SDS100/SDS200: Finally got my sds100 need some guidance on programming it.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
These options are grayed out until you open a file in the Favorites Editor.
  1. Go to the Menu --> Favorites Editor.
  2. If an exiting Favorites list has been created before: Go to the Favorites Editor Menu --> Open then navigate to the folder, then select the file, and click the OK button.
  3. If creating a new Favorites list: Go to the Favorites Editor Menu --> New then navigate to the folder, type in a file name, and click the OK button.
I tried that but it's all greyed out but i have the 30 days full trial

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to input a custom freqs in sentinel under one of your FL?
Before exporting, a database has to be opened and a system has to be in the database.

3. If creating a new Favorites list: Go to the Favorites Editor Menu --> New then navigate to the folder, type in a file name, and click the OK button.I

tried that but it's all greyed out but i have the 30 days full trial
Did you do option 3? You may have to click the 'Make New Folder' button then type in a name where it shows 'New Folder' then click the OK button.

{edit} After you get a database opened and the items are no longer grayed out, I recommend reading from the scanner 1st.

Last edited:

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to input a custom freqs in sentinel under one of your FL?
I'm not 100% sure what you are asking.

You can manually enter frequencies that are not included in the RR database into your favorites list. However, you cannot simply add a frequency willy-nilly. You must first create the tree of Systems/Sites/Departments that the frequency resides in if it does not already exist. (When you import from the RR database, the structure is created automatically)

Here is a crude representation of the hierarchy of Favorites List, Systems, Sites, Departments, Channels

Favorite_List
├── Conventional_System
│ ├── Department1
│ │ └── Channels(Frequencies)
│ └── Department2
│ . └── Channels(Frequencies)
└── Trunked_System
. ├── Site1
. │ └── Frequencies
. ├── Site2
. │ └── Frequencies
. ├── Department1
. │ └── Channels(TGIDs)
. └── Department2
. . └── Channels(TGIDs)

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
AngWay said:
"Is there a way to input a custom freqs in sentinel under one of your FL?"

Are these "custom freqs" not in the RR database?
Are they trunking (control channels), or conventional?
Either way, if they ARE already in the RR database, why enter them manually?
Let Sentinel add them.

If they are trunking voice channels, you do NOT need to add them.
The control channel tells the radio which freq to use via the channel grant.

As RMason (and I) have said, the entire hierarchy needs to be in there for any scanning object (conventional or trunking).
That's why I keep telling you to let Sentinel do the adding from the database - it does this for you.

So.... exactly what are these "custom freqs" you are trying to add?
Are they new (not in RR), or something you just happened to see (like a voice channel) in Fastlane/SDRTrunk?

Last edited:

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
AngWay said:
"Is there a way to input a custom freqs in sentinel under one of your FL?"

Are these "custom freqs" not in the RR database?
Are they trunking (control channels), or conventional?
Either way, if they ARE already in the RR database, why enter them manually?
Let Sentinel add them.

If they are trunking voice channels, you do NOT need to add them.
The control channel tells the radio which freq to use via the channel grant.

As RMason (and I) have said, the entire hierarchy needs to be in there for any scanning object (conventional or trunking).
That's why I keep telling you to let Sentinel do the adding from the database - it does this for you.

So.... exactly what are these "custom freqs" you are trying to add?
Are they new (not in RR), or something you just happened to see (like a voice channel) in Fastlane/SDRTrunk?
Ok if i add a site that has the control channel and several alternate channels can i delete the alternates and not add them and just add the control channel to save scan time? i tried to delete them out but it's not lettting me.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Before exporting, a database has to be opened and a system has to be in the database.

Did you do option 3? You may have to click the 'Make New Folder' button then type in a name where it shows 'New Folder' then click the OK button.

{edit} After you get a database opened and the items are no longer grayed out, I recommend reading from the scanner 1st.
This is what is happening when i first click to open up proscan it gives me that error and when i go to the favorite editor everything is greyed out and not clickable. i have my scanner connected i don't understand what is stopping me

Attachments

• pic3.png
    pic3.png
    417.4 KB · Views: 10
  • pic2.png
    pic2.png
    84 KB · Views: 10

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Ok if i add a site that has the control channel and several alternate channels can i delete the alternates and not add them and just add the control channel to save scan time? i tried to delete them out but it's not lettting me.

As others have suggested you really need to learn how trunking works.

So what does alternate mean?

As a verb, occur in turn repeatedly.

So if you delete the alternates, and the control channel changes, and the alternates are not there, the system will not work. Some never change and some change on a schedule or when the guy running the system decides to change it.

