SDS100/SDS200: Finally got my sds100 need some guidance on programming it.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Read your scanner into Sentinel. When its done, click edit---edit fav list. Box opens, select the list you want to edit.

View attachment 170514

To create a new list, same steps except when box opens to select a list, you would click New Favorites List.

You asked about scan speed and @RMason said,

Nothing about adding freqs. He is saying either delete or set to avoid any sites not anywhere near you that you will never listen to.
Thanks that helped me i got it now . i watch dsdplus and when i find a new freqs i will look it up on RR but someimes a freq for example like 152.6670 will come back as 152.6725 but i know it's that department so i just will edit in in from what dsdplus is showing.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Thank you i got it now. my first time using sentinel was just yesterday man so i just got hung up a little.

i was reading on the battery and one post said that i could just plug a micro usb into the top port above the charger port and i could run the scanner off AC power like this and save the battery for when mobile. do you know if this is true?

Try it and find out!

Again, there's a lot of things being asked here that you could find out yourself with a small amount of effort. I fear when you have other questions down the line, users won't be inclined to answer you since so much of it has been easy to find or many times answered questions here.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Try it and find out!

Again, there's a lot of things being asked here that you could find out yourself with a small amount of effort. I fear when you have other questions down the line, users won't be inclined to answer you since so much of it has been easy to find or many times answered questions here.
Dude i am trying all this with the scanner in my hand i have searched and alot of stuff just ain't out there or i don't understand it . and i just figured out by testing it that you can use a micro usb cable and run the sds100 off ac power alone i took the battery out and tested it and it works. i really really appreciate everyone here who is holding my hand on some of this and i know i ask some pretty dumb questions but it ain't because a lack of effort and sometimes it's good to put a question out there and get more opinions because some of the stuff i look up is from 2014 things change.

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
figured out by testing it that you can use a micro usb cable and run the sds100 off ac power alone i took the battery out and tested it and it works.

If you do that on a 436, you can’t record and lose the reply function. Not sure I’d the SDS is the same or not .

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Thank you i got it now. my first time using sentinel was just yesterday man so i just got hung up a little.

i was reading on the battery and one post said that i could just plug a micro usb into the top port above the charger port and i could run the scanner off AC power like this and save the battery for when mobile. do you know if this is true?
Yes, the top (microUSB) port will only power the radio - it will not charge it.
I personally don't even screw with it and just use the main port for everything.
Better to just get an extra battery.

As to the rest - baby steps.
Even engineers and technical people can get perplexed by these radios at first.
Just take your time, read Mark's easier to read manual thoroughly and use the RR forum's search function - almost everything you want to know is already in there.

This forum exists to help people and there are quite a few very knowledgeable people here. Just keep in mind that most here subscribe to the 'teach a man to fish' philosophy, so just make an effort first - then ask away...

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Maybe someone knows the answer to this. in sentinel the way u can add to your fav lists what would it do if i put every channel that i am scanning into one department , like what i mean is here in the image below if i deleted everything except the honaker and then added all my freqs to that one title lets say 25 freqs. would that make any kind of difference or not? again this is just a thought . Thanks
Yes, the top (microUSB) port will only power the radio - it will not charge it.
I personally don't even screw with it and just use the main port for everything.
Better to just get an extra battery.

As to the rest - baby steps.
Even engineers and technical people can get perplexed by these radios at first.
Just take your time, read Mark's easier to read manual thoroughly and use the RR forum's search function - almost everything you want to know is already in there.

This forum exists to help people and there are quite a few very knowledgeable people here. Just keep in mind that most here subscribe to the 'teach a man to fish' philosophy, so just make an effort first - then ask away...
Yes i agree i never ask here first i go to google and then to youtube and i read through stuff and if i can't quiet get it i will ask here. like this question Maybe someone knows the answer to this. in sentinel the way u can add to your fav lists what would it do if i put every channel that i am scanning into one department , like what i mean is here in the image below if i deleted everything except the honaker and then added all my freqs to that one title lets say 25 freqs. would that make any kind of difference or not? again this is just a thought . Thanks

Ubbe

Thanks that helped me i got it now . i watch dsdplus and when i find a new freqs i will look it up on RR but someimes a freq for example like 152.6670 will come back as 152.6725 but i know it's that department so i just will edit in in from what dsdplus is showing.
If ou are using a SDR dongle with DSDplus then you could frequency calibrate that dongle to have it show the correct frequency.
Enter a known good frequency in SDR# or similar spectrum view program, a control channel are the best, then zoom in so that the modulation of the signal are covering maybe 1/4 of the spectrum and adjust the bandwidth, click and drag, so that it covers the signal exactly.

If it is outside of the signal at one end and way inside at the other end then use the ppm frequency correction in SDR#'s cogwheel settings to make the signal fit perfectly inside the modulation bandwidth. Then use that ppm value in DSDplus to get a correct frequency reading.

This is a perfect match:
1728554766639.png

/Ubbe

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
If ou are using a SDR dongle with DSDplus then you could frequency calibrate that dongle to have it show the correct frequency.
Enter a known good frequency in SDR# or similar spectrum view program, a control channel are the best, then zoom in so that the modulation of the signal are covering maybe 1/4 of the spectrum and adjust the bandwidth, click and drag, so that it covers the signal exactly.

If it is outside of the signal at one end and way inside at the other end then use the ppm frequency correction in SDR#'s cogwheel settings to make the signal fit perfectly inside the modulation bandwidth. Then use that ppm value in DSDplus to get a correct frequency reading.

This is a perfect match:
View attachment 170546

/Ubbe
The antenna the sds100 comes with what is it best for? i tried looking it up but i can't find much.

i need a antenna that is multi band i guess from 150mhz 450mhz and 850mhz what would be a good portable antenna for that? Thanks

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Great thanks for that i couldn't find the stock one.

I am looking at some antennas to buy and i'm stuck on what would be the better option a telescopic antenna or one that is not a telescopic like the stock antenna i feel the telescopic would be the best way to go because what i monitor is on 150 450 and 850 but then again i can get a non telescopic that is rated for those. anyone out there who has had experience with them all that could guide me in the right direction? Thanks

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
If I recall, don't you live in the middle of nowhere basically, surrounded by trees and hills?
I'm just looking for accessories and trying to figure out what would be the best for a handheld scanner and being outside and traveling i don't want a vehicle antenna just yet i just want to have the best antenna that will pick up police and ems but portable. i am looking at one called the signal stick alot of youtubers say they like it

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
"what would be the best for a handheld scanner and being outside and traveling"

Get an 842S then...
I looked it up it fits what i need on paper. here is a question how can a antenna like the 832S at 8 inches long perform the same as a telescopic antenna with it's length?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I'm just looking for accessories and trying to figure out what would be the best for a handheld scanner and being outside and traveling i don't want a vehicle antenna just yet i just want to have the best antenna that will pick up police and ems but portable. i am looking at one called the signal stick alot of youtubers say they like it

Telescoping are nice but not ideal to adjust while driving. Generally an antenna tuned for the band of interest will perform the best. The tri-band is tuned for 3 ranges. 136-174 420-470 800-900 MHz.

I did not see any of this info listed on Remtronix page, yet zip scanners amazon says,

"25-100%+ POLICE SCANNER RECEPTION BOOST: 6+dB gain over stock handheld police scanner antennas from Whistler & Uniden"