BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobilejoe

Just started having issues

Glad this campaign is still open, my BCD536HP started having clock issues a couple of days ago.

ecfc127

Premium Subscriber
Sent my 536 out for repair a couple weeks ago, repaired and returned in a timely manner. Uniden communicated by email throughout the process.

My experience with the return and repair went very well. All repairs complete and unit is working perfectly.

Thank You Uniden!

lacadien72

Premium Subscriber
Uniden Repair Campaign (non-US) - my 436HP

Hi,
I live in Canada. I received the instructions to return my 436HP via UPS, with a reference number (7094).

But, back in April 2014, I sent my 536HP for repair via UPS and the package we returned back to me a couple of weeks later. It was not accepted at US Customs. Reason: missing commercial invoice. Someone at Uniden had to sent me a commercial invoice for my 536, to stick on the box for UPS.

I have a feeling that again, I need a commercial invoice to put on the box that I will ship to you via UPS. Can someone from Uniden confirm that if I need a commercial invoice or not?

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
UPS RMA number

Hi,
I live in Canada. I received the instructions to return my 436HP via UPS, with a reference number (7094).

But, back in April 2014, I sent my 536HP for repair via UPS and the package we returned back to me a couple of weeks later. It was not accepted at US Customs. Reason: missing commercial invoice. Someone at Uniden had to sent me a commercial invoice for my 536, to stick on the box for UPS.

I have a feeling that again, I need a commercial invoice to put on the box that I will ship to you via UPS. Can someone from Uniden confirm that if I need a commercial invoice or not?

I'll let Uniden answer for sure but I did send a 436 and 536 to Uniden for repair from Canada and had no problems. The key at UPS was to use the return authorisation number in the return authorisation (RMA) box on the form.

I did also get reimbursed for the UPS shipping to Uniden once both units were done.

lacadien72

Premium Subscriber
I'll let Uniden answer for sure but I did send a 436 and 536 to Uniden for repair from Canada and had no problems. The key at UPS was to use the return authorisation number in the return authorisation (RMA) box on the form.

I did also get reimbursed for the UPS shipping to Uniden once both units were done.

Great! Thank you for this info.

ccking

I have a reference number to send in my 436. I'm a bit concerned about the reports of darker screens being reported here. Does UPman know if all screens are being replaced. Older eyes have trouble with darker screens. I don't want to trade a mild problem for a bigger one.
Thanks

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I'm assuming this is still going on? I haven't had any issues until a few weeks ago when the clock reset started happening. I did all the testing and troubleshooting but it's still happening. *edit* Filling out the form for the repair now.

I do have one dumb question though. I don't really care about the programming in the scanner. I have profiles set up on my computer with those saved and can load that back in in seconds. But I also have recorded audio files on the scanner. I'm hoping those won't be lost during any repairs. Will they? If they will I'll just have to fire up Audacity before I send it away but don't have a lot of time to do it right now so if I don't have to worry about it I won't bother with it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm assuming this is still going on? I haven't had any issues until a few weeks ago when the clock reset started happening. I did all the testing and troubleshooting but it's still happening. *edit* Filling out the form for the repair now.

I do have one dumb question though. I don't really care about the programming in the scanner. I have profiles set up on my computer with those saved and can load that back in in seconds. But I also have recorded audio files on the scanner. I'm hoping those won't be lost during any repairs. Will they? If they will I'll just have to fire up Audacity before I send it away but don't have a lot of time to do it right now so if I don't have to worry about it I won't bother with it.
When sending your scanner in for the repair campaign, the instructions are to remove all accessory parts. Including the antenna, belt clip, batteries, brackets, and the micro-SD card. Your audio files are on the card, so if you follow the instructions, they'll be safe at home till your repaired unit gets back.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
When sending your scanner in for the repair campaign, the instructions are to remove all accessory parts. Including the antenna, belt clip, batteries, brackets, and the micro-SD card. Your audio files are on the card, so if you follow the instructions, they'll be safe at home till your repaired unit gets back.

Good deal. I didn't get any of the information yet so that's nice to know. Thank you.

JamesO

I waited 2 1/2 years to send my 536HP in for repair. I am glad I waited. With early reports of poorly boxed returns and the other problems that cropped up over the few years, I just sat on the sidelines and waited it out.

I had a very early radio with the Headphone Jack problem, then the clock battery and the display LED's started to fade. So I just sent my radio in for the Trifecta repair and received it back.

