Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2024

dmi

Premium Subscriber
CAP Tanker:
TEFLON-32 (KC-135R #57-1493) - 50th ARS - KMCF - MacDill AFB, FL

Departed out of KPSM and looks like it will return to KPSM after CAP today.

Not showing on ADSB-Ex

Note: Tropospheric ducting going on now. Good change to hear far away signals.

I was hearing, from DC, the controller on: 282.200 - Washington ARTCC Bucks Elbow, VA - RCAG - Casanova sector

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Working with US Naval assets in that area....doing testing with NASA Wallops facility. You can do a lot that high up !!
Bit off topic Terry but saw on news that down in that big Delta Maint Center an airliner tire exploded
and killed two employees and hurt another.. What is the biggest danger in dealing with large airline tires?
I figured you in that business might shed some light on this.
I haven't seen Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs do airliner tires yet..

NOBLE-32 searching for a TOI on 260.900.. nothing further.. now A/A 270.900.
Both Nobles say jackal sour trying to get Norad feed..
TEFLON-34 with 33 as 34 entering airspace soon on boom 247.500

Last edited:

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Bit off topic Terry but saw on news that down in that big Delta Maint Center an airliner tire exploded
and killed two employees and hurt another.. What is the biggest danger in dealing with large airline tires?
I figured you in that business might shed some light on this.
I haven't seen Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs do airliner tires yet..

NOBLE-32 searching for a TOI on 260.900.. nothing further.. now A/A 270.900.
Both Nobles say jackal sour trying to get Norad feed..
TEFLON-34 with 33 as 34 entering airspace soon on boom 247.500
Mark

Just got back to the beach from visit to PA (keeping the medical doctors vacations well paid for)....anyway I have read some areas of discussion and apparently the tire was at full or nearly full pressure when they were trying to remove the wheel assembly from the tire. Unlike a car tire the wheel is in two sections (inboard and outboard half) and held together by high strength bolts and nuts. The incident occurred in the shop not on the aircraft itself. The mechanics did not bleed down the pressure before tearing down the assembly. A 757 main wheel would be kept at about 250 psi (filled with nitrogen) when it is installed on the aircraft. When the wheel assembly is removed - the procedure is to release the pressure so that the thing does not do what it did here. At our facility we always deflated the as-removed wheel/tire assemblies if the operator did not do that upon removal from the aircraft. Also makes them easier to handle since inflated they have a tendency to fall over --- keep in mind the tire usually weighs more than the wheels assembly but combined a 757 main wheel would be over 450 pounds inflated. Trying to keep this short but if you have any other questions ask and I will try to answer. Here is our company website

I was with them from 1988 till retirement in 2020 and I now work for them as a sub contractor remotely.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Does that mean that the Shaw guys did CAP duty in Chicago or that CAPs use set pairs of A2A freqs?

That I do not know I don't think Chicago was tracking which aircraft were used, just monitoring them. I do not remember seeing tail numbers or units.

frank3si

Mark

Just got back to the beach from visit to PA (keeping the medical doctors vacations well paid for)....anyway I have read some areas of discussion and apparently the tire was at full or nearly full pressure when they were trying to remove the wheel assembly from the tire. Unlike a car tire the wheel is in two sections (inboard and outboard half) and held together by high strength bolts and nuts. The incident occurred in the shop not on the aircraft itself. The mechanics did not bleed down the pressure before tearing down the assembly. A 757 main wheel would be kept at about 250 psi (filled with nitrogen) when it is installed on the aircraft. When the wheel assembly is removed - the procedure is to release the pressure so that the thing does not do what it did here. At our facility we always deflated the as-removed wheel/tire assemblies if the operator did not do that upon removal from the aircraft. Also makes them easier to handle since inflated they have a tendency to fall over --- keep in mind the tire usually weighs more than the wheels assembly but combined a 757 main wheel would be over 450 pounds inflated. Trying to keep this short but if you have any other questions ask and I will try to answer. Here is our company website

I was with them from 1988 till retirement in 2020 and I now work for them as a sub contractor remotely.

I just drove by there today - at least the address that is the mailing address on the website...

jsoergel

That I do not know I don't think Chicago was tracking which aircraft were used, just monitoring them. I do not remember seeing tail numbers or units.

It was Shaw for Chicago CAP. Heard 270.900 and 297.900 in use during transit.