SDS100/SDS200: Finally got my sds100 need some guidance on programming it.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
if i add a site that has the control channel and several alternate channels can i delete the alternates and not add them and just add the control channel to save scan time?

So if you delete the alternates, and the control channel changes, and the alternates are not there, the system will not work. Some never change and some change on a schedule or when the guy running the system decides to change it.

Don’t mess with freqs that are in sites that the software downloaded.

I know this but half the fun is learning what your new gadget can do and how you can master it

Your new gadget shares the same basic trunking principles as sdr software. If you don't have the control and alternates, you may not hear anything. And on some systems alternates are used as voice channels and without them, no voice.

Your question asked about scan speed time. The way a scanner works is, they more your scanning, the less you hear, hence the main reason many of us run multiple dongles with like SDRTrunk Unitrunker DSDplus etc. I get maybe an hour and a half of scanner listening during the day but my PC is recording 24/7 so if something of interest happens, I have it all available for immediate playback.

i used sentinel to put in a couple nxdn single freqs i know of but those don't show nxdn in sentinel but they do in dsdplus.
If they are known to be NXDN and they are listed in the database as something else, please make a submission stating they are NXDN.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
The SDS100 can be put on the screen. The scanner needs to be out of Mass Storage mode.
Take it out of Mass Storage mode then go to the Comm. Port menu then click the Auto Detect button. Select the scanner in the list then click the 'Set Selected Available Port. The scanner should show in ProScan.
If the scanner can't be detected then go to the Windows Device Manager then see if the scanner shows up in the comm ports.
Great thank you very much i got it working

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Ok if i add a site that has the control channel and several alternate channels can i delete the alternates and not add them and just add the control channel to save scan time?
Removing the "extra" control channel frequencies will not measureably reduce your scan speed. Once the scanner finds the control channel for a site, it remembers that frequency. It does not need to check the other control channels unless the control channel is lost.

However, the scan speed is impacted by programming multiple sites on the same system. The scanner will attempt to check each site for activity. It takes 1-2 seconds to check for traffic on each site before moving on. Removing (or avoiding) the out of range sites, or those that do not carry the radio traffic you are interested in, will speed up your scanning. (This is an example of “The more you scan, the less you hear.”)