BCD160DN/BCD260DN: Is this a new Uniden model? BCD260DN

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
Same as @RCjim mine lights up about 5 seconds, latest software upgrade but no idea what it improved. One thing I noticed is the eneloop batteries are much easier to insert and remove from the radio than the 125 and 325.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It would be great if Uniden did some communicating about this,

I wouldn't hold my breath. It was exactly 2 months ago today that @JoeBearcat announced that the new scanners had started shipping on that day (Feb 22nd).....

And he hasn't been seen or heard from since that day, without any explanation from him or from Uniden. Sure gives the impression of..... "Here's your new scanners, good luck.... I'm outa here".

To say that he has discredited the title of "Uniden Representative" is an understatement.

bearcatrp

Maybe someone with a 325 can tell us if that’s the way that model works.
I have a 325P2. Will check it out.

Just checked my 325 out. Works fine set on squelch. Thats with the attached antenna. Have to check the 160 out with just the attached antenna to see if it works like its supposed to.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Just checked the 160 with just the attached antenna. Works fine on open for squelch. But when I have it hooked up to my discone and sitting next to my R30, it will not light up on squelch brake after the 1st time. Weird. Can tell you this, so far its not bad on air but against my R30, its not as good. On strong signals, they both light up the same. On signals that are S5 or lower, the R30 picks it up, the 160 does not.

Remon

Same as @RCjim mine lights up about 5 seconds, latest software upgrade but no idea what it improved. One thing I noticed is the eneloop batteries are much easier to insert and remove from the radio than the 125 and 325.
I also noticed the keypad is more responsive. Less spongy than the 125.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It is very simple GRE Now Known as WHISTLER Ownes the Patton for the Light up on open Squelch Uniden could only do a short light or pay for the rights this is a known fact no for several years. This dates back to the Radioshack 197 and 106 scanners.

JCar24

Premium Subscriber
It is very simple GRE Now Known as WHISTLER Ownes the Patton for the Light up on open Squelch Uniden could only do a short light or pay for the rights this is a known fact no for several years. This dates back to the Radioshack 197 and 106 scanners.
So you are saying Uniden payed the rights for the 125, but not the 160?

JCar24

Premium Subscriber
Could anybody be able to verify if there is a way to quick save a frequency from band scope mode?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I was thinking the patent was only for the LED light that can be different colors for different channels and/or talkgroups...but maybe it was both. Either way, the patent is for it being on the full time the squelch is opened instead of just a short time as I understood it.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
OK, yes. I knew it was why the LED or bl doesn't stay on the entire time.

Patents are funny things sometimes. Or, perhaps the workarounds are what's funny. Where there's a will, there's a way...

Sure do miss UPMan...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
OK, yes. I knew it was why the LED or bl doesn't stay on the entire time.

Patents are funny things sometimes. Or, perhaps the workarounds are what's funny. Where there's a will, there's a way...

Sure do miss UPMan...
For example, on the 396XT, you can set a specific background color (on the display) to be used whenever that channel was active. But, that background color was only utilized for a short time, after which the display background reverted to your default color.

bearcatrp

Will start comparing the 160 to my 325P2 since they are very similar. Have proved the R30 is superior on airband, but probably not a fair comparison. The menu system is very similar to the 325, almost like they rebadged the 352 minus P25, and changed a few things on the menu and frequency limit. Will post my findings on the two.

JCar24

Premium Subscriber
Will start comparing the 160 to my 325P2 since they are very similar. Have proved the R30 is superior on airband, but probably not a fair comparison. The menu system is very similar to the 325, almost like they rebadged the 352 minus P25, and changed a few things on the menu and frequency limit. Will post my findings on the two.
My thoughts exactly. I still can't shake my gut feeling that the physical components are identical in both scanners. I bet Uniden comes along later and offers an upgrade for "Close Call", either by a firmware update or a paid upgrade.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Just checked the past 2 hours on different frequencies, air only. Both the 160 and the 325 are pretty much the same on distant and close aircraft. Decided to try it up against my RS Pro 26. The same. I don't scan railroads so if anyone with both 160 and 325 can compare the two, would help folks deciding on the 160. Its still a good air band radio but if you already have a 325P2, not needed unless you want to scan smaller portions on each radio. Am of the opinion the 160 is basically the same as the 325 minus trunking and P25 when it comes to air band. Don't have much for NXDN around my area so can't test that out. Do have DMR on my 325 so will be checking that out next against the 160. Since DMR and NXDN is included with the 160, I think its a good radio so far for the price. I had to pay for my DMR upgrade for my 325P2. Hope this helps.

bearcatrp

Another observation on the 160. The menu system has expanded similar to the 325P2 but much more. Very interesting How this is setup. Almost not necessary to program, almost. Almost thought about selling my 160 since my 325 does the same as this and more but for now, will spend some more time with it. Haven’t had time to do the comparison on DMR. Hope to soon.