Icom: IC-705: New QRP rig from Icom in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmerjrusa

Anyone on here have an ear to the FCC about when the 705 will be approved?

It goes on sale this week in Japan and we should start seeing some reviews soon.
I believe I heard it will hit the UK in August. I check for the English manual almost
everyday.

At least one Japanese dealer has already received the IC-705:

It can't be long now before it arrives in the US.

N4DJC

@palmerjrusa

That same Japanese dealer had a similar review of the Yaesu FTM-300DR about six weeks before it hit the US. The Yaesu US rep was having a fit about it like it was deep secret as to the features :)

That's a pretty good indication of future US availability.

palmerjrusa

@palmerjrusa

That same Japanese dealer had a similar review of the Yaesu FTM-300DR about six weeks before it hit the US. The Yaesu US rep was having a fit about it like it was deep secret as to the features :)

That's a pretty good indication of future US availability.

Why you think he was all shook up about the review?
I would have thought he would have welcomed the publicity, if it was a good review anyway.

I think Icom is gonna sell a gazillion 705s. I doubt they'll be able to make them fast enough.
In the past few years Icom has really established itself as the market leader in most of the main categories of amateur radio, really pushing the technology forward to the next level (competitively priced too) and not just turning out new iterations of previous models.
An Icom announcement of a new handheld to replace the discontinued ID-51A plus 2 will complete the circle.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
An Icom announcement of a new handheld to replace the discontinued ID-51A plus 2 will complete the circle.
What do you mean? The 705 uses the same HT battery, so you can just clip it onto your belt and go. It is the new handheld. ;)

N4DJC

Why you think he was all shook up about the review?
I would have thought he would have welcomed the publicity, if it was a good review anyway.

I think Icom is gonna sell a gazillion 705s. I doubt they'll be able to make them fast enough.
In the past few years Icom has really established itself as the market leader in most of the main categories of amateur radio, really pushing the technology forward to the next level (competitively priced too) and not just turning out new iterations of previous models.

Yeah the whole thing was comical, saying that they (Yaesu) would make an announcement when it was available in the US.

The 705 will sell well, unless the pricing is out of line. But they seem to discount substantially after a year or so.

palmerjrusa

Yeah the whole thing was comical, saying that they (Yaesu) would make an announcement when it was available in the US.

The 705 will sell well, unless the pricing is out of line. But they seem to discount substantially after a year or so.

Yeah, I'm going to try and defer gratification for a while, read the reviews and see if the price comes down a little.
I recently bought an IC-7300 for a little under $900 and when the IC-7300 was introduced it was selling for around $1300.
We'll see how the "defered gratification" thing works out...

prcguy

You mean Icom, right?

There has been more Icom IC-7300s sold than any other amateur radio in modern times. The IC-705 should be a duplicate of this with massive sales and a hefty profit for Icom and I also expect the prices to drop after a year or so like the 7300 did. A bonus for the 705 would be the HF bands coming back where 10 watts will be plenty of power to talk anywhere like when the Yaesu FT-817 was introduced. One thing that made the 817 a huge seller was the good HF propagation at that time.

ka1njl

It's interesting that the ad for the 705 in the latest QST does not include the usual disclaimer about not being approved by the FCC. I wonder if that was an omission, optimistic thinking when the ad was written or if it means that the 705 has indeed been approved?

palmerjrusa

It's interesting that the ad for the 705 in the latest QST does not include the usual disclaimer about not being approved by the FCC. I wonder if that was an omission, optimistic thinking when the ad was written or if it means that the 705 has indeed been approved?

Universal Radio still has the IC-705 listed as "not approved by the FCC" but there could be some hysteresis going on here...

Hit_Factor

FCC makes it public 30 days after approval I think.

When the Yaesu FT3DR came out last year, I posted a link to the FCC manual for the radio about 3 weeks before US release. The Yaesu rep was very annoyed.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I had some spare time today and was looking through the IC-705 manual and guess what I found? Section 17 of the manual which conveys accessories had a separate special line with a reference mark denoting an upcoming accessory.

* An external antenna tuner for the IC-705 will be available soon. ( No price, no model number, or any other info about it )

I'm unsure if I will purchase it myself. I grabbed the LDG version for the 817 and only used the tuner once or twice. Much will depend on cost, size, etc. as to whether I will purchase it. I could probably just use my LDG-817 in manual mode.

prcguy

I think the Elecraft T1 tuner would be a good companion for the IC-705. Its tiny, will handle up to 20 watts and has a good wide tuning range.

I had some spare time today and was looking through the IC-705 manual and guess what I found? Section 17 of the manual which conveys accessories had a separate special line with a reference mark denoting an upcoming accessory.

