Windows 10 & Uniden USB Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjtodd

Feed Provider
Thank you UPMan, I just got a similar response from Uniden Support today as well: "After
further investigation we have found that .NET Framework 2.0 for Windows 10 has a bug. This issue cannot be fixed by Uniden’s drivers and unfortunately, we cannot correct 3rd party software. For your unit to work properly we suggest you use an earlier version of Windows."

Theo

Premium Subscriber
Thank you UPMan, I just got a similar response from Uniden Support today as well: "After
further investigation we have found that .NET Framework 2.0 for Windows 10 has a bug. This issue cannot be fixed by Uniden’s drivers and unfortunately, we cannot correct 3rd party software. For your unit to work properly we suggest you use an earlier version of Windows."
Yes, Thanks for finally finding the problem. So, we should get software updates from Uniden and Butel I would assume pretty soon I hope. I went back to Windows 7 weeks ago so I would love to go back to "10".

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
Yes, Thanks for finally finding the problem. So, we should get software updates from Uniden and Butel I would assume pretty soon I hope. I went back to Windows 7 weeks ago so I would love to go back to "10".

I doubt butel will I a still waiting for answer to why it drivers when some thing work. That been 20 days now. Last I heard from them it was a driver problem go ask uniden. Frankly I doubt they changed there mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

DELETED

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
For issues unrelated to using the older USB-1 (or other converter cable using the old Prolific chip set which is not supported for OS > Windows 7):

After further investigation, we found that .NET Framework 2.0 for Windows 10 has a bug. If we call GetPortNames API, .NET Framework 2.0 returns incorrect port names and adds 'strange' characters after the port name.

Others are also reporting this.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32040209/serialport-getportnames-returns-incorrect-port-names

But .NET Framework 4.0 or later don't have this issue.

This cannot be fixed by changing the driver (which is OK). Software authors must recompile their programs to use .NET Framework 4.0 (or later). We are in the process of checking/revising our software as needed. We cannot do anything about 3rd party software (i.e. ARC, Freescan, etc) not working, other than letting the software authors know what we’ve discovered.

For a work around to fix the Win 10 serial port not working caused by strange characters after the port name.

1. Go in to the Registry with regedit.exe.
2. Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM"
3. Make note of the comm port name.
4. Append a "0" or any character to the comm port name.
5. Change the comm port name back to what it was in step 3.

Last edited:

mjtodd

Feed Provider
Bob- what does deleted mean? Also what is your take on the .net framework 4.0 solution in reference to ProScan and/or RadioFeed?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob- what does deleted mean? Also what is your take on the .net framework 4.0 solution in reference to ProScan and/or RadioFeed?

My way of indicating I deleted a reply.

The problem with changing the .Net Framework version is everything needs retested and that can take months or years considering the thousands of functions using. Something may or will break. I'm keeping ProScan and RadioFeed at 2.0. I've seen the strange characters appended to the comm port name. Before I was just removing the "COM" from the comm port name. Now I'm using a better way to extract the number portion from the comm port name.

Last edited:

derevs

First I am not into programming but have a little knowledge of troubleshooting.
So, I cannot log onto any port either using PROSCAN or ARC536PRO under Windows 10. What I get is basically that the port is in use by other software but I have no other devices running that use ports. I went through the entire list of ports. Also got those strange figures after the port number.

HOWEVER, just out of curiosity, I have a 996XT and USB1 cable that I seldom use. Loaded in the latest Prolific USB to Serial driver, V1.11.0 and Proscan read the 996XT without any problems.

So my conclusion is this: if the Prolific driver is able to attach the 996XT to the computer running Windows 10, then the problem is with the Uniden Serial Port Driver and not PROSCAN or ARC536PRO or Windows 10.

Am I right or wrong on this assumption?

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
For a work around to fix the Win 10 serial port not working caused by strange characters after the port name.

1. Go in to the Registry with regedit.exe.
2. Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM"
3. Make note of the comm port name.
4. Append a "0" or any character to the comm port name.
5. Change the comm port name back to what it was in step 3.

Change to port above 10 seems to work as well. Right now I using 19 or 20. I have to switch ports some times when it says one busy. Mat least that works with proscan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Citywide74

Premium Subscriber
There is no doubt in my mind that there is a driver issue that does not allow my 996P2 to work with Windows 10. The same cable plugged into my 536 and my 436 works on both Sentitel and ARC536. When the cable is hooked to one of those scanners, it comes up in my devices as a mass storage device. When hooked up to the 996P2, it becomes Uniden Serial Port. Does not work with FreeScan or ARCXT. My 996XT with a serial cable plugged into a usb converter works on ARCXT just fine. Uniden, get your head out of your tail and fix the driver. The only other thing I can think of is the scanner is not compatible with Windows 10 and if that's the case I want my money back. For both of the p2's I own.

dfw1193

I am so sick of Microsoft breaking stuff that used to work I absolutely REFUSE to go past Windows 8 now. So all my stuff works great ... For Internet nothing beats a Macbook or Ipad ... NOTHING!

