Icom: IC-705: New QRP rig from Icom in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit_Factor

Even if it has some bugs, they are unlikely to hamper general functionality. I think this rig will be released in Japan first, if so, they will get first crack at fixes.

Looking back at firmware updates after a product is released, Icom doesn't have a bad record.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
True, Icom has experience with other radios along the hardware/feature lines of this new model. Japan’s fiscal year starts April 1, so I am not sure how much sooner Japan would get it. I doubt I will wait long, especially if the RX range specs are what I want. The known features have already sold me.

Hit_Factor

I plan to be in the front of the line when they go on sale. My XYL even offered to hold the money I saved, so it will be available when I need it. After 35 years she recognizes my habits.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Icom has been doing a great job lately with its new radios, the 7300 and the 7610 have been fantastic. On the other hand Yaesu and Kenwood have had problems and its not uncommon for Yaesu to make beta testers out of the first buyers and sometimes releasing an "A" version of the radio later to address problems. I suspect the new 705 will work just fine with the first one sold.

Even if it has some bugs, they are unlikely to hamper general functionality. I think this rig will be released in Japan first, if so, they will get first crack at fixes.

Looking back at firmware updates after a product is released, Icom doesn't have a bad record.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
There are still a lot of unknowns, but every new detail is interesting. The mounting options are well thought out.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Well, it appears there is a delay in a part needed for the radio. This was announced at the end of last month. There is also the waiting of FCC approval for those of us in the U.S.A. Add the obvious current issue on top of that and its a best guess on a release date in Japan or anywhere. At this point I'm doubtful it will be released before the September VHF contest.

Icom's apology... 「アイコムIC-705」お届け遅延のお詫びとお知らせ | アイコム株式会社

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully this does not lead to any seppuku.

Well, it appears there is a delay in a part needed for the radio. This was announced at the end of last month. There is also the waiting of FCC approval for those of us in the U.S.A. Add the obvious current issue on top of that and its a best guess on a release date in Japan or anywhere. At this point I'm doubtful it will be released before the September VHF contest.

Icom's apology... 「アイコムIC-705」お届け遅延のお詫びとお知らせ | アイコム株式会社

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
FYI I don't know if anyone reported it yet -- but Universal has the MSRP on the 705 listed @ 1433 USD. I'd guess that first sales will start at $1299.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The 705 will be able to charge via USB? That would be a nice feature, along with all of the other fun features this radio will have. I wish Icom would release/post the manual for the 705 now, while we wait.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I received an email from Gigaparts today. It noted that Icom will begin shipment of the 705 to the Japanese domestic market mid June 2020. One thing they did convey in the email is the TX/RX coverage noted below. Still, I wonder how much of that we'll get as air band and NOAA would be nice. More specs at the link below.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I found the Japanese manual and this thing really will charge via USB which is nice. With the regular charger it takes 135 minutes. With a 2A USB supply it will take 190 minutes. Those times would be for the BP-272 2A battery.

Also, the Icom website has the suggested price at 124,800 Yen, which is under $1200 U.S. It will be interesting to see what the initial selling price will be.

The RS-BA1 software will control it as well, like the 9700/7300. I'm not sure if I would use that though with the 705. I'll spend that money on other accessories.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
The 9700 and 7300 remote completely different with RS-BA1, the 9700 and 7160 plug directly into your router and run remote very easily where the 7300 requires a host computer. Is there a web server built in the 705 for direct Ethernet connection like the 9700 and 7610?

I found the Japanese manual and this thing really will charge via USB which is nice. With the regular charger it takes 135 minutes. With a 2A USB supply it will take 190 minutes. Those times would be for the BP-272 2A battery.

Also, the Icom website has the suggested price at 124,800 Yen, which is under $1200 U.S. It will be interesting to see what the initial selling price will be.

The RS-BA1 software will control it as well, like the 9700/7300. I'm not sure if I would use that though with the 705. I'll spend that money on other accessories.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Hmm...good question.
On the RS-BA1 linked page below it seems to offer conflicting info:
1. In a graphic, see below, the text above the radios says "sever function equipped" on the top and the one on the bottom says "server not equipped". It also lists the 705 with the 7300 on the non equipped models.
2. In a comparison table on that same page it identifies the 705 as having the server function like the 9700 and 7610. It also specifically notes the 705 has the wireless LAN option, which seems to me it would not need the USB cable and host computer.

** EDIT - Okay, this has me curious so I took a look at the 705 PDF manual and under wireless LAN it notes that the RS-BA1 can remotely control the 705. It also shows under MicroUSB port control using RS-BA1. It looks like my assumption below is correct and it can be controlled either way. ( I reserve the right to be totally wrong, especially on the model we'll get for the USA ) Now that I think about it, the reason the 705 is not also listed with the other radios at the top is because those use/need an "ethernet cable", which is what it says above that green line.

Here's a link to the RS-BA1 page I looked at. Look at the comparison table row number two on that page. That text translates to "server function". You know...I wonder if the 705 can do it both ways.

Is there a web server built in the 705 for direct Ethernet connection like the 9700 and 7610?

Last edited:

palmerjrusa

They are just taking your money and putting you on a list to get one when they are in stock. Nobody has any because they have not been released yet.

Weird since they list it as "in stock" with few units available.
Just watched a Stanton and Waters video from the UK indicating it's "on its way":

Maybe it's arriving sooner than everyone's expecting it to.

jbm32

Anyone on here have an ear to the FCC about when the 705 will be approved?

It goes on sale this week in Japan and we should start seeing some reviews soon.
I believe I heard it will hit the UK in August. I check for the English manual almost
everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.