Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber
New York Times: Two U.S. officials familiar with the operation, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the military airlifted about 70 U.S. Embassy employees using both helicopters and V-22 Ospreys — a plane that can take off and land vertically — from a site near the embassy after sundown. The Navy’s SEAL Team 6 special force was involved, one of those officials also said.

N4TX

Premium Subscriber
I was hearing HUNTRESS faintly from just outside DC yesterday and today.
Washington Center KZDC located in Leesburg, VA, just west of KIAD, has Huntress transmitting capabilities on site. That’s about 50 miles from Camp David. I’ve moved too far away to verify that that‘s what’s in use.

BM82557

Washington Center KZDC located in Leesburg, VA, just west of KIAD, has Huntress transmitting capabilities on site. That’s about 50 miles from Camp David. I’ve moved too far away to verify that that‘s what’s in use.

I believe you're correct about Leesburg as I can usually hear Huntress ground side when Guard Dog is active.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Beaufort SC airshow was the place to be yesterday for Marine Corp aviation.. Looked like huge crowd.

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
1326z 132.000 AXIS 45 working Bangor OPs (civil side) 20 minutes out, inbound with fuel request. No need for customs we are coming from Pittsburgh. Note: Nothing showing on ADSBx. If he hits my personal ADSB box, I'll update with info.

1337z 118.925 AXIS 45 check in with Bangor approach, 11,000 for 7,000 inbound RNAV runway 15, full stop.

NOTHING on my box. Must have ADSB turned off.

Last edited:

dmi

Premium Subscriber
Yea. I can sometimes hear ZDC Leesburg, VA on the UHF side. It must be on a tall tower somewhere over there because Leesburg, VA isn't high in altitude. Some time ago I was communicating on simplex with a ham over there and he was in just the right spot so I could hear him. I plotted the path and the signal was going right down the Potomac river missing a lot of obstructions.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had that capability at High Point Special Facility (SF), Mount Weather, VA as well. They're at something like 1800 feet over there.

FEMA Mount Weather Underground Facility _WHCA Crys.jpg

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
1040- Teflon 32 (KC-135 # 58-0103) coming down from Pease to take over CAP tanker duty.
TEFLON-3258-0103KC-135T6th ARW

TEFLON-32.png
As mentioned earlier, but hey always nice to have confirmation I guess. :oops:

N4TX

Premium Subscriber
I'll try to grab a picture next time we drive by Washington Center ZDC in Leesburg. It's right on the highway but I'm usually trying to just stay on the road. I've never heard of any ZDC RCAG site at Mt. Weather. Only comms I'm aware of up there are for getting helos in and out of the site. Last time I drove by they had tarps stretched across the fence to restrict visibility.

paradiver

As mentioned earlier, but hey always nice to have confirmation I guess. :oops:
Tefln33 (18-46042) just called on station at the SE corner and running parallel tract. Sounded like 32 was nursing before it left.

Status
Not open for further replies.