* An external antenna tuner for the IC-705 will be available soon. ( No price, no model number, or any other info about it )

I'm unsure if I will purchase it myself. I grabbed the LDG version for the 817 and only used the tuner once or twice. Much will depend on cost, size, etc. as to whether I will purchase it. I could probably just use my LDG-817 in manual mode.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I think the Elecraft T1 tuner would be a good companion for the IC-705. Its tiny, will handle up to 20 watts and has a good wide tuning range
Do you have the Elecraft T1? Although light weight, the LDG Z-817 is probably twice the size of the Elecraft and has basically the same specs. Well, the LDG needs the radio switched to CW or AM when tuning manually.

My guess is the Icom tuner will be over $200. When turned on, it will automatically tune via PTT, using the tune port, depending on the frequency change from the last tune. I think the manual said 0.5% up to 10 MHz and then 1% from 14 - 54 MHz.

prcguy

I don't own a T1 but have played with many and they are really good. When I get a 705 I will get an Elecraft T1 to go with it.

Do you have the Elecraft T1? Although light weight, the LDG Z-817 is probably twice the size of the Elecraft and has basically the same specs. Well, the LDG needs the radio switched to CW or AM when tuning manually.

My guess is the Icom tuner will be over $200. When turned on, it will automatically tune via PTT, using the tune port, depending on the frequency change from the last tune. I think the manual said 0.5% up to 10 MHz and then 1% from 14 - 54 MHz.

Hit_Factor

I don't own a T1 but have played with many and they are really good. When I get a 705 I will get an Elecraft T1 to go with it.
I was thinking along these same lines (although I have not used a T1). But, I might just wait and see how the Icom tuner integrates with the IC-705 before making that decision. I'm intrigued by the Icom backpack idea and how there might be opportunities for adding a lithium power cell. I'm still hunting for antennas, buddy poles, magnetic loop, resonant 20m.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I have seen a couple of videos mentioning the Alpha Antenna AL-705, but it does not seem to be available on their website.

I got a good deal on one of these antennas. I am planning on trying it if I get the IC-705. OH8STN also did a couple of videos on the IC-705 as well.

73 Eric

prcguy

There are several mfrs of portable loops and Alpha would be on the bottom of my list. My personal experience with Alpha Antennas is the materials used and the designs are inferior to competing companies like Chameleon. In one case they either didn't have a clue their 2m satellite antenna advertised as being circular polarized was not circular and they outright lied when confronted with facts and evidence that the main part of their satellite antenna was a part that was surplussed for about $11 on Ebay and they repurposed it

Hello,

I have seen a couple of videos mentioning the Alpha Antenna AL-705, but it does not seem to be available on their website.

I got a good deal on one of these antennas. I am planning on trying it if I get the IC-705. OH8STN also did a couple of videos on the IC-705 as well.

73 Eric

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have the original Chameleon loop, whichever model that is. I think it is the F-Loop. It works well enough for transmit 20 meters and up. It is terribly inefficient 40 meters and down. Still, I do like it as an all around RX antenna that is very easy to tune and turn to knock out noise. The last reasonable distance contact I remember was to Hawaii two years ago on 20 meters (I was in California). He gave me a 3x3 or 4x4 I cannot remember which. Probably 3x3 as I was using 5W with an 817ND without a mic compressor. I only have the coax version and would like to try the three piece aluminum loop they had which fits my model. I am curious as to the improvement, if any.

I would not purchase an Alpha Antenna product. In addition to what prcguy noted, there are other instances I found regarding Alpha's various antennas that solidified that decision. I am not saying I would never buy an Alpha product, but not until prcguy gives it a positive review first. :D

Back on topic: If there is a question about the IC-705 that would be in the manual, let me know and I'll dig around. Please note, we will not know the actual TX/RX frequency coverage until the U.S. manual/device is released. ( I can only poorly understand two of the three Japanese writing systems, so give me a bit to reply. )

User Manual: IC-705 | アイコム株式会社

Instruction Manual: IC-705 | アイコム株式会社

Supplement Manual CI-V stuff: IC-705 | アイコム株式会社

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I found some Japanese vendors selling the IC-705 for $1100, but I also found a few others that are selling it for around $1070 and that is with tax included. Whether we see USA vendors selling it for sub $1000 ($975 +tax) right off is an unknown. I hope so as I plan to get a 20 Ah LiFePO4 battery for it. This will keep the C rate happy on discharge and I'll just use a 50W folding solar panel, to keep the charge rate happy and get a long life out of the battery. (Specs say the 705 can pull 4 Amps when full blast)

Status
Not open for further replies.