My 2 cents ... Microsoft can stick it!

phask

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried deleting and re-installing the 996 driver?

I have zero issues - 2 win10 machines , running a 996p2 and a 325p2. Use Freescan, Pro96comm. i do not run Arc - and believe their VC issue IS separate issue.

Citywide74

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. The VC partially works. Can't see the display on the monitor but I can control the scanner. What do you mean deleting the 996 driver?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Go into device manager and delete it. Then re-install it.

- a note - probably not the issue at all, but I have 3 HP1/2 and assorted other Uniden. 1 and ONLY one HP1 will never be visible - it installs the incorrect driver (USB Mass storage and NO driver even needed) every time. I just delete it, re-start the scanner and Sentinel and it works.

EDIT - the VC issue is probably/maybe the NetFramework issued described previously. I think Butel will need to fix/correct/ it.

Interesting. The VC partially works. Can't see the display on the monitor but I can control the scanner. What do you mean deleting the 996 driver?

Citywide74

Premium Subscriber
since this scanner does not work with FreeScan either, I'm thinking Uniden needs to fix it, again

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber

Yes but|scanner monitor work 100%. Proscan works provide you pick a port above 10. I been using 20.

Go into device manager and delete it. Then re-install it.

- a note - probably not the issue at all, but I have 3 HP1/2 and assorted other Uniden. 1 and ONLY one HP1 will never be visible - it installs the incorrect driver (USB Mass storage and NO driver even needed) every time. I just delete it, re-start the scanner and Sentinel and it works.

EDIT - the VC issue is probably/maybe the NetFramework issued described previously. I think Butel will need to fix/correct/ it.
I doubt they going to fix it according them it driver issues, Which it not. Or there no problem(What they claim in my paypal dispute). Despite me giving them all kinds of data. Last email i got from them was over 20 days goes saying it a driver. And they refuse to answer any emails from me. But when I reclaim and dispute with paypal they sure responded quickly to decline a refund.

I would not recomand there software to anyone. And i been using it there for years but the one time i ask for support i get none. .

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Just used the USB cable and NO Driver on a clean installed Windows 10 machine.
FreeScan (2.18b5) recognized the scanner, downloaded it's data, and performed all the functions you would expect it to.

It's not a driver issue. There is NO driver for Windows 10, it's not needed. It's either your configuration, or the software you are trying to use. This is not a Microsoft, or Uniden (at least this time) issue.

Attachments

• FreeScan.png
    FreeScan.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 902

baayers

Just used the USB cable and NO Driver on a clean installed Windows 10 machine.
FreeScan (2.18b5) recognized the scanner, downloaded it's data, and performed all the functions you would expect it to.

It's not a driver issue. There is NO driver for Windows 10, it's not needed. It's either your configuration, or the software you are trying to use. This is not a Microsoft, or Uniden (at least this time) issue.

I recently experienced the same results that you did. The only difference is that my system was upgraded from Windows 8. It is also worth noting that according to the download page the newest version of FreeScan is written in .NET 4. This would actually put them ahead of the issue as the bug affects programs written in .NET 2. I had a non-scanner program that accesses a COM Port and was written in .NET 2 that was experiencing this issue so it rules out the driver being the problem since my other program just uses the default windows drivers. Yesterday I received an updated copy of that software rewritten in .NET 4 and all is good once again.

We know for a fact the issue is not caused by Uniden and is the fault of Microsoft .NET 2.0 so hopefully The other software vendors will stop playing the blame game and do something about fixing the problem. I'll just stop and leave it at that since This is not the tavern.

Last edited:

lep

As I have observed before, my BCD996XT works fine under WIN 10 pro with ProScan 8.5, the virtual scanner looks better on my screen than it ever did under WIN 7 pro. Yes, I am running it under ADMIN privileges. My BCD785D also works but I rarely use it. For those who can't get the current releases to work, my suggestion, just revert to any earlier version if you are more comfortable with that version.

CalmWind

Windows 10 is moving on, maybe it is time Uniden did also... I like my new BCD536HP, but I was very surprised to see .Net 2.0 was needed when running Windows 10..

Status
Not open for further replies.