gofasters4

You will only hear Troop H traffic on the Troop F simulcast site if a user on that site is affiliated to H Disp 1.

I had figured that a new tower in southern H was turned up on 6/18 so radios there stopped roaming onto F's site.
What threw me for a loop in that understanding regarding affiliated radios is that up till late yesterday afternoon, I was seeing routine Groton and Stonington PD's traffic on F's site. Far from their geographic area in E.

JimmyMac

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon... Will I be able to pickup the CSP using either a Pro 2096 or a Pro 197 ?.

Thanks in advance ,
Jay

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon... Will I be able to pickup the CSP using either a Pro 2096 or a Pro 197 ?.

Thanks in advance ,
Jay

The system being discussed in this thread CSERN cannot be monitored with those two scanners. CSERN is set up as a P25 Phase II system. However the older CSP Motorola Type II SmartZone can be listened to on your scanners. Just make sure you load the correct system when you programmed your scanner.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The system being discussed in this thread CSERN cannot be monitored with those two scanners. CSERN is set up as a P25 Phase II system.
It's a Phase II capable system overall, however the overwhelming majority of talkgroups are operating in Phase I mode. Any Phase I capable scanner will be able to track those talkgroups, and will simply ignore the handful of Phase II talkgroups.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Izzy,

I monitor the CSERN system on a 996XT and 396XT just fine. Neither scanner is P25 Phase II

(I also receive them on the 325P2)

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/csern.389614/page-14#post-3141759
It's a Phase II capable system overall, however the overwhelming majority of talkgroups are operating in Phase I mode. Any Phase I capable scanner will be able to track those talkgroups, and will simply ignore the handful of Phase II talkgroups.

Didn't realize the inner workings of the system would allow Phase I monitoring on our scanners. Thought it needed to be a Phase II capable scanner. Learned something new!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Didn't realize the inner workings of the system would allow Phase I monitoring on our scanners. Thought it needed to be a Phase II capable scanner. Learned something new!
Yep, what's most important is what's happening at the talkgroup level. Any talkgroups that are still operating in FDMA (Phase I) mode will track fine with scanners/radios that can't handle Phase II. The control channel is always FDMA, which is the key to the backwards compatibility.

So for those with older non-Phase II capable scanners, look at the talkgroup Mode column in the RRDB. If you see D that indicates FDMA (Phase I), which your scanner can track. If you see T in the Mode column, those talkgroups operate in TDMA (Phase II) mode, which older scanners cannot track. Note that some systems allow TDMA talkgroups to revert to FDMA mode under certain conditions, but it's not necessarily common and shouldn't be counted on to occur.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Yep, what's most important is what's happening at the talkgroup level. Any talkgroups that are still operating in FDMA (Phase I) mode will track fine with scanners/radios that can't handle Phase II. The control channel is always FDMA, which is the key to the backwards compatibility......

Thank you for the explanation tips how to spot the difference. Starting understand it better now. I appreciate it!

leadjammer

I'm in New Haven, parked on the Middlesex/Troop F 774.30625 CC. Up until 9:37am on 6/18, I was seeing a fair amount of Troop H traffic. Nothing since then. Hartford/Troop H's Site028 is still advertised as a peer of this site(027).
On this site, I currently see traffic from Troop F, E, I, K, G.
I'm not picking it up either. Always did in the past so something has changed but I'm not sure what it is.

Cheeseburgers

Two bits of miscellania... with the Comet 100RX affixed to the scanner reception in my area has improved. Additionally, I ordered this today... its a dipole antenna designed for 700mhz, I guess for use with PA systems... it was only 20 bucks so I'll report my findings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190622-203004_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190622-203004_eBay.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 24

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Did you load all of the control channels from here?

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7196
Question. my SDS100 receives the CSP on the new system thanks to @WoodburyMan . My HPII though does not receive it even though I loaded the same database, and the control channels from that list are on it. But the main thing I am curious about is my BCD325P2. I use FreeSCAN to program that one. It pulls from RR Database. Will the control channels you linked to eventually make their way onto the database so I can just run an import and it will work like before?

I am not the most adept with manual programming ...

matt04

Premium Subscriber
Can this all be any more confusing. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Troop H which I monitored for years.
What scanner Are you using?

Can you receive the troop H simulcast site, Site 28? If you can You should have no problem hearing their talk groups.

I can sometimes hear H on the Troop C simulcast. As of now I have not had great success being able to pick up the troop H simulcast from my location which will always carry Troop H Traffic. Luckily I can pick up Troop C simulcast and I will hear Troop H when a troopers Radio get a stronger signal and the troop C simulcast, and thus troop C will begin to carry Troop H traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leadjammer

I have a HP-1 and a 436 HP and neither will pick up Troop H. I live in Hamden and always picked up Troop H loud and clear in the past.. The bizarre part is that I picked them up fine two days into the conversion but then as of Thursday they vanished. i have an outside antenna. I'm not sure if I can receive Site 28. I'm unsure how I would know that. Anyway its very confusing. I also used to get Troop L and I no longer can get them. So far I am getting Troop A,I, G, F, K and E. Thanks for the info.