Turn around time was pretty quick, although it took like 1 week to get to Uniden, but no real complaints as I have TOO many other radios, I was missed, but I had other radios to use in the interim.

Radio was packed very well, wrapped in bubble wrap and no damage. Display is much brigher and still a white LED color, no yellowing as some had stated,

Comments on the repair paperwork indicated that D415, D416, D417 and D418 were replaced along with the Headphone Jack Modification and Battery Modification.

My DMR key did not need to be reloaded, however, I had to reconnect to my Wifi network and re-enter the Wifi key.

So far, so good, I will probably keep the backlight on low or off. But I am sure someone will be able to have part numbers for the LED's if they fade again in the future. Very unusual for LED's to fade this fast, I kind of wonder if they are drawing too much current due to the circuit design or if there was a bad batch of LED's. I cannot recall any LED's fading at this rate in all the years I have been around electronics.

Next off is my 436HP for the clock battery and I may commend on the screen backlight on that radio. I need to look it much more in detail before I comment on the screen brightness on the 436HP.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I sent my second 536 in for repair recently, noting the fading backlight and the clock issues. Received the unit back in a very appropriate amount of time. The techs repaired the backlight, the clock issue AND took it upon themselves to fix the earphone plug issue which I didn't even know I had!

BRAVO to Uniden for the repairs.

Mike

ccking

dark screens

I have a reference number to send in my 436. I'm a bit concerned about the reports of darker screens being reported here. Does UPman know if all screens are being replaced. Older eyes have trouble with darker screens. I don't want to trade a mild problem for a bigger one.
Thanks

I suspect UPman has his hands full. Does anyone know for sure whether 436 units are coming back with darker screens. The clock thing is a little annoying but really not as big a deal than the screen being harder to read. I love this product and use it every day.
Thanks for any feedback you can give.

slwilson28625

Premium Subscriber
Dim display after Uniden repair campaign repair

I sent one of my two 536HPs in earlier this year and they repaired the dim screen but it was still never bright enough to read in daylight. Later i sent in my other 536HP and the display lights were repaired and it is noticeably brighter. Can I still sent my first unit back in to repair the display lights again through this campaign?

Whelen

Premium Subscriber
After extensive research, I believe I have found the part number for the replacement LEDs for the display. I am ordering some today and will replace them myself as soon as they arrive. I will post an update as soon as I can. In the mean time, here is the link to order if anyone wants to tackle this as well!

LTST-S220TBKT Lite-On Inc. | Optoelectronics | DigiKey

OR, if you are concerned about that particular manufacturer, here is an alternative manufacturer's product;

APA2106VBC/D Kingbright | Optoelectronics | DigiKey

SCPD

QRT
Received my prepaid ups label via website but did not receive an email stating how to package and return..
will this display that has gotten very dim also be replaced as others have claimed on the 436... and will the reception be repaired at same time? weather channels are barely received with only 1 bar on 162.400 mhz with attenuater off
and local systems within 5 miles will not recieve

Thanks in advance

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Received my prepaid ups label via website but did not receive an email stating how to package and return..
will this display that has gotten very dim also be replaced as others have claimed on the 436... and will the reception be repaired at same time? weather channels are barely received with only 1 bar on 162.400 mhz with attenuater off
and local systems within 5 miles will not recieve

Thanks in advance
Pack the scanner securely, so that there is no shipping damage. I used some of those "air bags" that came with an Amazon order to keep the scanners from rattling around in the box during transit. Bubble wrap would also work. Do not return in the original 'retail' box.

Remove all accessories before shipping (no ac adapters, the memory card, brackets (and the knobs) for the 536, belt clip for the 436, antenna (and SMA->BNC adapter, for the 436), as well as batteries in the 436.

If there is another issue, besides the clock &/or display, add a not. Both of mine came back in excellent condition, no unresolved issues.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Mark return number on the parcel

Pack the scanner securely, so that there is no shipping damage. I used some of those "air bags" that came with an Amazon order to keep the scanners from rattling around in the box during transit. Bubble wrap would also work. Do not return in the original 'retail' box.

Remove all accessories before shipping (no ac adapters, the memory card, brackets (and the knobs) for the 536, belt clip for the 436, antenna (and SMA->BNC adapter, for the 436), as well as batteries in the 436.

If there is another issue, besides the clock &/or display, add a not. Both of mine came back in excellent condition, no unresolved issues.

Don't forget to mark the return number in black pen on the parcel.

Status
Not open for further replies.