Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I haven't posted on this thread in a long time but have in the past. So something happened recently that I thought I would post here. I live along the Amtrak Northeast Corridor between Philly and Trenton New Jersey. Amtrak police regularly Patrol and I listen to their dispatch.

There's one section between Croydon PA and Bristol PA where the top speed for Amtrak is 130 miles an hour. That section is famous for suicides, both jumping off a train and standing in front of a train. We are talking, dozens a year.

A track worker called in to say he saw a door open on a high-speed train in that section. A nearby Amtrak police car was despatched...

He said, I will Patrol the right away between Croydon and Bristol to see if anything was uh, um, uh, you know, uh, left behind.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
Just heard this one...

Robotic Dispatcher: "Engine 1, Truck 8, Battalion 2, Commercial Fire Alarm, Specialty Risk, Frisco Fire Station 1, 8601 Gary Burns Drive, TAC Assignment 5"

On TAC-5: "Engine 1 to all units, disregard, testing house speakers."

The worse part, this same call went out 3-4 more times in 15 minutes before the dispatcher or radio tech confirmed they were done (And Truck 8 is typically at another station, so they were probably getting ready to roll before they got disregarded).

Reconrider

Just heard this one...

Robotic Dispatcher: "Engine 1, Truck 8, Battalion 2, Commercial Fire Alarm, Specialty Risk, Frisco Fire Station 1, 8601 Gary Burns Drive, TAC Assignment 5"

The worse part, this same call went out 3-4 more times in 15 minutes before the dispatcher or radio tech confirmed they were done (And Truck 8 is typically at another station, so they were probably getting ready to roll before they got disregarded).
I wouldn’t say this is funny. Seems like they should have been told there was a test and to be on alert but wait for confirmation it was a legit call.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
Just heard this one...

Many years ago when metronet was installing their robo dispatcher, they were dispatching to a hotel I worked at. I caught on at about 5th alarm as they were dispatching the same units over and over. at the 6th alarm and above, they started sending units from as far away as 200 miles. Thats when I noticed this was on a specialty reserved talkgroup.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn’t say this is funny. Seems like they should have been told there was a test and to be on alert but wait for confirmation it was a legit call.

I tend to agree, and this is definitely more in the "odd" category of this thread. I have heard this same department put out many "Test Calls" for units since I've been monitoring. That's what made it unusual, this was a full on Fire Alarm call instead of a Test Call. Only thing I can suspect is whomever was putting it into the CAD clicked the wrong option when generating the call, and then didn't correct it before the system repeated the tone-out.

or better yet play something less confusing, yet still appropriate for a good "speaker test":

Every day at 18:30 local time, this department does a Robo-Dispatch "Alarm system test, testing all house speakers and duty chief notification" All stations then roll-call on the primary dispatch channel (and the dispatcher then acknowledges the roll-call and gives a 12 hour weather forecast). Once a week they have all stations switch over to the backup channel on another trunked system for the same roll-call, before switching back to their regular system for the roll-call (just to make sure they got switched back).

spacellamaman

I tend to agree, and this is definitely more in the "odd" category of this thread. I have heard this same department put out many "Test Calls" for units since I've been monitoring. That's what made it unusual, this was a full on Fire Alarm call instead of a Test Call. Only thing I can suspect is whomever was putting it into the CAD clicked the wrong option when generating the call, and then didn't correct it before the system repeated the tone-out.

Every day at 18:30 local time, this department does a Robo-Dispatch "Alarm system test, testing all house speakers and duty chief notification" All stations then roll-call on the primary dispatch channel (and the dispatcher then acknowledges the roll-call and gives a 12 hour weather forecast). Once a week they have all stations switch over to the backup channel on another trunked system for the same roll-call, before switching back to their regular system for the roll-call (just to make sure they got switched back).
i still don't see how you can have an adequate speaker test without When The Levee Breaks.

thats when the good speakers shine and the bad whiinnnneeeee.

spacellamaman

If I had used something besides "y'all," I might have been more formal. No, I'm happy with "serious." Now I'm fixin' to go eat supper. :)
if you had used something besides "ya'll" i wouldn't have understood the meaning. since my tuxedo t-shirt is at the laundrymat, i am glad formality wasn't required. bon appetite.

At 2:34pm - Dispatch to Charlie XXX respond to xxxx xxxx Road Pizza Hut, caller reports someone broke into the store about 4am this morning got into the safe and stole some chicken wings.

makes ya wonder where they keep the cash. lets hope the safe was in the freezer, lest there be a food poisoning outbreak.

Damn Chicken Thieves!!!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
if you had used something besides "ya'll" i wouldn't have understood the meaning. since my tuxedo t-shirt is at the laundrymat, i am glad formality wasn't required. bon appetite.
See, there's your problem. I have two tuxedo t-shirts. I wear 'em at snake stompings, barn raisings and things like that. :)

usmiladim

Just heard local dispatch send a message out saying guy speeding up and down the street everyday at 11:00 and 2:30. Police officer replied “ He won’t tomorrow “. Lol

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
Another snow plow related one went "can someone find out who owns a car with plate ######, I may have pushed it into the 10 mile river."
Theres a reason theres snow routes. Happens more than you think.

So my vol fire dept today got called for extrication of a goat from a fence. Lets just say there was several laugh tracks played during dispatch and the call...
Goat was successfully extricated without injury.

goodian

Feed Provider
Listening to forest service from the fire lookout tower during a lightning storm. “Man! That one struct so close I damn near pooped myself.”