Windows 10 & Uniden USB Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjtodd

Feed Provider
Is anyone else having an issue with connecting to a Uniden scanner after upgrading to Windows 10? I have uninstalled/re-installed the USB driver several times and keep getting a message that the port is either in use by another program or unable to find it. Within the software, it also places a letter next to the port number. However, the Device Manager doesn't show it that way. I am trying to connect to it using the Uniden BC-VUP3 software and RadioFeed. Hopefully it is just a driver issue with Windows 10 that will be fixed by Uniden soon...

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Is anyone else having an issue with connecting to a Uniden scanner after upgrading to Windows 10? I have uninstalled/re-installed the USB driver several times and keep getting a message that the port is either in use by another program or unable to find it. Within the software, it also places a letter next to the port number. However, the Device Manager doesn't show it that way. I am trying to connect to it using the Uniden BC-VUP3 software and RadioFeed. Hopefully it is just a driver issue with Windows 10 that will be fixed by Uniden soon...

Yet another reason not to jump in and do upgrades when they first come out. (Still running WIN 7)

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
I'm having the same driver issue with Windows 10, but i've always found Prolific drivers to be difficult to deal with at times. Windows 10 installed the latest Prolific drivers, as per Prolific download webpage when I plugged the USB adapter in to PC. However those drivers won't work for me. I'll keep checking the Prolific site for updates. Worth noting, Windows 10 installed FTDI drivers for my Radio Shack Serial to USB adaptor with no issues. I run Ham Radio Deluxe on my Yaesu FTDX 1200 just fine, and also did the latest firmware update for the radio with no issues.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Just tried the Uniden cable on my Windows 7 PC with success. Windows 7 installed the Prolific 3.6.78.350 driver which is supposed to be the latest. That driver will not work on my Windows 10 PC even though the Prolific site says it will(I think)

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
I have a serial PCI device to a 996xt. No luck either.

Last edited:

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
I Upgraded one of my PC's to Windows 10 and neither the HP2 nor my 536 will work with any serial drivers.. I have uninstalled and reinstalled them both and nothing. Luckily I only did this on one PC and not another in which I still have Win 7 running.

kizashi

Same issue here. I contacted butel thinking it was their software but they say it's a Uniden driver issue. So if you have the ARC536 software don't bother asking them. You can control the scanner with the ARC software in VC mode but nothing else works. I tried using Windows 7 compatability (which is what I had previously) and it didn't work either. Has UPMAN posted anything yet?

bbtkd

Feed Provider
The problem is that Prolific is not supporting the older PL-2303 chip in the Uniden USB-1 cable under Windows 10. They didn't under Windows 8 either, but there you could run older drivers - but not under Windows 10. It appears that the USB-1 cable from Universal Radio uses the Prolific PL-2303HXD chip which is supported under Windows 10 using the latest Prolific drivers. I just ordered one and will test this. Beware that some knock-off chips that had previously worked with the Prolific drivers reportedly no longer do. It appears that the original USB-1 cables will be useless under Windows 10.

Eng74

I had an old USB-1 cable that I got when the 396 came out and I could never get it to work with Windows 8.1 also. I tried all the fixes and could not get it to work. Picked up a new cable from HRO and it works. If Windows 10 is anything like 8.1 I don't plan on switching too soon.

kizashi

I had an old USB-1 cable that I got when the 396 came out and I could never get it to work with Windows 8.1 also. I tried all the fixes and could not get it to work. Picked up a new cable from HRO and it works. If Windows 10 is anything like 8.1 I don't plan on switching too soon.

Believe it or not I think Windows 10 runs better on my system than 7 did. Besides the driver issue for my scanners I've had zero problems.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
I am not having any problems with the USB-1 cabled radios and windows 10. My 996xt and 15x work fine with Butel Software. The issue I am having is Butel Software and my 536 and HP-2. The uniden drivers will not work as far as the VC part of the program. I can upload and download frequencies just fine.

Mike

phask

Premium Subscriber
HP1 (or hp2) does not even use a USB-1 cable - just a "normal" straight thru cable.

The problem is that Prolific is not supporting the older PL-2303 chip in the Uniden USB-1 cable under Windows 10. They didn't under Windows 8 either, but there you could run older drivers - but not under Windows 10. It appears that the USB-1 cable from Universal Radio uses the Prolific PL-2303HXD chip which is supported under Windows 10 using the latest Prolific drivers. I just ordered one and will test this. Beware that some knock-off chips that had previously worked with the Prolific drivers reportedly no longer do. It appears that the original USB-1 cables will be useless under Windows 10.

ab2ms

Premium Subscriber
I have the same problem with the butel VC, will control, but not display, other software reports "com 3i" but in use by another program. Scanner monitor chrome app works great though, controls and displays. All on the same laptop running Windows 10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ab2ms

Premium Subscriber
Forgot to add, using a bcd436hp, arc536pro, tried proscan (com 3i issue)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Fireboat03

Pepsima1 Duplicate Account
Banned
I have a free upgrade too for Windows 10 and I know if I upgrade I will open up a whole can of worms. Not worth it.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
All of our scanners with native USB just plug and play with Windows 10. For older models (i.e. "XT" or "X" models) that have a serial connection, older USB-1 cables will not work, as Prolific changed their drivers several years ago to only work with their newer chipset that has anti-counterfeit features. At that time, we changed the chipset in our USB-1 cables. So, if you have an older USB-1 cable it won't work with Windows 10 (or really w/8 using current drivers). Newer (last couple of years) cables will work.

This morning I've had occasion to plug in and use the BCD996P2 and BCD536HP under serial control (and as a mass storage device, to, for the HP) and they just plug and play.

I did have to update Freescan to the latest beta build in order for the remote control mode to work.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Paul - there is a newer Freescan that SHOULD work, incorporates the latest beta.

Have not receives 10 yet.

All of our scanners with native USB just plug and play with Windows 10. For older models (i.e. "XT" or "X" models) that have a serial connection, older USB-1 cables will not work, as Prolific changed their drivers several years ago to only work with their newer chipset that has anti-counterfeit features. At that time, we changed the chipset in our USB-1 cables. So, if you have an older USB-1 cable it won't work with Windows 10 (or really w/8 using current drivers). Newer (last couple of years) cables will work.

This morning I've had occasion to plug in and use the BCD996P2 and BCD536HP under serial control (and as a mass storage device, to, for the HP) and they just plug and play.

I did have to update Freescan to the latest beta build in order for the remote control mode to work.

dallascowboys

windows 10

Hi everyone I had Windows 10 but did not like how it worked, just to let everyone know that you do have 30 days to go back to your old windows, I went back to my 8.1 windows all my stuff works fine now that I went back to the old system I had.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
Maybe it works ok with Freescan but not with ARC536 or Arc Patrol. I played with this All day yesterday and I can not get either the HP2 or the 536 to work with the remote control - VC part of those programs. I deleted all the old drivers and just let the plug and play set it up and no go. I have my other laptop that still has Win7 so I am not shut down, just relaying the fact that I and others seem to have the same issue with Windows 7 and Butel Software HP products.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.