SDS100/SDS200: Finally got my sds100 need some guidance on programming it.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
i put in the same freqs into the sds100 that i have in sdrtrunk and it's showing traffic in sdrtrunk but the scanner isn't picking it up .it's 854.1375 it's the AEP everything else is being picked up but that i don't know if i have a setting wrong or what

What site is this?

Are you sure that this is the site that DSD+ is receiving? Isn't Cutler WV about 200miles from you? I suspect you are receiving a site closer to you.

What system id and what nac is DSDPlus displaying when you are on that? The 3 listed sites with that freq are all over 100 miles away from you.

I do recall you receiving a freq on one of the STARS sites that was not listed in the database so its possible that 854.1375 may be part of a closer site and or not listed in the db. Sys id and nac are the best way to determine.

Last edited:

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
What system id and what nac is DSDPlus displaying when you are on that? The 3 listed sites with that freq are all over 100 miles away from you.

I do recall you receiving a freq on one of the STARS sites that was not listed in the database so its possible that 854.1375 may be part of a closer site and or not listed in the db. Sys id and nac are the best way to determine.
it's showing this

Attachments

• pic3.png
    pic3.png
    390.5 KB · Views: 14

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Did you start by opening the Favorites List Editor?
Edit Menu -> Edit Favorites List​
yes i have the favorite lists editor opened. this is what it shows

And my battery voltage is showing 4.10 volts is that normal? also the red light on the radio hasn't wen't off and i'v charged it overnight is it ok to leave it plugged in like that?

Attachments

• pic3.png
    pic3.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 6

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
it's showing this
These are the sites you're receiving;

AEP:

^ This one doesn't look like a particularly good decode just by the few lines I can see in the console output.

STARS:

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
These are the sites you're receiving;

AEP:

^ This one doesn't look like a particularly good decode just by the few lines I can see in the console output.

STARS:

great thanks... my battery has been plugged in overnight and it's still plugged in and the voltage just dropped from 4.1 to 4.0 and i never unplugged it is that normal for it to drop like that? and what is a full charge? Thanks

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
great thanks... my battery has been plugged in overnight and it's still plugged in and the voltage just dropped from 4.1 to 4.0 and i never unplugged it is that normal for it to drop like that? and what is a full charge? Thanks
Are you using a power adapter that outputs at least 2 amps?

dmfalk

The SDS100 doesn't normally charge while it's scanning, and when it's set to charge while the scanner is on, it draws A LOT of power, so it might drain. 4.10V is nearly full (4.12 is usually the full level, although I've seen a brief 4.14V level, like for about a second).

Ideally, for best results, charge while off!

If you haven't done so, get the external battery charger, and be thankful it comes with a second battery! (I am!)

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
my battery has been plugged in overnight and it's still plugged in and the voltage just dropped from 4.1 to 4.0 and i never unplugged it is that normal for it to drop like that?

Your talking about 1 tenth of a volt. Not sure how accurate the circuitry in the scanner is but fluctuation will happen. While fluctuation is an irregular rising or falling within something, something that small is nothing to lose sleep over.

It is best practice to charge externally so you always have a full battery ready to go.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Your talking about 1 tenth of a volt. Not sure how accurate the circuitry in the scanner is but fluctuation will happen. While fluctuation is an irregular rising or falling within something, something that small is nothing to lose sleep over.

It is best practice to charge externally so you always have a full battery ready to
Are you using a power adapter that outputs at least 2 amps?
Yes i am

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
The SDS100 doesn't normally charge while it's scanning, and when it's set to charge while the scanner is on, it draws A LOT of power, so it might drain. 4.10V is nearly full (4.12 is usually the full level, although I've seen a brief 4.14V level, like for about a second).

Ideally, for best results, charge while off!

If you haven't done so, get the external battery charger, and be thankful it comes with a second battery! (I am!)
How long does a full charge last if it's on and scanning with the screen on?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

Not really a specified time as there are some variables involved, and everyone's will be different, such as how loud the comms are, how many comms take place and ones screen brightness.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

Ubbe

There isn't much difference if the display are lit or volume are at full with audio or if it's just quietly scanning. It's the receiver that takes the majority of the power. Small battery lasts about 4 1/2 hours and big battery about 6 1/5 hours.

