• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland STP-105B Syntech III P25 Portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

brushfire21

Feed Provider
Have been doing some research on the radio and coming up blank as far as user comments or feedback is concerned. Anybody use them and if so what are your thoughts, and how does it compare to some of the other P25 portables on the market.

I really like the channels, user functions and other items it has compared to other units.

tc792

I would say I'm pretty familiar with this radio. I have about 20 out in service. It is lightweight, small and durable. Audio quality is great, no problems to mention. It has the ability to change from analog to digital transmission with the press of one button and the user can set up their own zone of channels. Both, of these features are not common, if available at all on other brands.

brushfire21

Feed Provider
Thank you for the feedback. Pricey little suckers (compared to less expensive units) but they seem to have more options than most other P25 portables on the shelf.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for pointing out this little beauty...just the thing for what I want in an HT/scanner combo...could do my local P25 stuff as well as ham repeaters including the couple of P25 machines and the weather service transmitters.

pickles37

I just got hold of an STP-105B, and so far like it a lot, not least because of its amazingly compact size compared to the XTS5000, EFJ5100, etc. I do have a few questions though if we have any experts!

1. The FPP works really well, except I can't for the life of me find any way to set a DCS tone (as opposed to the CTCSS codes) in the menu. Any ideas?

2. What is the command zone? I can add channels to it with the * key but can't seem to get to it anywhere

3. Does anyone know what the programming software is for the radio, or how to get hold of it? I can't seem to find anything. The FPP is nice but I'd like to be able to program from a PC

Thanks in advance!

David

fealand

The DCS codes are at the very bottom of the ctcss codes. scroll all the way down the list. Also they are listed as the code slash the inverted. The command zone is zone 0.

The PC software is available along with the cables.

fealand

I should have meationed, the command zone allows you to add channels from any zone to it and they go in in the order you add them. You delete them from the comand zone same as you add them. It allows a user on an incedent to build a zone on the fly from what is in the radio without haveing to program every ch.

All buttons other than the menu button are programable for many funtions but care should be given to make them only do one thing or you can cunfuse the users.

pickles37

Many thanks for the help! I now am able to use the command zone, which is surprisingly useful

For some reason my radio just doesn't seem to have the DCS codes in at all - not sure if they were turned off in software or something. Very odd...

David

fealand

Can you user program the radio? If so go to ch programing, rx or tx tone type and select edit then dcs. If you can and can't figure it out, PM me and I will provide a phone number for you to call me and I will walk you through it.

pickles37

Yes, I can go into channel parameters -> channels -> (password) -> channel select and everything works fine. It's just that under the RX and TX tones it just says, e.g. "RX Tone (CCS)" and only lives a list of CTCSS codes, not DCS codes

Thanks!

fealand

When you get past the ch select paramater, scroll to TX tone type and change it from ccs to dcs then do the same to rx tone type and save them. Then scroll through the tone selections. It is easier with the pc software though but can be done by user programing.

Frank

pickles37

Got in touch with Midland support (who incidentally are really helpful), and apparently I have an older version of the firmware which did not include DCS (oddly!). I'm sending it in for a firmware flash which should solve the problem. Thanks for the replies!

honestspider

Premium Subscriber
Video

Anyone with some experience on this radio willing to post a short video online on how to program the radio from the keypad? I'm going to be setting it up for some local amature repeaters and some local LE freq's. I am located in Clay County Minnesota, can someone please use the county P25 freqs as an example so I have an idea on how to program these please.

Thanks in advance,
KD0KAH

Status
Not open for further replies.