BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8VI

Premium Subscriber
Very pleased with repairs

Both 536HP and 436HP had RTC issues and both displays were dimming.

Received approval to ship on 2/3/16
- 2/3 - shipped both units UPS from OH to TX
- 2/9 - received by Uniden service
- 2/18 both 536 and 436 were repaired and shipped at the end of day
- 2/23 received both units in new packing and box along with a blue bottle opener - thanks

BCD436HP - Control board was replaced along with the LED's - slight yellow tint
BCD536HP - Battery Modification along with replacing led diodes D415, 416, 417 and D418 - Screen looks a lot brighter.

I am very pleased with Uniden repairing these scanners. Not many company's would incur the expense and aggravation of supporting this campaign. While they were in for repair I purchased a new HP-2 - another excellent scanner to add to the collection. That is what loyal customers do with when a company stands behind their products.

Thank you Paul O and everyone in service for making this happen. Great work!

73, Gary

Voyager

What's even better is that they didn't cave in to pressure and they took the time to "get it right".

wise871

Database Admin
Sent off my last 536 on Monday and arrived at Uniden today. It was the last one for RTC battery issues. It finally developed the issue last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OHIOSCAN

Uniden did a great 12 work day turnaround on both 536 & 436 for RTC & LED issue and the 536 works great and the new white screen is a ton better. The 436 screen not so great, kind of a ugly yellowish tint like others have reported. Kinda curious why they did not use the white led for the 436..

wise871

Database Admin
Uniden did a great 12 work day turnaround on both 536 & 436 for RTC & LED issue and the 536 works great and the new white screen is a ton better. The 436 screen not so great, kind of a ugly yellowish tint like others have reported. Kinda curious why they did not use the white led for the 436..

I wonder if they even looked at the new 436 LEDs when they got in the replacement boards in. I know that many of us had sent them in when Uniden requested them but they sat around due to a delay in getting the initial batch of boards in. Once they arrived they quickly swapped out the boards and shipped them out that day. I'm sure the service techs noticed this right off the bat. Many of with the first returns pointed this out but folks didn't believe us. I wish I never sent in 436. Mine only had the battery issue. The bright white display was perfect. Now I barely touch it.

OHIOSCAN

Both my displays where bad, but now the 436 is even worse. The White 536 screen is great, would of been nice to see that done to the 436.

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
I just received my 536 back today. Screen seems the same, but I hadn't noticed an issue with it. Diodes were replaced. Battery fixed, maybe.

What DID NOT get fixed was the headphone issue. I very specifically wrote on paper that it needed to be addressed too. The unit cannot be listened to with a headphone due to the extremely loud popping noise from pressing keys.

Kinda upset this wasn't addressed.

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Got my shipping label for the Uniden BCD536HP. QUESTION: Are we supposed to insure the package or is Uniden self-insured in case of loss? I searched this thread and could find no response on this issue. Thanks in advance!

73, Dave K4EET

jeremyzone

Well I got my 436HP back today. On the plus side, the turnaround was very quick. It was exactly a week from me shipping it off to getting it back. It helps to live in Texas (UPS ground was next business day delivery)

My scanner had the "control board modification". Unfortunately, the new screen tint on the 436HP is horrible. I thought that the pictures in this thread didn't look too bad. But pictures don't really do it justice.

In other news, I was surprised that my firmware was downgraded from 1.10.02 to 1.09.02

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Well I got my 436HP back today. On the plus side, the turnaround was very quick. It was exactly a week from me shipping it off to getting it back. It helps to live in Texas (UPS ground was next business day delivery)

My scanner had the "control board modification". Unfortunately, the new screen tint on the 436HP is horrible. I thought that the pictures in this thread didn't look too bad. But pictures don't really do it justice.

In other news, I was surprised that my firmware was downgraded from 1.10.02 to 1.09.02

Did you insure the shipment or just ship it with the provided UPS label?

73, Dave K4EET

Voyager

This has been explained many times on RR. The new board is a replacement that was manufactured prior to the release of 1.10.02 so it will not have that update.

Bob132

Yes I tried changing the settings for contrast and dimmer. I use the "medium" dim setting and contrast at 12. I am getting more used to the color but I still don't like it
Bummer, my 536 has the white screen but i have a hard time seeing it in certain mobile lighting conditions. I have the contrast set at a full 15 and brightness on high for the best (but not greatest) viewing experience..

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I just received my 536 back today. Screen seems the same, but I hadn't noticed an issue with it. Diodes were replaced. Battery fixed, maybe.

What DID NOT get fixed was the headphone issue. I very specifically wrote on paper that it needed to be addressed too. The unit cannot be listened to with a headphone due to the extremely loud popping noise from pressing keys.

Kinda upset this wasn't addressed.

Check the back for a 3 year warranty sticker. I mentioned that my 536HP required the headphone mod. Nothing was mentioned in the repair paper that was returned with the scanner but it had the new 3 year warranty sticker on the back. I saw earlier in this thread that if there is a 3 year warranty sticker on the scanner then the headphone mod was completed.

Soundman

I have the same tint with mine to .I am pissed I would have not sent it in if it was going to looked like that . I loved the white . Thy do have a 90 warranty . You don't like it send it back .

Status
Not open for further replies.