Ham & Scanner Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Left to right, Martin Milner (Pete Malloy) and Kent McCord (Jim Reed).

Nice keepsake Will.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
hoser147 said:
Thats right I stand corrected......Mark this down.:lol: I was thinkn about Drag Net.......................Hoser147

Click here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062539/

and here: http://www.kentmccord.com/news/2003.html

and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_mccord

and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Milner

Good friend of mine attended a show recently geared to emergency EMS, Fire, and rescue personnel. He met Kent Mc Cord in person, and said that he spent several minutes with him. Kent was sincere, genuine, and a heckuva nice guy. Kent travels over the world promoting emergency personnel in all venues.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
A Few More Pics

I got another 2 gB SD card for my Canon SD630, and just started snapping pics of a few of my radios. Going to do some re-arranging, so here's what the setup is like now:

1) Yaesu YS-60 HF SWR & Power Meter; Yaesu YS-500 VHF-UHF SWR & Power Meter; Yaesu FC-20 Automatic Antenna Tuner
2) Motorola VHF Spectra; UHF MaxTrac; 800 Mhz MaxTrac
3) Uniden BC-278CLT & BC-248CLT Scanners
4) Realistic Pro-2004; Uniden BC-780XLT; RF Proximity "Receiver;" 4-LED Flashlight
5) "A collection" of some of my hand-held's

More pics to come when re-arranging is completed.

Last edited:

kirka127

hoser147 said:
Thats right I stand corrected......Mark this down.:lol: I was thinkn about Drag Net.......................Hoser147
squad 51 was from Emergency

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Tfitzmaurice89 said:
are you actually a cop too? i noticed your dash and deck light!

Retired after 35 years; Currently employed as a radio shop sales manager; We sell amber warning lights as a Code 3 authorized retailer. The car is a sales demo unit.

Just a question thats kind of off topic... how do you actually learn how to program raidos and like learn all the stuff to work them and that kind of things... its kind of something i want to get into but i have no idea what it actually is if there is any type of classes for it

Allan_Love_Jr

Scanner Radio.

Tfitzmaurice89 said:
Just a question thats kind of off topic... how do you actually learn how to program raidos and like learn all the stuff to work them and that kind of things... its kind of something i want to get into but i have no idea what it actually is if there is any type of classes for it
Learning how to program a Scanner for me was a tough one. My very first Scanner was a Radio Shack Pro52 10 Channel Radio. I knew nothing about them. I just asked my parents one day if they could get me a Scanner. I got my wish. It wasn't much. But it was a good feeling too own my very own Radio. I wanted this Radio because I liked Trains and wanted to monitor Railroad communitions. It was a good start. And one thing. I had to learn how to "Program" in the Frequency's myself without any help from my parents because they knew nothing about Scanners. So what I did was. I grabbed my manual to my Radio and started to read every thing about it. And since. The only Railroad that I lived near was the C&NW Railway. And when I punched in "160.890" and pressed the "Enter" button. Oh my. My eye's just lit up like a Christmas tree. I was so happy. And since that day. Scanner Radio's have in my life ever since. Hope this helps. And good luck.

Last edited:

chuckie3015

oh boy

K9WSS said:
A few more pics of the install; tri-cigarette lighter sockets, speakers for the radios, and a few more of the lighting system.

As I mentioned in my previous email, I am a Code 3 / PSE Amber dealer & distributor, and use my car for business purposes.

Another Cop wanna be.....

mancow

Database Admin
Huh, most PS equipment retailers have demo cars. How else could they demonstrate their products to various departments?

chuckie3015 said:
Another Cop wanna be.....

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I don't have to be a "cop wannabe." I was a police officer for 35 years, and retired with dignity and respect.

[[Message to moderator - please contact me off list]]

SCPD

QRT
This whacker accusation trend really stinks. I've been accused of being a wannabe just because I like radios. I began my interest in radio listening to the LAPD but I did not want to be a cop, I wanted to be a forest ranger. I wanted to understand wildland ecosystems, explain them to people, and help them recreate in them. I wanted to make a contribution to the management of this nation's public lands, the best system of public lands in the world. I still like radios and am now a ham. I still like to listen to scanners, in part, because I've had a long time interest in knowing what other people go through on their jobs, especially those in public service. The scanner gives me a small glimpse.

I'm not a big law enforcement listener as my favorite agencies to monitor are natural resource management agencies and fire departments. I was an EMT because I was on a volunteer fire department and wanted to serve the community I was in. During my Forest Service career I responded to wildland fires (108 of them), traffic accidents, medicals, search and rescues, and many other types of incidents. I was a personal misconduct and accident investigator. I have a lot of ICS experience. Since retirement I have volunteered with the country RACES team and am now in on the establishment of a CERT program in my town and may be able to contribute a thing or two. I'm not a wannabe as I did what I wanted to do (just like Will) and am now retired from it.

Because I have four antennas on the roof rack of my 4WD, along with a pretty large first aid kit, an old fireline pack packed with emergency survival gear, a reflective vest (for nighttime visibility when I stop to assist disabled rigs or at an accident scene), and a large patch collection I'm a wannabe and a whacker to some people. Just because you are interested in the public safety/service field, whether you are considering a career in it, are working in it, or retired from it, does not make you a whacker or wannabe. If you purposely try to look like something you are not you could be a whacker. If you like radios, have worked in a public safety/service job, and are now using that experience in another line of work you are probably not a whacker.

On this website most of the time the whacker accusation comes from people who don't have any idea of the background of the person they accuse, or, as in this case, someone who didn't even read the whole thread. We need to be concerned about whackers in the radio hobby and the negative connotation it can give the hobby. On the other hand when someone posts pictures of their shack or mobile setup we need to remember that it is "innocent until proven guilty" and realize that the person we may think is a whacker might very well be quite the opposite. In other words, don't make the accusation until you have the probable cause to do so, and if you don't have it, keep quiet on the subject!

Allan_Love_Jr

Rude people.

Exsmokey said:
This whacker accusation trend really stinks. I've been accused of being a wannabe just because I like radios. I began my interest in radio listening to the LAPD but I did not want to be a cop, I wanted to be a forest ranger. I wanted to understand wildland ecosystems, explain them to people, and help them recreate in them. I wanted to make a contribution to the management of this nation's public lands, the best system of public lands in the world. I still like radios and am now a ham. I still like to listen to scanners, in part, because I've had a long time interest in knowing what other people go through on their jobs, especially those in public service. The scanner gives me a small glimpse.

I'm not a big law enforcement listener as my favorite agencies to monitor are natural resource management agencies and fire departments. I was an EMT because I was on a volunteer fire department and wanted to serve the community I was in. During my Forest Service career I responded to wildland fires (108 of them), traffic accidents, medicals, search and rescues, and many other types of incidents. I was a personal misconduct and accident investigator. I have a lot of ICS experience. Since retirement I have volunteered with the country RACES team and am now in on the establishment of a CERT program in my town and may be able to contribute a thing or two. I'm not a wannabe as I did what I wanted to do (just like Will) and am now retired from it.

Because I have four antennas on the roof rack of my 4WD, along with a pretty large first aid kit, an old fireline pack packed with emergency survival gear, a reflective vest (for nighttime visibility when I stop to assist disabled rigs or at an accident scene), and a large patch collection I'm a wannabe and a whacker to some people. Just because you are interested in the public safety/service field, whether you are considering a career in it, are working in it, or retired from it, does not make you a whacker or wannabe. If you purposely try to look like something you are not you could be a whacker. If you like radios, have worked in a public safety/service job, and are now using that experience in another line of work you are probably not a whacker.

On this website most of the time the whacker accusation comes from people who don't have any idea of the background of the person they accuse, or, as in this case, someone who didn't even read the whole thread. We need to be concerned about whackers in the radio hobby and the negative connotation it can give the hobby. On the other hand when someone posts pictures of their shack or mobile setup we need to remember that it is "innocent until proven guilty" and realize that the person we may think is a whacker might very well be quite the opposite. In other words, don't make the accusation until you have the probable cause to do so, and if you don't have it, keep quiet on the subject!
Welcome to the real world we live in. Everyone is rude anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.