You now have a top of the line scanner, just use the software to download the systems you want and leave it at that. If there are sites that are no where near you, either delete or avoid them. Don’t mess with freqs that are in sites that the software downloaded.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
This is what is happening when i first click to open up proscan it gives me that error and when i go to the favorite editor everything is greyed out and not clickable. i have my scanner connected i don't understand what is stopping me

Again,, to create a new database: Click on File in the upper left corner then click on New. Click the 'Make New Folder' button then type in a name where it shows 'New Folder' then click the OK button.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber

So if you delete the alternates, and the control channel changes, and the alternates are not there, the system will not work. Some never change and some change on a schedule or when the guy running the system decides to change it.

You now have a top of the line scanner, just use the software to download the systems you want and leave it at that. If there are sites that are no where near you, either delete or avoid them. Don’t mess with freqs that are in sites that the software downloaded.

I know this but half the fun is learning what your new gadget can do and how you can master it i want to learn all the little ins and outs of the scanner stuff i can't find online after i search and read and still can't find it then i ask it here.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Again,, to create a new database: Click on File in the upper left corner then click on New. Click the 'Make New Folder' button then type in a name where it shows 'New Folder' then click the OK button.
Ok i figured it out i wasn't creating a new folder and thats what i had to do now i have access to RR datbase. i see on youtube that u can make your scanner appear on the computer and do it that way . how is that done i went to remote scanner over ip and selected clien and hit start it says connecting to proxy then it says stopped proxy or server not responding code 2

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Ok i figured it out i wasn't creating a new folder and thats what i had to do now i have access to RR datbase. i see on youtube that u can make your scanner appear on the computer and do it that way . how is that done i went to remote scanner over ip and selected clien and hit start it says connecting to proxy then it says stopped proxy or server not responding code 2

You should start by consulting the excellent and detailed ProScan manual

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Can you provide the youtube link so I can stay in the same context or at least see what they're doing.
I'm guessing the scanner in the video is a SDS200 which has FTP Read & FTP Write functions that the SDS100 doesn't have.

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I know this but half the fun is learning what your new gadget can do and how you can master it i want to learn all the little ins and outs of the scanner stuff i can't find online after i search and read and still can't find it then i ask it here.

You have to know the basics, (I don't think you do yet), before you can even attempt the "little ins and outs".
These radios can be very complex if you want to get the most out of them - or very simple if you use the proper tools - properly.
Learn to crawl, then walk before you can run.

You remind me of new engineers I've hired.
So anxious to jump right in, they get waaaay down rabbit holes and then need a hand getting out.
They just need to slow their roll.

Most every question concerning these radios has been asked and answered here in the past. Keep using the search function and certainly keep asking questions. You have multiple, highly knowledgeable people here to help.

Where you will get pummeled here is when you don't search first - or ignore the advice being given to you.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Can you provide the youtube link so I can stay in the same context or at least see what they're doing.
I'm guessing the scanner in the video is a SDS200 which has FTP Read & FTP Write functions that the SDS100 doesn't have.
Yes i have the sds100 and i was just watching a youtube video and i realized that they are all using sds200 does the sds100 not work with proscan with putting the screen on the computer?

I think i got the rest figured out i have made all my favorite lists and edited just the sites i know i can receive by using sdrtrunk and dsdplus my scanner is picking up better than those right now i have dsdplus scanning the same exact freqs that my sds100 is and the sds100 is catching more. i got the NXDN upgrade and the waterfall upgrade i used sentinel to put in a couple nxdn single freqs i know of but those don't show nxdn in sentinel but they do in dsdplus.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Yes i have the sds100 and i was just watching a youtube video and i realized that they are all using sds200 does the sds100 not work with proscan with putting the screen on the computer?

The SDS100 can be put on the screen. The scanner needs to be out of Mass Storage mode.
Take it out of Mass Storage mode then go to the Comm. Port menu then click the Auto Detect button. Select the scanner in the list then click the 'Set Selected Available Port. The scanner should show in ProScan.
If the scanner can't be detected then go to the Windows Device Manager then see if the scanner shows up in the comm ports.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
does the sds100 not work with proscan with putting the screen on the computer?
Proscan supports Virtual Display for the both the sds100 and sds200. It also allows control of the keypad and knobs through the pc interface for both.

A significant difference between the two is that the sds100 does not have a LAN connection. It relies on the usb cable for data and an audio cable for sound. This causes the setup for interfacing to the two scanners to be different if the sds200 is using the lan connection.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
i used sentinel to put in a couple nxdn single freqs i know of but those don't show nxdn in sentinel but they do in dsdplus.
If dsd+ shows that a frequency is NXDN, but that is not reflected in the database, you will likely need to modify the programming for the sds100. If the frequency is not configured correctly, the scanner will not receive traffic on that frequency.