Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2024

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Shaw F-16's have only about a week and a half on their 3 month rotation of CAP duty.
Should be another unit come October 1st.. Anyone's guess who is next.

NOBLE-21 says after refueling will go chase a white balloon with something hanging below it.
Says balloon is not real large at about 26k in attitude moving North-South.
Sounds like small Wx balloon..
Odd I do not see any normal weather balloons airborne at this time in his area

one was just launched per normal time of launch

1726873762668.png

Last edited:

reconrider8

Shaw F-16's have only about a week and a half on their 3 month rotation of CAP duty.
Should be another unit come October 1st.. Anyone's guess who is next.

NOBLE-21 says after refueling will go chase a white balloon with something hanging below it.
Says balloon is not real large at about 26k in attitude moving North-South.
Sounds like small Wx balloon..
I know those boys are bored but dern this is getting a little cat and mouse now or shall I say coyote and road runner

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I know those boys are bored but dern this is getting a little cat and mouse now or shall I say coyote and road runner
One of these days sadly a civ aircraft will tangle with one of these small wx balloons and possible aviation disaster and there will be huge
outcry of "what are these balloons doing in heavy air traffic space?"
How many small University type data balloons do we have to launch these days? Somebody burning thru the cash..

Last edited:

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
If the balloon is remaining at that altitude (which is a little odd since they usually go higher) example the one I posted earlier is now here
1726878542878.png1726878587284.png
and above 85K altitude - that data from it is monitorable on that 403.00 mhz freq

Then it could be a FOD hazard to a large engine inlet like on a KC46 (nearly 10 foot wide). So best to know where it is at in case they need to warn others in the vicinity.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Sure was a great tanker.. Funny those 60 KC-10's were added to USAF almost like an afterthought in the 80's but
listening around here in past 25 years they were many times the tanker of choice for large Altrav deployments overseas.
Still remember years ago large group of Dyess B-1's going to UK accompanied by at least 9 McGuire KC-10's.
That extra fuel they had plus drogue hose option was always the difference.
Course the new KC-46's are also in the same league as KC-10's and better in many ways so time marches on :)

Last edited: