SDS100/SDS200: Finally got my sds100 need some guidance on programming it.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
I finally got my sds100 and I'm having trouble I'm coming from sdr dongles and using sdrtrunk and dsdplus. So I put my zip code In and it's just showing way to much , since I've been using sdrtrunk and dsdplus i pretty much know what frequencies i can listen to and what ones I can't, so how do I program just the frequencies I want to scan through on the sds100? I just want to program in what I know has traffic and be able to just select that and let it scan.

Here is what I want to scan

#1 three P25 trunked control channels And these are control channels not alternates 152.6825,152.5825,152.0376

#2 These are the others and and I have the nxdn upgrade

453.6725, 154.8125, 151.6625, 155.8000, 155.7000, 154.4875. And a couple more.

So how would I program the sds100 to scan all those frequencies i get confused on having the p25 control channels in there and scanning those because sdrtrunk has to be locked onto the channel, OR is the sds100 like OP25 with the control channels?

#3 ALSO I tried making two favorite lists and tried to monitor or scan through both favorite lists but it'll only scan through one i was told u could scan multiple favorite lists at once is that true?

#4 I messed with sentinel and got it figured out at least with the basics, I tried proscan but it wouldn't detect my scanner.

But back to my problem how would I make the scanner monitor just those channels i have tried already and all I see is no TGID. Thank each and every one of you if you can dumb your answers down some so i can understand ;)

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
So I put my zip code In and it's just showing way to much
This is what favorites lists are for. Add only what you're interested in monitoring
#1 three P25 trunked control channels And these are control channels not alternates 152.6825,152.5825,152.0376

If these are listed in the RR database, use Uniden Sentinel to import the system(s) into favorites list(s) and upload your programming to your scanner

#3 ALSO I tried making two favorite lists and tried to monitor or scan through both favorite lists but it'll only scan through one i was told u could scan multiple favorite lists at once is that true?;)
Yes it's true. Did you program quick keys with said favorites lists or no? They need to be set to monitor in addition to quick keys being turned on if you set them at the FL, system, site and/or department level

Set Scan Selection
Select Lists to Monitor
Manage Quick Key Status
Set All Lists On/Off

#4 I tried proscan but it wouldn't detect my scanner
Scanner needs to be put in mass storage mode for Proscan or Sentinel to see it and read/write to it

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Your number 1 are referred to as p25 trunked systems. Only people who “scan” “p25 control channels” are doing so to log data.

Your number 2 are referred to as conventional channels or frequencies.

Using the correct terminology helps others fully understand what you are looking to accomplish.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
In the other thread, we strongly suggested you get much more familiar with how trunking works.
You need to learn about sites (control channels) and TRUNKGROUPS.
I don't think you have - and are now starting another thread, when help has being given to you on the other one.

You keep going down this control channel / frequencies rabbit hole.
Control channels are just one piece of trunking.
Forget Fastlane and SDRTrunk.

The concepts of database based trunking scanning are completely different.
It's hierarchical and this is where I think you are getting in the weeds.
Systems have SITES, which have control channels - but individual users (like a sheriff or city police) have talk groups.
These are what you need to add to your favorite list.
Along with making sure the SITES you want to monitor are in the favorite list - under their system.

You don't just add frequencies. You add systems/sites/talkgroups and Sentinel adds the frequencies for you.

You need to open Sentinel, find your state/county/system/department and right click on it and choose append.
Then just create a favorite list or add to an existing.
Sentinel will take care of the rest.
Also search and learn about service types. This will, I'm sure, also cause confusion and impede your scanning certain talkgroups.

I'm not telling you not to ask questions - people are here to help.
Just maybe take the advice already given? (learn trunking basics)

Last edited:

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Here is what I want to scan

So how would I program the sds100 to scan all those frequencies i get confused on having the p25 control channels in there and scanning those because sdrtrunk has to be locked onto the channel, OR is the sds100 like OP25 with the control channels?
In addition to the SDS100 Users Guides, you may want to study the Sentinel Software Manual:

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
In the other thread, we strongly suggested you get much more familiar with how trunking works.
You need to learn about sites (control channels) and TRUNKGROUPS.
I don't think you have - and are now starting another thread, when help has being given to you on the other one.

