AR5700D First impressions

G7HID

Sorry Alan you seem to have not been reading my messages in full , As you know the radio went up to BF for testing he found it also deaf and he tried to use his settings from his working 5700D onto my radio and it was the same still deaf . I will see if I can send you the video on here . Oh good it seems to have loaded if you cant play it I will send via your facebook account . So this confirms that the radio is deaf ok . So the radio was returned to me in its deaf state and was due to be returned to the dealer ok . A day before I was due to go to the dealer for some strange reason the radio was fully working again this was with no SD card fitted . So its not the SD card that made the radio work . While the radio was working I thought it best to copy the receivers setting . I think I ask you and BF on how to do copy the settings , If you read your old facebook messages its all there . So I made a copy of all the settings and so far the radio is still working but that does not mean that the card is keeping the radio working . Just go back through your old facebook message and your see what I mean . So why should I be embarrassed , There is nothing in the manual that states the SD card must be installed for full sensitivity if there is please show it to me . So I have no idea why your coming out with all this please read all your old facebook messages .

To cap this off a comment on another forum from BF, think it puts to bed the SD card argument...

BF.jpg

Mike

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
If the SD Card information is true, and I do not doubt it, thank goodness AOR must have produced an SD Card that never gets corrupted or wears out!!! Other Manufacturers should be ashamed of their out dated technology of storing essential information on internal Memory chips.

If as stated it contains information the 5700D needs to function correctly, then a 'super' everlasting SD Card is essential. Up till now such a Card has never existed. After a certain number of read and writes they begin to die.

From what I have read AOR seem to make no mention anywhere of the need for and importance for 'their' card to be inserted, anyway why should the User need to be told that?

Of course the perpetual SD Card does not really exist, even if made by AOR, but on the positive side for AOR:-

If the User is never informed of its importance and the Card fails, the Radio will not operate correctly and then all that will be needed is for the Radio to be sent back to Japan. A repair paid for (i.e. fitting a new '5700D specific' card - charged for naturally), and a safe return in the post. perhaps?

A paid for Firmware upgrades could be incorporated at the same time. All in all the 5700D is going to be a very well travelled Radio during its life, if nothing else.

Some might think, what is the point of all that technology in a Radio that relies on the continuous use of a 'finite' SD Card for proper functioning. Some might think that, I could not possibly comment.

A good solid economic arrangement. Another AOR triumph of technical design, forward planning and customer concern,.

G7HID

I would suspect that AOR are now aware of the 5700D and a missing SD card problem and are now writing an addition to the additional 5700D manual..

Mike

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I would suspect that AOR are now aware of the 5700D and a missing SD card problem and are now writing an addition to the additional 5700D manual..

Mike

Mike,

Years ago I would have agreed with your statement, AOR really was on top of their game. Today, not so much. My opinion is based on their lack of admitting to problems with the DV10 and failure to resolve them. Any engineer who designs a radio (or any product) that requires a trip to Japan for a firmware change is definitely not in this century. Any supervisory team who allowed that feature to move ahead in the design phase is equally guilty.

My AOR's are late 90's, early 2000's and work well.

Ubbe

Any engineer who designs a radio (or any product) that requires a trip to Japan for a firmware change is definitely not in this century.
It where probably designed correctly at the beginning but some unforeseen problem made firmware upgrades more difficult. Perhaps it uses a new memory area for the receivers tuning values that needs to be set.

Maybe they in later firmwares moved those values to the SD card to fix that problem. In either case it cannot be re-tuned by a user and have to be done at a radio shop using the proper information to store the tuning values at a new memory area. And you will need to copy those tuning values if you switch SD cards if it at some time tries to read the values again, perhaps when it reboots after a software crash and have erased them from memory.

AOR probably doesn't want to inform about how it all works as they then have to admit that they made a mistake and had to change the operation of firmware upgrades and how and where tuning values are stored. They should absolutely let users have free shipping back and forth for firmware upgrades, or at least inform how to retune the receiver.

Icom had a history of their PCR1000 loosing its tuning values and there where then lots of tuning files from users that then could be loaded to get the receiver working again, even if it wasn't perfectly tuned.

/Ubbe

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I've pulled my SD card, performed a full shutdown and restart and have been monitoring for a few days. No issues to report.

Ubbe

I've pulled my SD card, performed a full shutdown and restart and have been monitoring for a few days. No issues to report.
It would be a huge firmware design mistake to force a reread of tuning values at each power on. It doesn't sound logical in any way. Only if the values have been erased from the internal battery backup RAM and a checksum doesn't match would it need to read the tuning values again. As mentioned the tuning values somehow often where corrupt in the Icom PCR1000 just from normal use. But it would probably take some kind of crash, where the receiver freeze and needed to be reset to make those tuning values disappear from memory.

/Ubbe

dwell1650

I'm now 5 months into ownership of the 5700D. I have had no issues with my radio (knock on wood). Monitoring scanning banks of VHF/UHF analog FM and AM, P25, DMR and TETRA. This receiver delivers as advertised AOR5700 Brochure AOR got this one right, unlike the DV-10.
My 5700D has also worked flawlessly since I got it. I think it's worth every penny and I would buy it again if I ever lost it.

G8OEO

It's been quiet here for a while now. Is everyone still happy with their 5700D?
I can just about afford to buy one and only need a little reassurance to push me over the edge. :)

Last edited:

palmerjrusa

I can just about afford to buy one and only need a little reassurance to push me over the edge. :)

No issues here and no regrets purchasing one.

Love the old school format, complements my IC-R8600.

Bought it via HRO and AOR USA drop shipped it to me.

Boght the AOR USA GP-5001 GPS to further nail the frequency accuracy a few months back.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Mine is still going strong. I purchased mine in May of 21 so there has been a few firmware updates. I've been thinking about shipping it to AOR USA who will then have to send it to Japan for the firmware update. So far I have hesitated as the thought of shipping a 5K radio half way around the world scares the hell out of me.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Mine is still going strong. I purchased mine in May of 21 so there has been a few firmware updates. I've been thinking about shipping it to AOR USA who will then have to send it to Japan for the firmware update. So far I have hesitated as the thought of shipping a 5K radio half way around the world scares the hell out of me.
That has been my issue, having to send it back to Japan for firmware updates, a non-starter in my opinion as much as I'd love to own one.

palmerjrusa

That has been my issue, having to send it back to Japan for firmware updates, a non-starter in my opinion as much as I'd love to own one.

Agree, astonishing that AOR designed it that way.

It's still a great all-mode receiver, as it damn well should be at that price😁.

G8OEO

I’m still tempted to buy this receiver but only if I was sure it could be easily returned, even though I suspect I’d probably love it.
Fortunately the dealer who sold me the DV1 a couple of weeks ago was ok with me sending it back after I explained I wasn’t happy with it’s DMR decoding. It would be so nice to have a good demo of the unit without having to travel across the country.

merlin

Across the board, AOR is vastly overpriced for what it is.
They do make very good receivers, some mil-spec worthy of a $3000 price tag.
Only thing keeping me from being an AOR fan.