/Ubbe

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Removing the "extra" control channel frequencies will not measureably reduce your scan speed. Once the scanner finds the control channel for a site, it remembers that frequency. It does not need to check the other control channels unless the control channel is lost.

However, the scan speed is impacted by programming multiple sites on the same system. The scanner will attempt to check each site for activity. It takes 1-2 seconds to check for traffic on each site before moving on. Removing (or avoiding) the out of range sites, or those that do not carry the radio traffic you are interested in, will speed up your scanning. (This is an example of “The more you scan, the less you hear.”)
I still don't see how to edit in your own freqs in sentinel . u are talking about putting in custom freqs right? because it will let me edit the title and stuff but not the freqs

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I still don't see how to edit in your own freqs in sentinel . u are talking about putting in custom freqs right? because it will let me edit the title and stuff but not the freqs

Dude, you keep getting wrapped around the axle...

Open Sentinel
See the star icon up top? - click on it (favorites editor)
1728507313556.png

Click on the favorite list you want to edit - click OK
Click on the system (expand) the one you want to make changes in
Click on the SITE you want to edit (the top listings are your departments), go down to the SITES farther down the list
See the list of frequencies? See the green plus sign?
That is add.
This is all assuming Sentinel added the system, so that the band plan and locations are correct.

That is why I KEEP telling you to let Sentinel build your favorite lists for you. It puts all of this in there for you. Don't try and do it yourself. If any of it is incorrect, it won't work!!!

Of course, this is assuming that the information (at least the system) is in Sentinel. If it isn't and you are starting from scratch, that is a whole different can of worms. It certainly is possible, but from your (many) questions and your responses to advice given.........

1728507103718.png

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I still don't see how to edit in your own freqs in sentinel

Read your scanner into Sentinel. When its done, click edit---edit fav list. Box opens, select the list you want to edit.

1728506555331.png

To create a new list, same steps except when box opens to select a list, you would click New Favorites List.

u are talking about putting in custom freqs right? because it will let me edit the title and stuff but not the freqs
You asked about scan speed and @RMason said,

Removing the "extra" control channel frequencies will not measureably reduce your scan speed. Once the scanner finds the control channel for a site, it remembers that frequency. It does not need to check the other control channels unless the control channel is lost.

However, the scan speed is impacted by programming multiple sites on the same system. The scanner will attempt to check each site for activity. It takes 1-2 seconds to check for traffic on each site before moving on. Removing (or avoiding) the out of range sites, or those that do not carry the radio traffic you are interested in, will speed up your scanning. (This is an example of “The more you scan, the less you hear.”)

Nothing about adding freqs. He is saying either delete or set to avoid any sites not anywhere near you that you will never listen to.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Dude, you keep getting wrapped around the axle...

Open Sentinel
See the star icon up top? - click on it (favorites editor)
View attachment 170522

Click on the favorite list you want to edit - click OK
Click on the system (expand) the one you want to make changes in
Click on the SITE you want to edit (the top listings are your departments), go down to the SITES farther down the list
See the list of frequencies? See the green plus sign?
That is add.
This is all assuming Sentinel added the system, so that the band plan and locations are correct.

That is why I KEEP telling you to let Sentinel build your favorite lists for you. It puts all of this in there for you. Don't try and do it yourself. If any of it is incorrect, it won't work!!!

Of course, this is assuming that the information (at least the system) is in Sentinel. If it isn't and you are starting from scratch, that is a whole different can of worms. It certainly is possible, but from your (many) questions and your responses to advice given.........

View attachment 170521
Thank you i got it now. my first time using sentinel was just yesterday man so i just got hung up a little.

i was reading on the battery and one post said that i could just plug a micro usb into the top port above the charger port and i could run the scanner off AC power like this and save the battery for when mobile. do you know if this is true?