Denver Chooses Motorola for P25 Phase II System, Public Safety will be Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0urtyfive

Premium Subscriber
Control channel went offline around 6:30 AM, EDACS is gone.

Last edited:

bd18packer

Does anyone know if the new system will be monitorable in Denver in the near future? Implementation was scheduled for two days ago. I haven't heard anything about it in these forums or on the local tom tom drums.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
DPD posted on their twitter account the cost per radio for approved media that agrees to a "contract with the city".

"The initial cost, not including fees and insurance, is $4,265.50."

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
DPD posted on their twitter account the cost per radio for approved media that agrees to a "contract with the city".

And I'm guessing that the radios are not capable of scanning multiple TGs? So a media company would have to buy multiple radios to even begin to come close to the versatility that a consumer scanner afforded them previously. And that is just for Denver monitoring. Add in all the other metro area agencies that are dark (if they are even offering such a "deal" to the media types) and it's completely untenable to monitor much of anything.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

I wonder if a stipulation in the contract is to not stream the audio?

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I wonder if a stipulation in the contract is to not stream the audio?
Can't stream, can't record, can't report on an active scene. They give the right for the department to search the premisis at any time, and, up to three years after the radio isn't in their possession.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Can't stream, can't record, can't report on an active scene. They give the right for the department to search the premisis at any time, and, up to three years after the radio isn't in their possession.

Thanks.

Steve2003

And not to mention that they likely could use GPS to track the location of radios and even potentially remotely activate a "remote monitor" to listen to conversations happening around the radio.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
They give the right for the department to search the premisis at any time, and, up to three years after the radio isn't in their possession.
Yeah, no wonder why no news orgs have taken DPD up on such a wonderful, benevolent offer. :rolleyes:

David628

Premium Subscriber
What if I don't care about DPD and only want to listed to DFD?

Interesting point you bring up.

Over the years when the EDACS system was alive, has anyone ever heard DPD talking on the DFD fire dispatch frequency, or vice-versa about "sensitive" information? I can honestly say that Ive been working in Denver since 2002 and listening to DPD and DFD dispatch via EDACs (when it was live) on a daily basis and have never recalled them talking to one another on the dispatch frequencies nor conveying sensitive information over them.

Fire dispatch (i don't care about tac channels) at a minimum should be in the clear in in my opinion.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
The news media have refused to sign the contract, citing such parts of the contract as the Draconian requirements to allow the city to inspect their records while they are using the radios, and for 3 years after the termination of the contract. There are also provisions for 5 different types of insurance the city would require the media to purchase.

The DFD PIO claimed that in order to communicate with DPD, the DFD talkgroups also had to be encrypted. Not true. Fire departments in Aurora, Westminster, Thornton, Lakewood (West Metro), Arvada, etc., do not have that problem. It appears that DFD was either misinformed, misunderstood, or found it convenient to mislead the public. I don't know which it is.

It was promised that DFD alerting would remain in the clear, and that has been done. The Vocalarm channel remains available on 154.07 MHz (PL 103.5 if you want to use it). However, only the initial dispatch is on that channel.

EMS dispatch is also in the clear on the new P25 system, see the RR database Denver Trunking System, Denver, Colorado - Scanner Frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.