• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX FleeBay Beauty, APX 4000 in APX 1000 case

Status
Not open for further replies.

jharr465

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the eBay ad I think the seller posted an incorrect photo or two. The close up of the back of the radio with the battery removed clearly shows the radio as an APX 4000. Contact the seller if you are not sure.

K2NEC

Why is the seller of this ad selling an APX 4000 in an APX 1000 case. That does not even look close to a 4000, it definitely looks like a 1000
What makes you think it's not a 4000?

What makes you think it's not a 4000?

Looking at the Motorola website for the 4000, it shows that it has two knobs at the top of the radio. The radio on eBay has one.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Why is the seller of this ad selling an APX 4000 in an APX 1000 case. That does not even look close to a 4000, it definitely looks like a 1000
I guess you're not that familiar with the APX 1000/2000/4000 series. All are available as single-knob (Multi-Function Knob) variants, all using identical housings, and you would not be able to tell them apart just by looking at the housing. The 4000 was the first in the series to be released in 2011, originally available only as a single-knob radio. Dual knob variants came along a few years later, circa 2014.

So yes, a single-knob 4000 is going to look identical to a 1000 or 2000.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Do/did they make an APX4000 with just the three soft keys and dispaly?

Paul

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Its a one size fits all with them. Slap the decal for appropriate model at factory and you're good to go. No different housing or costs with it. Then they slap the difference on you for not just for the feature set, but model printed on the emblems.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
These are APX4000 single knob variant. These were surplused from Washington DC Area Metro Transit. A lot of agencies that originally bought the single knob are dumping them for the two knob variant.

K2NEC

These are APX4000 single knob variant. These were surplused from Washington DC Area Metro Transit. A lot of agencies that originally bought the single knob are dumping them for the two knob variant.
Do you know why they are getting rid of the 1 knob radios? Why they want the 2 knobs instead. For *most* operations a 1 knob radio does what it needs to. Granted having a dedicated channel knob is nice but it isn't absolutely necessary. Is there a reason for them dumping them or just wanting to have 2 knobs?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Do you know why they are getting rid of the 1 knob radios? Why they want the 2 knobs instead. For *most* operations a 1 knob radio does what it needs to. Granted having a dedicated channel knob is nice but it isn't absolutely necessary. Is there a reason for them dumping them or just wanting to have 2 knobs?

Im just speculating but most users prefer a two knob portable as that how they always been made. I could see that multi switch wear out over time.

K2NEC

Try operating a 1 knob radio in full fire gear with gloves on in bad visibility. HINT it is all done by feel try to get that from a push button.
But we are talking about a railway here not a fire department

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I just posted a reason for two knobs and why the OP did not state the radio was for rail use it was only posted where they may be from.
Thats were they ARE from. They even left programming in them when surplused.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Try operating a 1 knob radio in full fire gear with gloves on in bad visibility. HINT it is all done by feel try to get that from a push button.

I know NPS had got the single knob 1000s, 4000s including some of their park fire and complaint was one would bump the top single knob down without thinking as other issues were present and turn causing the channel to change. So I cam see why they are dropping the single knob.

Public works, maybe a small time police dept would benefit for the single knob but I prefer 2 myself.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Just my opinion but to surplus programmed radios is not wise.
This is the issue ive seen a lot lately where they will surplus and they leave it to the buyer of auction to de program but issue is it usually never happens and gets re sold to whomever sometimes mace/ucm keys loaded in.

I've seen videos where people buy old taures PD units with xtl5000s still in them loaded up, programmed and keys active.

Either some one dropped ball didnt let techs know or the idea it's old who cares we got new ones is in their head which is dumb.

K2NEC

complaint was one would bump the top single knob down without thinking as other issues were present and turn causing the channel to change
I have never in my life changed a channel without knowing it on any radio because it isn't exactly easy to rotate a knob accidentally. Having a multi function knob would actually make it harder to change the channel because the knob first has to be pressed and then the channel can be changed. With 2 knob models, one can just change the channel as they wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.