You keep going down this control channel / frequencies rabbit hole.
Control channels are just one piece of trunking.
Forget Fastlane and SDRTrunk.

The concepts of database based trunking scanning are completely different.
It's hierarchical and this is where I think you are getting in the weeds.
Systems have SITES, which have control channels - but individual users (like a sheriff or city police) have talk groups.
These are what you need to add to your favorite list.
Along with making sure the SITES you want to monitor are in the favorite list - under their system.

You don't just add frequencies. You add systems/sites/talkgroups and Sentinel adds the frequencies for you.

You need to open Sentinel, find your state/county/system/department and right click on it and choose append.
Then just create a favorite list or add to an existing.
Sentinel will take care of the rest.
Also search and learn about service types. This will, I'm sure, also cause confusion and impede your scanning certain talkgroups.

I'm not telling you not to ask questions - people are here to help.
Just maybe take the advice already given? (learn trunking basics)
I'm familar with how trunking works it's just it's really the first scanner i have ever had i'v been so use to SDR devices. i have been doing alot of reading and youtube and i managed to set up a fav list and then inside that i made systems and set those up is that how it's suppose to be done? and i manage to put in the 3 systems that are trunking p25 and i put the tgid in it and it started working and picking up the traffic. i tried puttin in a single p25 freqs not trunked and i put it all in the same way i did the others but it's not picking it up and i know there is traffic because i can hear on dsdplus. i tried the sentinel software and tested proscan and butel neither of them would let me upload radio reference into it but as far as sentinel goes it's letting me make fav lists but when it comes to adding them i have to add the whole system the STARS system i only want to program 3 of those in Honaker Wise and Oakwood 99 percent of all that i don't need i can't hear it anyways . thanks tho i appreciate the comments.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
as far as sentinel goes it's letting me make fav lists but when it comes to adding them i have to add the whole system the STARS system i only want to program 3 of those in Honaker Wise and Oakwood
When adding a system using Sentinel, it includes all of the sites. You will need to either delete the unwanted sites, or mark them as avoid. Or as @nessnet mentions, use location control to limit the number of sites scanned.

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I'm familar with how trunking works it's just it's really the first scanner i have ever had i'v been so use to SDR devices. i have been doing alot of reading and youtube and i managed to set up a fav list and then inside that i made systems and set those up is that how it's suppose to be done? and i manage to put in the 3 systems that are trunking p25 and i put the tgid in it and it started working and picking up the traffic. i tried puttin in a single p25 freqs not trunked and i put it all in the same way i did the others but it's not picking it up and i know there is traffic because i can hear on dsdplus. i tried the sentinel software and tested proscan and butel neither of them would let me upload radio reference into it but as far as sentinel goes it's letting me make fav lists but when it comes to adding them i have to add the whole system the STARS system i only want to program 3 of those in Honaker Wise and Oakwood 99 percent of all that i don't need i can't hear it anyways . thanks tho i appreciate the comments.

I wasn't trying to be a dick.
I have 6 RTL-SDRs and have experience mapping new P25II systems for RR database submittal.
So I get it. And, when I got my first database scanner, I was totally perplexed. I'm an engineer and it took me a bit to 'get it'. Just let Sentinel do it for you. Then, fine tune it as you learn it.

After creating a favorite list, be sure to look at your profile and make sure your favorite list(s) have both monitor and download boxes checked and your proper service types checked.

RE: Sentinel loading the entire system's sites.
Yes, that is just what Sentinel does - it is one of the reasons why people recommend ProScan for favorite list programming, you can just load only the sites you want.

