Icom: IC-705: New QRP rig from Icom in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

Power consumption is the main reason for making a QRP level radio over running a 100w radio at QRP levels. For example, an Elecraft KX3 draws around 2.1A at 10w output and just a tiny amount of current in transmit mode with no power out. A typical 100w radio draws about 2A in transmit mode at zero watts out due to the higher bias on the PA transistors and probably 3 to 5A at 10w output.

A good QRP rig will also use very little current in receive mode. An Elecraft KX3 is a world class receiver that can compete with high performance specs with some rigs costing $5k on up and it draws about 190ma on receive with the backlight turned off. A lot of new but portable 100w rigs draw 2A or more just receiving at low volume. Bottom line is how much battery do you want to lug around supporting a high current consumption radio to run QRP over using a radio designed for portable QRP level field use?

A very good question OM. Cost may be one reason, but having a genuine purposely-built low power radio, especially one that can run off batteries, with no QRO possibility is the main reason, at least for me. It's the real McCoy.

What's interesting is the number of QRP radios that are coming out even though sunspot numbers are non-existent these days. Perhaps the array of digital modes now gaining popularity that are reliable with very little power?

Here's an example of a kit from India that came out recently: Just ordered the new $149/$199 uBITX v 6.0 QRP transceiver

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I know guys who are into QRP and they make contacts on a regular basis, even though the "bands are dead".

A properly-designed dedicated QRP radio should be smaller, lighter, and draw less power than a full-size 100-watt radio. Many QRPers are also into portable operations. They set up their radios in public parks or hike up to mountain tops with them. Small, lightweight, and low power consumption are a plus if you are hiking to someplace with everything on your back.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Low power draw, plus efficiency over rolling a dial looking for stations and missing them during a break in their CQ cadence. This works both ways as stations using a waterfall would have the visual advantage of spotting a QRP station. This solar minimum is going to last a while and it is the perfect time for operators to embrace being able to see a chunk of spectrum and the signals therein.

W5lz

A very good question OM. Cost may be one reason, but having a genuine purposely-built low power radio, especially one that can run off batteries, with no QRO possibility is the main reason, at least for me. It's the real McCoy.

What's interesting is the number of QRP radios that are coming out even though sunspot numbers are non-existent these days. Perhaps the array of digital modes now gaining popularity that are reliable with very little power?

Here's an example of a kit from India that came out recently: Just ordered the new $149/$199 uBITX v 6.0 QRP transceiver

Turning power down is also the 'real thing's, plus you have the option not to do so. Kind'a hard to increase something that isn't there to start with.

Hit_Factor

Turning power down is also the 'real thing's, plus you have the option not to do so. Kind'a hard to increase something that isn't there to start with.
But this little rig has so many capabilities. Simply turning down the power on a rig isn't likely to match the capabilities.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
You are not aware of the fundamental point/feature of a low power portable radio. For example, the power draw from my Yaesu 897D is more than double versus my Yaesu 817ND when both set to 5W transmit power. I have tested both and unfortunately do not have the numbers in front of me at the moment. Still, the power draw during RX and TX is much more on the 897 even though they are both set for 5W. What you perceive as the "real thing" is imagined to some degree. At a minimum, at least review the mfg. published power draw specs during RX, knowing that during TX the difference between the two will be more.

prcguy

Exactly. It can mean the difference between a small battery running a rig for a weekend or only a couple of hours. A 5AH pack made with A123 Systems 26650 LiFePO4 cells can run my KX2 or KX3 for a weekend of fun talking and listening but my Icom 706 used as a portable will run it dead in 2 1/2 hours just receiving and no transmit.

You are not aware of the fundamental point/feature of a low power portable radio. For example, the power draw from my Yaesu 897D is more than double versus my Yaesu 817ND when both set to 5W transmit power. I have tested both and unfortunately do not have the numbers in front of me at the moment. Still, the power draw during RX and TX is much more on the 897 even though they are both set for 5W. What you perceive as the "real thing" is imagined to some degree. At a minimum, at least review the mfg. published power draw specs during RX, knowing that during TX the difference between the two will be more.

prcguy

Looks interesting. The A123 26650 cells in a 4S2P configuration provides about 13.5v through most of its discharge cycle which is great for radios. Some others types are lower voltage. Plus the A123 cells are rated for over 7,000 charge/discharge cycles.

Not getting too far off topic, I picked up this LiFePO4 battery on Amazon. $30 and 6 Ah. Yeah I know, a massive cost difference versus A123 or Bioenno. I have not performed any testing yet so we shall see.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info on batteries vagrant. Am running my Index Labs QRP+ with a power supply but eventually want to switch over. No plans for outdoor operation, just like the idea of working off a battery.

W5lz

You're right, I don't know the current draw of either of those radios. I -do- know about current draw, AH ratings, etc. Assuming that I don't is a mistake on your part. But I forgive your lack of knowledge concerning that.

W5lz

But this little rig has so many capabilities. Simply turning down the power on a rig isn't likely to match the capabilities.
...unless it happens to have those capabilitie to start with. Maybe even a few useful ones too...

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I -do- know about current draw, AH ratings, etc.
Which 100 watt radios do you have in mind that draw the same power when turned down to five watts during RX and or TX as a purpose built QRP radio?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I just ordered one of the uBITX QRP kits. It will be interesting how it works out. I was really impressed with one fellow's first QSO from Texas to Trenton, NJ...

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Here is a 50+ minute video review of the IC-705. One could call it an Icom love-in, so if you're not a fan of this upcoming radio, there are leaves in your yard that need raking.

Some points I like were the mount holes on the bottom. I have a Gorilla tri-pod mount that will easily hold this, but the four other mount holes will really hold it and allow for various aftermarket mounting brackets. The one thing everyone is still waiting for is what the RX range will be. If it is amateur bands only below 54 MHz, I'm not going to be as happy. This demo model shows that it covers FM broadcast and Air band too. I would also love wide band RX above 54 MHz, but I'm figuring it will be limited to 144-148 and 420-450 MHz, which is fine.

I expect I will end up purchasing one before the ARRL VHF contest in June. Hopefully it's not buggy as this is expected to be released in April. With my luck it will be out of stock when I go to purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.