BCD536HP First Firmware Update v1.03.03 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You right and there is something different with the firmware but no details were released.
Have you read the release notes posted in the Uniden Twiki?

It clearly states:

Fixed an issue where starting of some vehicles caused the scanner's audio to stop working.

It appears that Uniden fixed the problem by forcing the scanner to reboot if the supply voltage drops below a set level. As others have stated, the supply voltage to your scanner may be dropping below the threshold allowed by the new firmware. As a result, your scanner is rebooting when you start the vehicle. How you solve the voltage drop problem is outside the scope of this thread.

JamesO

I don't know why I would need to revisit my installation when it worked perfectly before the firmware update. You right and there is something different with the firmware but no details were released.

Here is the deal, maybe Uniden needs to put a user configurable option in the firmware/software that can "switch" on or off the low Voltage detect issue??

I have no specific details on what Uniden did to resolve the issue where the scanner would loose audio on some engine/vehicle starts if the scanner was still on.

Just because the scanner would not have an issue with the original firmware and now has an issue with the newer firmware, this does not mean you may need to revisit your installation/DC Voltage supply.

You may need to put a diodes and a small SLA battery to "float" the scanner.

The newer models of scanners have a LOT more software and logic and they appear to be more sensitive to low Voltage drop outs.

After hearing all of this, I will be inclined to put a small "float" battery and isolation in even for my 996XT and remote head installation.

lasertwist

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Root Hog, Idaho - Composite rhyolite dome
536HP and the little things that really do matter in the end

There was other changes that are very Minor but fixed or look better or work better on the 536. For instance the Volume you could turn it slowly 5 or 6 Clicks even more before it would even Reolize you was turning the knob. Same thing with the Squelch.. You could turn that thing all day long at times and NO Response. I have turned it all the way to Zero and leave it.. and it will never break the squelch until it hears something and then OH the squelch is zero and hen start making all kinds of racket.. it's as if the scanner is so busy that it doesn't know what it's left hand is doing unless you tug on it's thumb. It Acts Absent Minded about the little things they over looked in the Details. :D

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
BCD536HP First Maintenance Release v1.03.03 Available

My voltage remains steady and I have a new battery. As I stated before I've been running the 536 for almost a month now and this is a first since the update. My neighbor Signal 500 is also seeing the same thing. No explanation was given on the update on how it handles vehicle start ups.

Dan, it seems that the newest firmware has a "low voltage detect" option. If the voltage dips below a certain threshold, it will restart the scanner. I'm sure this is Unidens workaround for the "no audio when starting a vehicle" issue. Even though we did not have that issue on our installs, it seems others did and the newest firmware made this change.

In order to keep the scanner from restarting every time we start our vehicle, we will need to install a 12 volt voltage stabilizer on the power lead of the scanner.

wise871

Database Admin
Dan, it seems that the newest firmware has a "low voltage detect" option. If the voltage dips below a certain threshold, it will restart the scanner. I'm sure this is Unidens workaround for the "no audio when starting a vehicle" issue. Even though we did not have that issue on our installs, it seems others did and the newest firmware made this change.

In order to keep the scanner from restarting every time we start our vehicle, we will need to install a 12 volt voltage stabilizer on the power lead of the scanner.

Just great :(. Now I need to buy a part I didn't need before hand.

James - I was just going by your original message were you said the following "You might need to revisit you installation and/or get with Uniden to find out what the firmware fix was."

W9BU - I saw the release notes on the firmware update but it does not state that your scanner will reboot on you. It through me when the display just blacked out. If the release notes had said this is what would happen then I wouldn't have posted the original question in the notes. Something like "ATTN: If you voltage drops below a certain level your scanner will reboot to prevent damage during startup."

Thanks everyone. Off to find a 12 volt voltage stabilizer :(

Last edited:

AC2OY

After the firmware update scanner does sound better audio wise. I never noticed any long squelch tail or anything. It actually stopped of a Air Force frequency!!!

JamesO

Thanks as always Doug but thats a lot of $$$ just to operate one scanner that worked before. I guess I'll just live with it. No more running into convince stores for coffee and leaving my scanner on.

A $15 SLA battery and a few diodes that will carry the current the scanner draws, about $30 or less it parts.

No need for an expensive DC Voltage stabilizer.

In some very special applications, I can see spending the money on an expensive DC power stabilizer, but for the hobbyist, the SLA/Diodes for under $30 should do the trick.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber

Thanks as always Doug but thats a lot of $$$ just to operate one scanner that worked before. I guess I'll just live with it. No more running into convince stores for coffee and leaving my scanner on.

Don't worry Dan, I'm taking JamesO advice and will build us something that will fix the restart/reboot.

wise871

Database Admin

Don't worry Dan, I'm taking JamesO advice and will build us something that will fix the restart/reboot.

Sounds good Doug. Keep me updated. Got to have my coffee in the morning when I head to work. :)

Should have it installed so that the Acc wire is the trigger.

This is how I have my install done. When I go to start my truck, it kills power to all my toys.. so it don't put more stress on my battery when trying to start..

Also look at this way. Some things can get damaged when the voltage drops to lower, and the best part about this when I turn my truck off it kills all my toy's so they ain't drawing any power to kill the battery.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Here's something from the manual on page 10:

"If the scanner loses power (as when you turn off your car’s ignition with the scanners power switch on), it can corrupt the microSD card. To ensure that does not happen, turn off the scanner before turning the car’s ignition off."

lasertwist

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Root Hog, Idaho - Composite rhyolite dome
SMART AND PROPER

Should have it installed so that the Acc wire is the trigger.

This is how I have my install done. When I go to start my truck, it kills power to all my toys.. so it don't put more stress on my battery when trying to start..

Also look at this way. Some things can get damaged when the voltage drops to lower, and the best part about this when I turn my truck off it kills all my toy's so they ain't drawing any power to kill the battery.

There ya go!.... you got the idea..... :D

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
The TWIKI says, among other things, "Fixed an issue where the USB serial mode would stop working in some conditions."

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but in the past hour or so of scanning while in "Serial Port", I've not seen the dreaded change from "Serial Port" to "Mass Storage". Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Happened to me 3 times Friday after the update and twice yesterday. No set pattern. Last night it happened only after about 2 minutes then again after about 1 hour.

kellykeeton

I have no equipment in any vehicle that don't suffer from voltage drop during the starter running.. I don't see a problem personally.

lawman210

If I am happy with scanners current performance should I wait to update firmware?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.