But..... Uniden radios use the databases' 'built in' GPS data, so your radio, (by entering the zip code or manually entering your lat/long), will just ignore anything that is out of range. It doesn't hurt anything to have all of them in there. Just set your global range (in your profile) to something reasonable (5 not 50 for instance) and don't sweat it. Your radio will just ignore anything out of range.

Conventional channels: (analog - but can also be P25 digital, but not trunked)
Also just use Sentinel to add them to an existing favorite, or a new one.
Are you entering these manually - or using Sentinel?
Again, just right click/append and let Sentinel do the work for you.

Lastly, when you buy an SDS100/200, you get access to the database (via Sentinel), updated every Monday.
But, you need to subscribe to RadioReference to let Proscan have access to the database.
(SDRTrunk also requires an RR subscription to load data).

Last edited:

RMason

Premium Subscriber
tested proscan and butel neither of them would let me upload radio reference into it
In ProScan: Before data in a Favorites list can be written to the scanner or read from the scanner, the Favorites Editor needs to be opened and a Favorites folder needs to be opened.
  1. Go to the Menu --> Favorites Editor.
  2. If an exiting Favorites list has been created before: Go to the Favorites Editor Menu --> Open then navigate to the folder, then select the file, and click the OK button.
  3. If creating a new Favorites list: Go to the Favorites Editor Menu --> New then navigate to the folder, type in a file name, and click the OK button.

Use the RadioReference Web Import feature within ProScan to import data from the RR database. Here’s a step-by-step guide: (From chatgpt)

Steps to Import from RadioReference into ProScan​

1. Ensure You Have a Premium RadioReference Account:
    • RadioReference database integration in ProScan requires a Premium Membership on RadioReference.com.
    • If you don’t have a premium account, you can subscribe here.
  2. Open ProScan:
    • Launch ProScan on your computer and make sure your scanner is properly connected if you plan to upload the data to your device.
  3. Login to RadioReference via ProScan:
    • Navigate to the menu: File > RadioReference Web Import.
    • You will be prompted to log in using your RadioReference premium account credentials.
  4. Select the Desired Region:
    • After logging in, you can choose the geographic region from which you want to import the data (state, county, or city).
    • This will display the available systems, frequencies, and talkgroups for that area.
  5. Choose the System or Talkgroups:
    • From the list, select the system(s), frequencies, or talkgroups that you want to import into ProScan.
    • You can choose from Trunked Systems or Conventional Frequencies depending on your needs.
  6. Review and Edit the Data:
    • Once you’ve selected the systems, ProScan will display the information in its frequency editor.
    • You can make adjustments to the imported data, such as adding or removing frequencies, talkgroups, or sites.
  7. Upload to Scanner(if applicable):
    • If your scanner is connected to ProScan, you can directly upload the imported data to your device by selecting Scanner > Upload to Scanner.
  8. Save the Configuration:
    • Save your configuration in ProScan for future use or modifications.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
i tried puttin in a single p25 freqs not trunked and i put it all in the same way i did the others but it's not picking it up
It sounds like this is a conventional P25 frequency. This is not programmed as a trunked system. You should be able to program this as a "P25 One Frequency" system. It can also be programmed as a conventional channel.

Last edited:

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
I wasn't trying to be a dick.
I have 6 RTL-SDRs and have experience mapping new P25II systems for RR database submittal.
So I get it. And, when I got my first database scanner, I was totally perplexed. I'm an engineer and it took me a bit to 'get it'. Just let Sentinel do it for you. Then, fine tune it as you learn it.

After creating a favorite list, be sure to look at your profile and make sure your favorite list(s) have both monitor and download boxes checked and your proper service types checked.

RE: Sentinel loading the entire system's sites.
Yes, that is just what Sentinel does - it is one of the reasons why people recommend ProScan for favorite list programming, you can just load only the sites you want.

But..... Uniden radios use the databases' 'built in' GPS data, so your radio, (by entering the zip code or manually entering your lat/long), will just ignore anything that is out of range. It doesn't hurt anything to have all of them in there. Just set your global range (in your profile) to something reasonable (5 not 50 for instance) and don't sweat it. Your radio will just ignore anything out of range.

