fire512

Premium Subscriber
I was just wondering about a updated one myself yesterday. I hadn't kept up with the scanner and radio stuff in a few years. Trying to get my scanner up to date. Seems Lyon Co SO switched to KSICS as i hear stuff on that new talkgroup but nothing on 450 for awhile now. But the audio sounds way different. Does the KSICS system sound different then the analog 450mhz? Sounds like the way the KHP sounds when they talk. I saw in the local news something about Emporia or LYCO was talking about leasing tower space NE of Emporia for 800mhz but the article didn't say for what. Nice how the local news leaves out everything useful for us radio people.
Lyon County went live about a month ago. I have no information on Talkgroups or anything yet though.

fire512

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone heard the State is no longer going approve or assign radio ID's to Phase 1 equipment after January 1? There are alot of users who can't afford new equipment and its too bad.

Also, I've heard rumor of a new KHP template coming out with all new talkgroups and implementation of AES on most if not all of their channels. Anyone else heard any of this?

dgruver911

Nothing has been said about doing away with Phase 1 ID's. I've not heard any discussion about this in any of the state meetings I attend.
As for a new template, yes that has been done. Not without controversy, but I'll leave that alone. Each region EOC is now Tac -1, LE is now Tac -2, Emgt is now an AES encrypted only channel, and Fire, EMS and PWKS were shut off. There are a host of other changes including 3 additional talkgroups in the ICS Zones, and all Event 2 talkgroups have been renamed for the Weather office that supports each region, and Event 4 was renamed Event 2. That won't cause confusion, will it???
The reasoning they gave was that most of the channels weren't being used so they felt a change was needed. They are pushing everyone to change as soon as they can. It will take a while to get AES implemented across the state for Law Enforcement though as that is a $500 update or new radios and very few agencies use AES yet. I've not heard anything about further AES encryption.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
MISSING SITES?
Is there a site 1-43?
If there a site 2-44?
Both are skipped in the database.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Nothing has been said about doing away with Phase 1 ID's. I've not heard any discussion about this in any of the state meetings I attend.
As for a new template, yes that has been done. Not without controversy, but I'll leave that alone. Each region EOC is now Tac -1, LE is now Tac -2, Emgt is now an AES encrypted only channel, and Fire, EMS and PWKS were shut off. There are a host of other changes including 3 additional talkgroups in the ICS Zones, and all Event 2 talkgroups have been renamed for the Weather office that supports each region, and Event 4 was renamed Event 2. That won't cause confusion, will it???
The reasoning they gave was that most of the channels weren't being used so they felt a change was needed. They are pushing everyone to change as soon as they can. It will take a while to get AES implemented across the state for Law Enforcement though as that is a $500 update or new radios and very few agencies use AES yet. I've not heard anything about further AES encryption.
are you saying they're pushing to do AES on all Law enforcement talkgroups or just the special AES statewide channel?

dgruver911

are you saying they're pushing to do AES on all Law enforcement talkgroups or just the special AES statewide channel?
Well, they can't tell you what to do on your local talkgroups, but they are highly recommending it, and if you're having to pay the extra $$$ to update your radios, why not go to the better encryption? Many agencies are opting to do so.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Does anyone know where 2538 is coming from? It's most likely a Sheriff channel from the traffic I"m hearing. Def law enforcement. it's one I have that's not listed on the database. Also have 2460, 4838, 4447, 4457. I'm in Emporia KS. Not sure what towers it's coming from but I have Lyon, Chase, and I think Wabaunsee and Waverly Towers coming in from my house on the base antenna.

mancow

Database Admin
Well, they can't tell you what to do on your local talkgroups, but they are highly recommending it, and if you're having to pay the extra $$$ to update your radios, why not go to the better encryption? Many agencies are opting to do so.

Unless they bought APX1500s which can't be AES upgraded. :unsure: The Moto schoolyard pusher model strikes again. Get em hoooked on the cheap stuff then they have to come back.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Any recordings or other details?
Sorry I didn't record anything. That's a good idea then i can play the stuff back and hear more in less time. but I would have to keep it on one channel and hope to hear something. I haven't heard the other ones mentioned lately when paying attention.

KC_zero_DSU

I programmed KSICS in to my BCD996P2 for Linn county. I have LE, EMS, Fire, KBI, & Highway Patrol Troop H talkgroups but all I ever hear is Highway Patrol out of Chanute and a few Found Channels for JOCO Troop A and Miami County EMS. I know that Linn county still uses analog freqs. quite a bit for LE and other stuff but I started not hearing anything for fire and EMS so I bought a digital scanner finally thinking I'd hear them on the KSICS system but not hearing anything. I hear ambulances and fire trucks going by but don't hear any traffic digital or analog. I may hear LE as first responders to a medical situation or a fire but no EMS or fire personnel. Anyone know what's going on with that? Someone posted above, "Each region EOC is now Tac -1, LE is now Tac -2, Emgt is now an AES encrypted only channel, and Fire, EMS and PWKS were shut off.." What does that mean exactly?

dgruver911

I can't speak to Linn County specifcally since I don't reside/listen, but looking at the database it appears only EMS is on KSICS, everyone else is still on analog VHF. As fas as your last question, up until late last year there were 5 regional Tac channels and an EOC in each sub-region (SE1, SE2, KC3, NE4, etc). The State renamed 3 of them and took 3 of those away because they thought they weren't being used enough. Those channels are for interop and mutual aid, they are not supposed to be used for day-to-day operations. So doubtful you'll find your local agencies there.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I'm fairly certain Chase County Fire is on 4446 now. Lyon/Emporia FD went to the turnpike for a pole fire at MP118 and Chase Co Fire is enroute. I heard the Chase SO on the 800 and then heard talk on 4446 that sounds like the Fire Dept. So I guess they converted over. It's not in the database. just heard someone talking to a "Matfield One". Chase SO has 4444.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Is it harder or more unreliable to receive a traffic from a KSICS tower vs a conventional repeater? I am listening to LYCO SO and it seems like sometimes it cuts out and i get a decent signal but there's no audio coming from the scanner. It's like i'm missing traffic or something. I think it might be using 3 different towers but my question is: If one tower doesn't come in well does that mean i will miss the traffic? Also if I"m using a handheld with a whip or duck antenna indoors and only hit the closest tower does that mean i won't get all the traffic if it uses another tower? I am told by a news reporter and a LYCO Dispatcher that the 800mhz system comes in much better. But i think it's far from the truth since it's not on a local tower in town. And I think the digital radio voice quality sounds like crap. It's really tinny sounding. Is that the way it sounds on their radios? That same news reporter btw was using a handheld digital scanner with a stock duck inside the Emporia Gazette in a old brick building. I would be surprised if it got the nearest 800 tower.

dgruver911

The short answer is yes, it is easier to pick up a conventional tower because you know that anyone who is talking on/listening to that frequency is only using that tower, so you know you will hear all traffic. On a trunk system, you don't know what tower they are affiliated with, and 2 people could be having a conversation across 2 towers miles/counties apart that your scanner can't hear. Add simulcast to the mix and it gets even more complex since scanners don't handle simul very well. But the radios handle it pretty well (I won't say perfectly, because they can have issues too) but that is why they cost 3-4 thousand and a scanner costs 3-4 hundred. In my experience the stock multi-band antennas that come with the scanners are lousy on the state system, go for an 800 only antenna. They work MUCH better. Hope that answers your question Eric. And no, on the radios the audio is crystal clear, unless they go digital, which happens pretty infrequently.