• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radiorondon

I'm installing a Kenwood NX-700 2-way into a new (2019) Explorer. On this model the cable boot that runs through to the engine compartment is higher, behind the dash instruments. I'm looking for a wiring diagram on this vehicle (for power options). Or, suggestions to access the battery without drilling through the frame. I prefer not to use the driver side fusebox (interior). Is there any unused wire in the fuse bundle that provides 12v? Any input is appreciated. Also, I tried calling Ford directly and a local Ford service shop, but not much was offered.

RFI-EMI-GUY

There might be an upfitters guide for the 2019 Explorer that will identify spare circuits

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Unless it is a public safety model Explorer, you probably will not find any suitable wiring.

The radio needs to be connected to the battery to get clean power. Tying into existing wiring is often a source of noise and issues that will drive you nuts.

On the firewall grommet, look for a nipple sticking out into the engine compartment. If this vehicle is like any of the Ford full size pickups, modern GM pickups, etc. you should be able to cut the end off that from the engine side and access that way. I have done installs on a couple of F-350's and was able to get a 6 gauge wire through there.
You'll need to feed a wire through from the engine side, and look for it to come out under the dash. Use that to pull the POSITIVE wire for the radio back through the firewall. Carefully route the positive wire to the battery, cover it in split loom. Install a fuse or circuit breaker (radio should be fused at 15 amps) as close to the battery as you can. Run a wire from the fuse or circuit breaker to the positive battery connection point. Make sure all connections are done properly, use quality crimp connectors and crimp tools. A touch of solder on the very end can help prevent issues. I follow that up with a layer of marine grade/adhesive lined heat shrink to protect the connection and provide strain relief.

Do NOT connect the negative lead to the battery. These vehicles have a sensor on the existing negative lead going to the body that senses current consumption. Bypassing that by running the negative lead for the radio, which in turn will be grounded at the radio chassis and antenna, will bypass this feature. There's usually mention of this in the owners manual.
Instead, run the negative lead to a grounding point under the dash. This provides a short ground path. I usually ground the radio chassis too.

You can use the yellow wire coming out of the back of the radio for ignition sense. You'll have to sniff around the wiring to find an ignition switched source. The ignition switch wire kit from Kenwood (KCT-46) will come with a 3 amp fuse. You can make your own cheaper with a female bullet connector, a fuse holder, 3 amp fuse and some wire. Program the radio to use the ignition switch circuit (with the timer if you want) to have the radio turn on/off with ignition.

12dbsinad

There is a spot to drill a small hole thru the firewall on the passenger side. You'll need to remove the glove box assembly to gain access. This is done by removing the white plastic push pins underneath the box and disconnecting the release cable on the side that gives the glove box resistance as it opens.

You may have to use a long bell bit to drill as it's tight access. Don't forget to install a grommet. Don't forget to check and triple check both sides for obstructions before you drill. Follow the wiring connections that mmckenna mentions as that is all sound advise.

radiorondon

This is the diagram I received through my Fleet dept. when I inquired about proper power sources.

Attachments

• fuse_power.PNG
    fuse_power.PNG
    186.7 KB · Views: 167

ke0hfc

Use the boot for the hood release cable. Pop a hole in it with an awl or other long sharp tool then use a coat hanger to fish the wiring thru it.

The retail explorer does have the same foot well fuse block as the police version and the electrical manual can assist in figuring out which of the available "police option" circuits would be of use if you want to go that route.

I went thru this wiring my FT8900 in our 2017.

dwgelle

In my 2013 I went in under the Dash on the passenger side upper Right corner there is a boot where the Rear Washer Fluid tube runs in the the cab. It is a little tight though getting your hand up there. from both sides.

rmurphy4

do you have any pictures of your install? i will be doing some radio installs on the 2019 ford explorer and would like some ideas on where to run cables. Also would like to see where you mounted the radio itself. THanks

genemalet

Lifetime Member and RadioReference Board Member
I went to a radio shop that installs car stereos. They drilled the hole and ran the cable, put a nice fuse at the battery for 60 bucks. Done and done.....

I had to penetrate the FW at the upper right behind the glove box/ access point for the rear wiper fluid line.

almost no tools required.

I have a 2016 XLT.

dwgelle

do you have any pictures of your install? i will be doing some radio installs on the 2019 ford explorer and would like some ideas on where to run cables. Also would like to see where you mounted the radio itself. THanks
Cabes I ran down the RIghtside under the floor trim to behind the 2nd seat to the radios mounted to the floor.

Attachments

• 20151214_174117.jpg
    20151214_174117.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 20151219_113359.jpg
    20151219_113359.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 20151219_113408.jpg
    20151219_113408.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 20160928_091940.jpg
    20160928_091940.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 20160928_092405.jpg
    20160928_092405.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 151

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Cabes I ran down the RIghtside under the floor trim to behind the 2nd seat to the radios mounted to the floor.

Great pics - but what if I told you they make right-angle Cat5 cables pretty cheap? ;) Might make all the difference on the scanner cable. Amazon, and make sure the angle direction and clip side are what you need for the scanner.

dwgelle

Great pics - but what if I told you they make right-angle Cat5 cables pretty cheap? ;) Might make all the difference on the scanner cable. Amazon, and make sure the angle direction and clip side are what you need for the scanner.
lol ya thanks, I had gotten one, but I got the wrong one and it angled forward vs backwards, so have to get the other one ordered yet..

Status
Not open for further replies.