At wit's end - 'Sentinel Has Stopped Working'!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Ok so I tried SafeMode and it won't even open in SafeMode!! Same exact little 5-second 'Program has stopped working, etc' window thing!

And yes there's only one account on the computer and it *is* the administrator account. Under 'User Accounts Settings' there is an option to sign in as a 'Local User' instead - I guess instead of the Microsoft Account? How do I make this 'built-in' admin account or confirm that my dad's account IS the built-in admin account?

Also, the DEP thing "Turn on DEP for essential Windows Programs and Services only" is the option that is checked.

I haven't had the time to back his stuff up and reset the laptop, but will do it soon if no one comes up with the magic solution (which I'm no longer hopeful for). We do back up all our stuff on an external HDD every once in a while - it's probably been at least 6 months since either of us has backed up, though.

Here is how to enable the built in admin account...
Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I know you tried a lot of things but I ran across this on Microsoft. Don't know if you tried this tool...
Download Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center

This tool may not work on win 10...

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
In Win7 OS, this is called the "Super Administrator" account. The process for enabling/disabling is limited to the CMD Box method.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
In Win7 OS, this is called the "Super Administrator" account. The process for enabling/disabling is limited to the CMD Box method.

Yeah... It's the same for win 10... Elevated command prompt.. and paste..

net user administrator /active:yes
to enable it

net user administrator /active:no
to disable it...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
DEP will notify you if it has blocked your application, and Sentinel is not the type of program that would get blocked by DEP.
I have seen a couple of other threads where the programming software crashed, or failed to start, with no warning, and the fix was DEP. More commonly, yes, it should generate a visible error code, but there have been instances where no warning was noted.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Ok so I'm kind of figuring out the Event Viewer thing and I found like a million of these Sentinel error events - one of them has this in the details:

Fault bucket 128883501061, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: bcdx36hp_sentinel.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 52d650a7
P4: System.Configuration
P5: 2.0.0.0
P6: 554af8df
P7: 1a9
P8: 4d
P9: IOIBMURHYNRXKW0ZXKYRVFN0BOYYUFOW
P10:

Maybe the "user.config" file is corrupted. Check out this link.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/956762

The path "Documents and Settings" has changed in later Win. versions. Go to "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Uniden"

I would delete the folders starting with "BCDx36HP_Sentinel.exe_Url" Inside the folder is "user.config" file. Restart Sentinel and the folder and the user.config file should recreate.

Last edited:

HamDaughter

OOHH. MMYY. GOSSHH.

ProScan (Bob) . . .

IT WORKED!!! LOL!!! I deleted the user.config file from the Uniden folder under my dad's account folder and then clicked the Sentinel icon on the desktop . . .

AND. IT. OPENED!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I can't believe it!!! That simple!! I would never have thought that would have even worked - almost didn't even try it!! Wow . . . thank you SO much!! So so so much!! I haven't actually gotten his radio and hooked it up and tried to do updates or anything but . . . it OPENED!! I am ecstatic!!! I know he will be, too!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! I will let you know whether it works with the radio and if we get all the updates and stuff working.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

The path "Documents and Settings" has changed in later Win. versions. Go to "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Uniden"

I would delete the folders starting with "BCDx36HP_Sentinel.exe_Url" Inside the folder is "user.config" file. Restart Sentinel and the folder and the user.config file should recreate.

OOHH. MMYY. GOSSHH.

ProScan (Bob) . . .

IT WORKED!!! LOL!!! I deleted the user.config file from the Uniden folder under my dad's account folder and then clicked the Sentinel icon on the desktop . . .

AND. IT. OPENED!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I can't believe it!!! That simple!! I would never have thought that would have even worked - almost didn't even try it!! Wow . . . thank you SO much!! So so so much!! I haven't actually gotten his radio and hooked it up and tried to do updates or anything but . . . it OPENED!! I am ecstatic!!! I know he will be, too!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! I will let you know whether it works with the radio and if we get all the updates and stuff working.

Awesome job Bob!

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Well Congrats!!!!! That was suggested Nov 8. Guess it got lost in the wash..

{{perhaps there are other locations that retain uniden files despite running uninstall. try searching your entire pc for remains after you've uninstalled it (one more time). search the entire c drive (or computer) for uniden and delete the folders that remain. in program files, documents, app data, program data, (((users))), ect.. Then run Norton Utilities again until no problems remain. Then Reboot And run it again. Then try installing the newest version. it's gotta work!}}

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Well Congrats!!!!! That was suggested Nov 8. Guess it got lost in the wash..

{{perhaps there are other locations that retain uniden files despite running uninstall. try searching your entire pc for remains after you've uninstalled it (one more time). search the entire c drive (or computer) for uniden and delete the folders that remain. in program files, documents, app data, program data, (((users))), ect.. Then run Norton Utilities again until no problems remain. Then Reboot And run it again. Then try installing the newest version. it's gotta work!}}

I didn't see this before myself else I probably wouldn't of suggested the fix. Your suggestions are good but for some unknown reason, a "Uniden" search in the "Documents" folder doesn't show the "AppData" folders. I guess that's the MS way and why does MS need to sprinkle data in all these folders.

OOHH. MMYY. GOSSHH.

ProScan (Bob) . . .

You're very welcome HamDaughter. The key was the Event Viewer data you posted. Thanks to CalmWind for suggesting it.

Awesome job Bob!
Thanks. Appreciate it.

HamDaughter

Hello again! My dad has hooked up the radio and updated everything and it still seems to be working fine!! Thanks again - to everyone!! Maybe this thread will also help someone else some day who has a similar issue!! Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!!

Cynthia :)

ezdropper

Premium Subscriber

Was having the same issue here and the fix above worked... I just deleted everything under the C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Uniden folder and reinstalled Sentinel.

kmi8dy

i had left my laptop on overnight about 10 or 12 days ago and i noticed when i got up the next morning that microsoft downloaded a update, something about better security for some other programs that they use from 2nd parties. i think it was for realtek but not sure. it was downloaded but not yet installed. it asked me if i wanted to install now or later, so i picked now. it must have been a large one because it took about 20 min to do so. when it finished i noticed that half ( 15 ) of my desktop icons were missing including freescan.plus when ever i scrolled up or down on any internet page it was very choppy, and the scrool had about a 10 to 15 second lag time. i went into the computer and uninstalled the update and now everything is ok. just thought i would pass that on.

Status
Not open for further replies.