Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2024

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Interesting there are four A400s in our vicinity this morning - one each from UK, Belgium, and Germany, with a second UK heading southwest about to reach Maine.
Funny story about the A-400 as a couple years ago when one of the F-15C units was covering the Beach CAP the
route of course overflew Dover AFB area.. There was a Belgium A-400 visiting Dover and the two pilots were checking it out
from above and they had no idea what type it was.. "Strange aircraft looks like a bit like the C-17 but has props!"
This back and forth went on for a while and they never did figure out what it was except it was foreign. :)

frank3si

Funny story about the A-400 as a couple years ago when one of the F-15C units was covering the Beach CAP the
route of course overflew Dover AFB area.. There was a Belgium A-400 visiting Dover and the two pilots were checking it out
from above and they had no idea what type it was.. "Strange aircraft looks like a bit like the C-17 but has props!"
This back and forth went on for a while and they never did figure out what it was except it was foreign. :)

One of the German ones was a last minute addition to the Atlantic City Air Show last year. It was in the air when I arrived for the practice show and took a quick glance and thought, "Oh, a C-17..." since I wasn't expecting to see it. It took a minute before I spotted the props and got smart ;) They did a pretty robust demo - those things can handle!

KO4RJX

ALLOW99 163918 E-6 "was" heading north east over North Carolina before making a 180 around the NC/VA line coming back south about 15 miles north of the house. Grabbed a few pictures which appear to show the gears down? Speed was rather slow at around 270 mph at FL220.

Attachments

• ALLOW99-163918-1.JPG
    ALLOW99-163918-1.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 26
  • ALLOW99-163918-2.JPG
    ALLOW99-163918-2.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 25
  • ALLOW99-163918-3.JPG
    ALLOW99-163918-3.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 26

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
ALLOW99 163918 E-6 "was" heading north east over North Carolina before making a 180 around the NC/VA line coming back south about 15 miles north of the house. Grabbed a few pictures which appear to show the gears down? Speed was rather slow at around 270 mph at FL220.
Now that RR is back and it deleted my post on this subject....the E6 max speed for deploying the landing gear is 270. So that is why that speed was noted. They can fly a bit faster (up to 310) but they were probably being prudent in their process.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
08:58 EST My feeds are back online - not sure why both stopped by anyway.

NOBLEs in CAP may have to go into the Warning Areas off the coast to do their orbits due to weather. They called their Ops on 261.00 and said that this needs to be discussed !! Guess they are not to happy about doing circles over the water.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
08:58 EST My feeds are back online - not sure why both stopped by anyway.

NOBLEs in CAP may have to go into the Warning Areas off the coast to do their orbits due to weather. They called their Ops on 261.00 and said that this needs to be discussed !! Guess they are not to happy about doing circles over the water.
Some of the Makos the last 2 days have been complaining about almost everything.
Don't like this,Don't like that..etc.. why this? why that? Think some of them have had enough of CAP work :)
My turn to complain.. Look at the rain down Florida way.. Not sure about a Daytona 500 later today.

Last edited:

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Some of the Makos the last 2 days have been complaining about almost everything.
Don't like this,Don't like that..etc.. why this? why that? Think some of them have had enough CAP work :)
My turn to complain.. Look at the rain down Florida way.. Not sure about a Daytona 500 later today.
Yeah but they sure love looking at the large expensive beach houses !!

It was funny (I can hear Huntress on the ground side from my PA feed) and when Huntress called the tanker to ask about future fuel offload...the guy on 284.100 air air immediately went oh oh - tankers late.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Yeah but they sure love looking at the large expensive beach houses !!

It was funny (I can hear Huntress on the ground side from my PA feed) and when Huntress called the tanker to ask about future fuel offload...the guy on 284.100 air air immediately went oh oh - tankers late.
Acars shows ZOMBIE-12 Wisconsin ANG next parked at Dover KC-135 #61-0309... Not far to go.
Late yesterday heard ZOMBIE-13 recover at Dover so maybe up again.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
May have a full day of racing tomorrow, with Xfinity Series already rescheduled from last evening to tomorrow morning at 11. First Fox Sports live-from-the-track is at 11, so we'll get an on the ground report then.

It's official: the Daytona 500 has been postponed to Monday, Feb. 19, due to inclement weather, NASCAR announced Sunday morning. The race will now be held at 4 p.m. on Monday, following the NASCAR Xfinity Series race, which was also postponed to Monday.