Sentinel: I have the Uniden Sentinel software working with Linux Mint (LMDE 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
There is a wiki article that talks about programs under Linux. The general direction is to install wine-mono and winetricks. Then run:

winetricks dotnet35

Then install Sentinel.

jmayson

Database Admin
There is a wiki article that talks about programs under Linux. The general direction is to install wine-mono and winetricks. Then run:

winetricks dotnet35

Then install Sentinel.
Would you mind sharing a link to the article? I found various and none work for me. I either have a case where it doesn't see the scanner (SD card) or just doesn't run at all.

belvdr

Would you mind sharing a link to the article? I found various and none work for me. I either have a case where it doesn't see the scanner (SD card) or just doesn't run at all.
From the wiki:
All packages are available in winetricks.

If you mark the scanner as a floppy disk in winecfg, Sentinel will see it. It simply needs to be seen as a mass storage device.

jmayson

Database Admin
From the wiki:
All packages are available in winetricks.

If you mark the scanner as a floppy disk in winecfg, Sentinel will see it. It simply needs to be seen as a mass storage device.
That was it! Set it as a floppy disk. Yeah, using Wine is better, smaller footprint as you pointed out. Thank you for your help.

belvdr

That was it! Set it as a floppy disk. Yeah, using Wine is better, smaller footprint as you pointed out. Thank you for your help.
No worries! :)

Hopefully it helps others. I use Arch, but Sentinel under Wine should work under any distro.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
The key is using Winapps. There's already a tutorial on setting it up, so I refer you to it. Once you have everything running, install the Uniden software.

The virtual machine window has a menu option Redirect USB Device. Be sure to select your Uniden scanner so that Windows will see it.

Honestly I'm surprised it works, but it does.

View attachment 139694
I am confused. Do I need to get a Windows 10 .ISO to do this? I am clueless on VM's.

belvdr

I am confused. Do I need to get a Windows 10 .ISO to do this? I am clueless on VM's.
Yes, it's mentioned in the installation guide in a rather subtle way:
Choose Local media install, then select your ISO and walk through the wizard.
It's still a VM that should be patched and maintained, but using Remote Desktop to utilize the app. If you're already using a VM, there's not much different to see here.

jmayson

Database Admin
I created a quick tutorial on installing the software under WINE. I originally posted how to do this using Winapps, but believe WINE to be the better option.

belvdr

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I created a quick tutorial on installing the software under WINE. I originally posted how to do this using Winapps, but believe WINE to be the better option.

That link appears to be dead. Any chance of getting an updated one? Thank you.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Looks good. Thank you for posting. I'm afraid I'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to Linux and am still on the learning curve. Any advice on how that code gets entered (via the terminal window, I assume) would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll just give it a shot and learn as I go. I should point out that I'm attempting to set this up on Linux Mint running inside macOS Monterey running VirtualBox.

I've always used Windows to run Sentinel with the same VirtualBox environment, but that has become very problematic lately and I'm looking for another option for my MacBook and Mac desktop machines.

Thanks!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Any advice on how that code gets entered (via the terminal window, I assume) would be appreciated.
Yes, just paste the code block into the terminal window and hit enter. I tried it several times on Linux Mint, and it just resulted in many, many errors (404 not found, failure to fetch, and quite a few others) and the process aborted with neither WINE nor Sentinel being installed.

The link in the code block for Sentinel is correct for the current version.

Let us know if it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.