, and the Update feature in the software fails with the errors above, again, for many of us, not just me. This is something at Whistler's end, and it's been absolutely rock solid for me for years, and now this.

Please share as to what's going on, and when things will be back to normal.

Thanks for any and all assistance, there are a lot of us counting on you! :)

Be well, standing by, and thanks again!

<my name redacted>

trp2525

This situation doesn't look too promising at all at this point. I will detail my experiences over the last few days and you can draw your own conclusions.

I called Whistler Scanner Support on Monday (June 24th) at 1-866-923-8719 to inquire about my inability to update my TRX-2 scanner. I spoke with "Brian" and I fully explained the socket error situation and he told me it was the first he had heard of it. He told me that the "guy who handles the scanner updates was out last week" but that he was going to send him an email to find out what was going on. Brian promised to call me back with a status update but I haven't heard back from him in the last 2 days.

Today I called the Whistler Scanner Support Number 1-866-923-8719 and the Whistler General Support Number 1-800-531-0004 and I can't get a live person at either number. It doesn't even give you the option to stay on hold to wait for a live representative. It repeats a message to "press 1 to leave a message" about 3 times and then the telephone system says "thank you for calling" and then dumps your call.

I did leave a message but I'm not really expecting a call back. Not giving the customer the option to stay on hold to reach a live representative during normal business hours is not a good sign IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWS

rfking123

Premium Subscriber
TRX2 EZ SCAN SOFTWARE (Latest version). I am now receiving this message when I go to check on updates in EZ SCAN: "SOCKET ERROR 10060 CONNECTION TIMED OUT." Uninstalled EZ SCAN, reloaded, no effect. Anyone face this problem. Never happened before. Thank you all for any help you can give me.

kc8jwt

Premium Subscriber
There is a thread about this here:

rfking123

Premium Subscriber
I'm also getting this error. I suspect their online services are down.

Ron
Well, that is reassuring to say the least. Radio Reference has made no mention of this matter at all. I have been going nuts to find a solution! Thanks Ron.You have my e mail. If you find any info on RR services malfunction(s), please let me know.