Boot Legging

This topic, Boot leg hamming has a reputation that's not easy to put a good spin on.
But I'll try
Again, this is not an endorsement- just a tale.

During the Second World War, ham radio cess'd in the United States, as it did in many other countries. Surprising (to me) is that it didn't in Nazi Germany- but, another story.
In America ham stations were silenced, transmitter sealed- many radios gather'd up and secured until the war's end. The reasons, and fears, were obvious.
My grandfather's modest little station went QRT, but he had other things to entertain him, for he had joined the Army Air Force, and was serving as a B-24 bombardier in the 8th Air Force. **

960.jpg

On a few occasions, on the return flights after completing their mission, he would often spell the bomber's radio operator, for he was after all, a ham-- and very good at Morse. The long distance communications were usually on HF CW and required a person that could do code. Here was his chance to sit at a code key.

radio_area.jpg
radio position, B24

Thru out the world, many radio operators were hams and it was hard for many them not, on occasion - to 'ham it up."
Which brings us to 1945 and the final days of the war. The war in Europe was rapidly drawing to a conclusion.... on radio it was getting hard to maintain net discipline. After all, many of the operators were hams; they sensed this would all be over soon, -- and they had contained themselves long enuff.

It started innocently enuff... short little "NME IS BOB UR 59N HW CPY?"' QSO's with other Allied stations. But shortly my grandfather got called by a ham, friend and radio officer at the airfield's radio station--

"You have got to come listen to this !"

On a command HF channel it was Bedlam. Dozen upon dozens of CW signals piled upon each other, others spreading hundreds of kilocycles (yes, kc's., let's keep it 40's) -up and down from that channel. It was a glorious night of Amateur Radio. Hams were talking ham stuff right and left.

They all used made up callsigns- But by what amazed was that it wasn't just Allied Forces, but Axis operators as well--- all mixed in the fun. That night there was no war going on- they were just being hams.
This lasted for several nights before a high powered command station came on frequency and threatene'd to 'kick as*s' and take names"-- but this was ignored with a lot of "raspsberries."

Heck, they were boot legger's scattered all across Europe- like this was some big threat.

In the end that command station cleared the channel by broadcasting wide band RTTY. Things settled back to boring-- but the fun that night was never forgotten.

Lauri

Cindy 66.jpg

** 389th Bomb Group (Heavy) , Norwich, England

Token

Cleve/W5CEM "Mass-Man's" ** posting brought a conversation to mind- that of the lost (?) fine art of radio ham's 'boot legging.' For those who don't know what I am talking about, "boot legging" is as old as radio- its the use of a fictitious, or 'borrowd' callsign, usually by unlicensed persons. My grandfather, who was my font of hamming-day histories, would tell me tales of the 1930's onward - and he told me this was quite a common practice. In those early golden days everyone used CW; there were no computer data banks for instant license verification; it was easy to stay anonymous-- and many hams got their unofficial starts this way.

I have all the old radio journals my great aunt kept-- her 'logbooks' of sorts, for she was a 'telegrapher' for the Marconic Wireless Telegraph Company. In addition to her company logs, she kept studious private notebooks, written in a beautiful Spencerian hand of all sorts of things wireless--- callsigns, wavelengths, the adjustments settings of her rotary spark, and later Poulsen arc converter transmitters...... and on and on. There is even a short entry about some conversations she had with other operators over what transpired on the night of 12 April 1912 (though she wasn't on the air that evening.)

View attachment 130011
"CJ" at 18

What is interesting is her side notes about the "QSO"s" she had unofficially with the other Marconi girls. They would use their initals (she was"CJ") as their callsigns, and when traffic was light, they'd switch wavelengths and 'rag chew,' often at length. The company frowned on this practices, but ace 'brass pounders' like these women*** came at premium, so the honcho's look the other way.
She continued to use her initials as her self assigned call for the remainder of the spark era- and as far as I can determine, she never held any official license, ham or otherwise.

Just working from memory here, so hopefully not going to make too many mistakes.

I am very familiar with bootlegging, it has a long history in ham radio and I would venture to say a surprising number of old time hams started out that way, or have done it at one time or another in their past.

With that said, regarding CJ, and her operations.

Any operations she pursued using the callsign "CJ" would have been legal, and not boot legging, in April of 1912.

If I remember right here was no federal requirement for licensing, and no assigned callsigns, band, or frequencies, until after the Radio Act of 1912, which took effect December 13, 1912. Before that time all amateur radio (and corporate / military) callsigns were "made up". I believe the first "official" US amateur licensee was Irving Vermilya, receiving the official callsign 1ZE in December of 1912.

This, of course, led to issues like the same callsign being in use by more than one station. Lets take the callsign "CJ" for example, as used in 1911. We have you great aunt, using CJ, and at least 2 other stations, the callsign CJ was used by a county service in Sault St Marie, Michigan, and by the vessel "San Juan", owned by the NY and PR Steam Ship Company. I also find a ham station using CJ, but cannot confirm that in the "Third Annual Official Wireless Blue Book, 1911"

T!

I love history and stepping back into radio's is fascinating

I was wrong to equate my aunt's use of her initials with boot legged callsigns, for as T! accurately points out, in her time there were no government assigned calls. It was much like what you hear on Citizen Band today, where you can legally call yourself anything you like.
The Marconi Company had a powerful monopoly on radio in those days, and assigned their stations company callsigns. Traffic between non-Marconi stations was a taboo. Thru out my aunts journal she would refer to her station as "M "(-)(-)" in the format of these other stations listed below.

1913 Callsigns - 001s.jpg

From what I can gather, she and her fellow operators used their initials more like hams might use 'handles' or tactical callsigns.

I have, from some of her journal entry's -----

"SL explained her rotary was off timing' - I didn't recognize her tonight."

In the days of spark, each operator had not only their unique 'fist' when sending code, but a unique sound to their transmitter depending on their personal adjustments. With the wide band nature of spark and the broad response of their receivers, these operators would often hear several stations at once. It was the sharp acuity of the operator's ears and brain that were their 'notch filters.' "Fists" and unique signal sounds were all they need for an ID.

I wish I knew more about this interesting woman, but like most family histories, her's has faded to a small collection of journals, papers and photo's in a wooden box.

Lauri

spongella

Premium Subscriber
As a kid in the 60's a buddy of mine brought over his Remco Caravelle radio. It was a birthday present from his parents and received/transmitted on the AM broadcast band. Even though there was a warning on the radio to not use an extended antenna we ran a long wire across my Mom's clothesline. We got a range of a few blocks. Another one of our gang would stand in front of our house to watch for the FCC. Fun times growing up.

6079smithw

I haven't heard that name mentioned in ages! Never had one, though.
However, in my junior HS days, I may have modulated an old RCA test oscillator with a low power audio amp and connected it to a long wire antenna.
Reminds me of a few old friends from my home town...

Golay

My favorite boot legg'd callsign was one my father told me of--- it was during one of those crazy- pile up infested DX contests when blood in the water causes the 20 metre piranha to devour even their young----

"..................CQ Contest ! CQ contest !....this is Sugar Hotel One Tango........"

and quite a pile ensued....

He said that it was quite obvious something was rotting in Denmark ** - but it was a DX contest after all---best work first, question later :rolleyes: !

Lauri

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

** Hamlet

When I decided to get my vanity, I seriously considered getting W8BLT or K8BLT.
I was thinking just how effective yelling "Bacon Lettuce Tomato" would be during a pile up. I ended up choosing my initials.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Did anyone hear BZ4F back in the early '70s? Had to have been a bootlegger. 40m.