Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2024

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
CH-53E Super Stallion found outside San Diego CA in mountainous terrain after missing it's arrival time with 5 Marines onboard. Rescuers having hard time reaching the location due to heavy snow and wind. As far as I know, no Marines have been found yet.
The reporting has been terrible on this. they found the helicopter but couldn't put a PJ on the ground to see if anyone is inside it? PJ's are pretty dedicated (as are many others). If they could get to the point where someone could see a helicopter on the ground, I can't believe they wouldn't let someone struggle to get to it. Yes I realize terrible weather in near impossible terrain. I realize the info is very scarce right not.

Thanks
Joel

Mark

Premium Subscriber
In case you see any F-35B's down South with tail code WH it is these guys who have become operational.
Also nicknamed The Tigers.
300px-VMFA-542_Squadron_Insignia.jpg

freqhopping

CH-53E Super Stallion found outside San Diego CA in mountainous terrain after missing it's arrival time with 5 Marines onboard. Rescuers having hard time reaching the location due to heavy snow and wind. As far as I know, no Marines have been found yet.

Well, it crashed into the side of a mountain. It's going to take awhile. I don't expect to hear anything about 'finding' them until all official notifications have been made.

Looks like a case of get-there-itis, poor decision continuing into crap weather. Should've parked it at El Centro for the night.
TIGER11 flight track

hrspotter

Jet noise lover
I wish that was predictable! Have caught them a few times early evening at the North Landing Bridge, but that put the Sun right in my camera. Would love to catch them in the morning--or find a good vantage point to the west of Fentress

73/Allen (N4JRI)
They're pretty regular but not predictable. I've always caught them in the afternoon or evening when it's cloudy. Weekdays mostly but sometimes on the weekends. Down southside you can hear the rumble from about 8 miles away.

As for the west vantage point, you may have some luck at the corner of Carter and Blue Ridge if they're using the south FCLP trap. It's about 600m to the centerline instead of 250 at the eastern side.

FLboy850

The reporting has been terrible on this. they found the helicopter but couldn't put a PJ on the ground to see if anyone is inside it? PJ's are pretty dedicated (as are many others). If they could get to the point where someone could see a helicopter on the ground, I can't believe they wouldn't let someone struggle to get to it. Yes I realize terrible weather in near impossible terrain. I realize the info is very scarce right not.

Thanks
Joel
PJs would’ve had to come out of Moffett Field, Nellis, or Davis Monthan (significant distances from East San Diego County). San Diego proper has a variety of SAR units (military, federal, state, and local all with aviation assets). The terrain in east county is mountainous and unforgiving, coupled with poor weather. They’re currently forecasting an additional 6-10 inches of snow in some parts of the mountains, plus high winds. I’m sure they’re moving as quick as they can, and as safely as they can.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
02-07-24
ARNET 54 & 55 (KC-46 54, 19-46063 & 55, 20-46074)
274.450 AR-220 Prime, said on Cleve.C. VHF that they're refueling SKULL 32. 08:30PM.
120.775 Cleve.C. ARNET 54 giving End of AR clearances, 08:42pm.

Chuck in Detroit / NODAK 1
Thanks Chuck going over tape I had SKULL-32 ZDC UHF at 1930 local looking for their tankers.
Requested one 360 turn to await their tankers.
Sorry i missed it live.. Would have had more info..Folks out here asleep on the radios..
2055 local See ARNET 54,55 Tankers on their way back to McGuire it seems
Guessing SKULLS came up from Barksdale to hit tankers and then go West.
Looks like they darn near went overhead NYC.
2105 seems ARNET tankers headed for the NY ranges up North.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
POTUS takes Marine 1 to VA Thursday...

2:55 PM THE PRESIDENT departs the White House en route to Leesburg, Virginia from South Lawn
3:20 PM THE PRESIDENT arrives in Leesburg Executive Airport, Leesburg, Virginia
5:35 PM THE PRESIDENT departs Leesburg Executive Airport, Leesburg, Virginia en route to the White House
6:00 PM THE PRESIDENT arrives at the White House to South Lawn

Also, Friday FLOTUS heads to NC...

On Friday, February 9th, First Lady Jill Biden will travel to Charlotte, North Carolina, and Nashville, Tennessee.

At 1:30 PM, the First Lady will arrive at Charlotte Douglas International Airport in Charlotte, North Carolina.
At 3:30 PM, the First Lady will arrive at the Nashville International Airport in Nashville, Tennessee.

nodak1crdet3

02-07-24
MOLE 11
348.675 Cleve.C. 09:39pm.
284.625 Cleve.C. 09:51pm.
317.625 Indy.C. 09:59pm.

MOLT 11 (B-2)
299.600 INDY.C. request right turn to AEX, then KSZL final destination. 10:15pm. MOLT 11 affirm, 10:19pm. Getting weak but readable signal.
MOLT not MOLE. Going to Whiteman AFB.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Guys

Posted on another list

For those of you who are aviation enthusiasts, especially if you are hosting
aviation feeders:

FAA Announces More Privacy For Aircraft Operators - AVweb
operators/

I wonder what affect this will have on ADSB-Exchange, the only website I am
aware of that does not block "Blocked aircraft".

This is just a re-hash of the PIA program that has been in place, and used by a number of planes (IE Taylor Swift who is suing Jack Sweeney), for years. The planes still show up but with a fake hex code. Takes a little more effort to figure out who they are, but it still shows and still can be tracked.

The only change, which the article mentions, is that it will now expand the areas where it can be used (typically in US airspace I believe) to include more offshore airspace and routes traversing the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited: