Date Base clean up- example Towns inBergen County

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymatt1978

I understand what you're saying Tom but with all do respect you haven't scanned Bergen County therefor the RR formula that used in all other counties in t he country DOESN'T WORK. Which is why the database is such a mess. With all respect to the DB Admins I can tell you they're dismissing DB corrections as duplicated information when it really isn't duplicated information.

I understand the backend programming aspect of RR and really appreciate the work the DB Admins do, it takes a lot of effort. However that being said people need to come to the realization the Bergen County section will never be as accurate as it can be, just because of the way the RR DBs are setup.

Everyone,

RR policy is that multiple towns / townships / villages / hamlets (whatever) which share a common frequency and squelch tone are not to have duplicate entries, but rather grouped under a single frequency/tone listing. This is due to the fact that a radio programmed with all of those duplicate frequency / tone listings could say "Any Town Dispatch" when in fact "Other Town Dispatch" is actually the agency talking. This would obviously be very confusing to many listeners. It also unnecessarily uses a lot of scanner memory as well.

If particular towns have the same frequency but different tones, then they are supposed to be listed separately.

If you know of unique frequency/tone assignments for any given agency, please submit that information using the "Submit" button so the area administrator can make the necessary changes.

I realize that some people prefer to see the database broken down so that each agency has a separate listing, but as noted above, this simply does not work well for the computer programming aspect of RadioReference. The current policy is a reasonable middle ground.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I understand what you're saying Tom but with all do respect you haven't scanned Bergen County therefor the RR formula that used in all other counties in the country DOESN'T WORK. Which is why the database is such a mess. With all respect to the DB Admins I can tell you they're dismissing DB corrections as duplicated information when it really isn't duplicated information.

I understand the backend programming aspect of RR and really appreciate the work the DB Admins do, it takes a lot of effort. However that being said people need to come to the realization the Bergen County section will never be as accurate as it can be, just because of the way the RR DBs are setup.

So apparently you're telling me that Bergen County is so incredibly different from anywhere else in the United States that the standard procedure which works for the rest of the United States won't work in Bergen County? I don't buy it.

I may not have scanned Bergen County, but I have traveled fairly extensively to a variety of places in the United States and Canada. While I've found every one to have little local eccentricities of its own, I have yet to visit anyplace where the standard policy wouldn't work.

RadioReference policies have been developed over several years to provide consistent results which work for as many scanners and users as possible. While we obviously can't suit everyone, the standard layout has been proven to work well for the greatest number. If the standard layout doesn't suit your needs, that's unfortunate, but you're more than welcome to massage the data from RR in your programming software to suit your own needs.

I have looked at the Bergen County page, and while there is some cleanup needed (especially with alpha tags and some duplicate frequency/tone combinations), I really see no major problem with the data. If you have specific suggestions for ways Bergen County can be rearranged within the framework of the standard database policy, I'm all ears. But the policy stands as is, for Bergen County just as for the rest of the country.

Last edited:

jvdet

Respecfully Tom - its all through out the RR DB in metro regions
But thanks for the discussion
- I say lets move this to the WIKI - at least for New Jersey/New York Metro; Justin webpage as well as Scanner Master NJ/NY book had for each county/system an introduction and explians how to listen to the various agencies; ie - In NJ most every agency has multiple freq's and adjacent agencies channels; and the wiki can sort it out for interested listeners - Just look at NYC how can the visitor under stand how that city is set up - Scanner Master book shed some light on the FD/PD operations

I have been in Georgia and the State Patrol operate in SOME areas on a county/city trunk system yet there are repeated postings the VHF as primary, in a Wiki can explain how to best download freq of interest and how the channnels are used

So who wants to be the Editor of the NJ Wiki ?

Last edited:

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Everyone,

RR policy is that multiple towns / townships / villages / hamlets (whatever) which share a common frequency and squelch tone are not to have duplicate entries, but rather grouped under a single frequency/tone listing. This is due to the fact that a radio programmed with all of those duplicate frequency / tone listings could say "Any Town Dispatch" when in fact "Other Town Dispatch" is actually the agency talking. This would obviously be very confusing to many listeners. It also unnecessarily uses a lot of scanner memory as well.

K, so why is Passaic such a mess, as noted in my previous post with attachement. And for the record, yes. Bergen county is an extremely unique situation that should receive additional attention and consideration when modifying the DB. Understanding that there are protocols for the DB and entries ant the like, there is no 'global' format that works for every county/listing. This is why we have state moderators and should consider county and local DB admins withn the states as needed.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
So apparently you're telling me that Bergen County is so incredibly different from anywhere else in the United States that the standard procedure which works for the rest of the United States won't work in Bergen County? I don't buy it.

I may not have scanned Bergen County, but I have traveled fairly extensively to a variety of places in the United States and Canada. While I've found every one to have little local eccentricities of its own, I have yet to visit anyplace where the standard policy wouldn't work.

There's nothing standard about anything to do with Bergen County. You should be required to display a passport to enter it. The biggest issue is Bergen County operates like 4 different counties in one. You have 70 municipalities. Everything south of Route 4 operates on one method of 3 frequencies with 35 different PL's, except Hackensack in their own little world. The "belt" is it's own little world with Central (formerly Tri-Boro) and the nation of Lyndhurst. Then north of Route 4 is the big money who has their entire own mutual-aid operations and radio plans. Then there's the defectors who have bailed to the county TRS. You'd expect this in a region, but not one single county.

Passaic County clean up is a whole different, and simpler animal. It's just out of date instead of out of date and complicated by the agencies' doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.