Conventional channels: (analog - but can also be P25 digital, but not trunked)
Also just use Sentinel to add them to an existing favorite, or a new one.
Are you entering these manually - or using Sentinel?
Again, just right click/append and let Sentinel do the work for you.

Lastly, when you buy an SDS100/200, you get access to the database (via Sentinel), updated every Monday.
But, you need to subscribe to RadioReference to let Proscan have access to the database.
(SDRTrunk also requires an RR subscription to load data).
No you fine.. i think i got it figured out at least i think i manage to use sentinel to make a fav list and i went through and made sure everything was right and i only added 3 systems and deleted all the others that way my scanner wouldn't be held up scanning stuff i can't even hear so i think it's workin i can hear traffic. i have a RR sub and i tried proscan the part where you click add from RR database is greyed out so it won't let me select it u can see in the pic i attached. I hear people saying proscan is alot better than any of the others but sentinel seems to work i would like to figure out the option where i can control my scanner through proscan. Thanks

Attachments

• pic3.png
    pic3.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 7

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
In ProScan: Before data in a Favorites list can be written to the scanner or read from the scanner, the Favorites Editor needs to be opened and a Favorites folder needs to be opened.
  2. If an exiting Favorites list has been created before: Go to the Favorites Editor Menu --> Open then navigate to the folder, then select the file, and click the OK button.
  3. If creating a new Favorites list: Go to the Favorites Editor Menu --> New then navigate to the folder, type in a file name, and click the OK button.

Use the RadioReference Web Import feature within ProScan to import data from the RR database. Here’s a step-by-step guide: (From chatgpt)

Steps to Import from RadioReference into ProScan​

1. Ensure You Have a Premium RadioReference Account:
    • RadioReference database integration in ProScan requires a Premium Membership on RadioReference.com.
    • If you don’t have a premium account, you can subscribe here.
  2. Open ProScan:
    • Launch ProScan on your computer and make sure your scanner is properly connected if you plan to upload the data to your device.
  3. Login to RadioReference via ProScan:
    • Navigate to the menu: File > RadioReference Web Import.
    • You will be prompted to log in using your RadioReference premium account credentials.
  4. Select the Desired Region:
    • After logging in, you can choose the geographic region from which you want to import the data (state, county, or city).
    • This will display the available systems, frequencies, and talkgroups for that area.
  5. Choose the System or Talkgroups:
    • From the list, select the system(s), frequencies, or talkgroups that you want to import into ProScan.
    • You can choose from Trunked Systems or Conventional Frequencies depending on your needs.
  6. Review and Edit the Data:
    • Once you’ve selected the systems, ProScan will display the information in its frequency editor.
    • You can make adjustments to the imported data, such as adding or removing frequencies, talkgroups, or sites.
  7. Upload to Scanner(if applicable):
    • If your scanner is connected to ProScan, you can directly upload the imported data to your device by selecting Scanner > Upload to Scanner.
  8. Save the Configuration:
    • Save your configuration in ProScan for future use or modifications.
I can't login it's greyed out

Attachments

• pic3.png
    pic3.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 4

RMason

Premium Subscriber
tried proscan the part where you click add from RR database is greyed out so it won't let me select it u can see in the pic i attached.
These options are grayed out until you open a file in the Favorites Editor.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
i only added 3 systems and deleted all the others that way my scanner wouldn't be held up scanning stuff i can't even hear so
If I follow you right, I believe you added 1 system (STARS). Then you included 3 sites (Honaker, Wise, and Oakwood)

Using the correct terminology helps others fully understand what you are looking to accomplish.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
If I follow you right, I believe you added 1 system (STARS). Then you included 3 sites (Honaker, Wise, and Oakwood)
Yes that is what i done i'm just wanting it to scan through a set of freqs all at once. i'm updating the sites as i find them on dsdpllus