Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
LouisvilleScanMan / Chris, very nice 5 minute VLog that you did on your RS/SAR Van. What all is the Motorola rig programmed up for? Other than that and the CB radio, do you plan to add any other radios/scanners?

73, Dave K4EET

LouisvilleScanMan / Chris, very nice 5 minute VLog that you did on your RS/SAR Van. What all is the Motorola rig programmed up for? Other than that and the CB radio, do you plan to add any other radios/scanners?

73, Dave K4EET
The Motorola is an 800mhz scanner for the local fd pd trunking system. It has tx capability on the 8tac channels which we have authority to use.

It's not in the video but I was just recently issued a yeasu 2 meter mobile with a tnc to use as an aprs digipeater.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You do know that having GAS stored in that configuration if you are involved in a wreck is not secure and is a big risk. We carry our GAS on the rigs in spring loaded safety cans and secured as to not move around.

radio3353

You do know that having GAS stored in that configuration if you are involved in a wreck is not secure and is a big risk. We carry our GAS on the rigs in spring loaded safety cans and secured as to not move around.

Seriously! That video made me almost lose my breakfast. Having gas stored on a fire truck in a safety can and secured is one thing, but any type of container with flammable liquid loose in a passenger vehicle is a bomb. To add to the danger, there was open power wiring to his radios shown in the video. That clip of his van stopped on the shoulder of the highway with a tandem tractor trailer zooming by was frightening knowing that a gas can was in the rear of his van.

LouisvilleScanMan: Please get rid of that gas can. I know why you have it and your service is appreciated. We have a saying in the fire service - arrive and operate safely, you can't help anyone if you become a victim.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Mount it on the outside if you need it. Small rack/carrier on the outside of a back door or something...

d119

I don't mean to be a jerk, but look at this whole thing from the lay persons perspective. It's a disaster.

If anyone with a bed in their van rolled up to give me a "roadside assist", I'd be calling the cops. Again - you HAVE to look at this from a lay persons perspective.

Wires all over the place, an older vehicle, a bed in it, Man I don't know... This isn't very professional in my opinion, and on top of that, are you really trying to help people, or are you just looking for an excuse to have lights and radios on your vehicle? The "Keep on Vannin'" isn't helping your credibility either.

The other problem is, that with very few exceptions, local governments don't really take ARES/SKYWARN/DHS COMM-T/POLICEFIREFIGHTERPARKRANGERASTRONAUTLIFEGUARD stuff being done by the public very seriously. It's a pretty weak justification.

Wonder if the ASTRO Spectra affiliates...

Mods: Gent posted this on the board, by doing so, a reasonable person could infer he is looking for commentary. I'm stating my opinion as professionally as I can. It's important that people look at things like this from the public's perspective. It brings a whole new outlook on things. This is not a personal attack on the gent, it's my critique of the situation as a whole. Constructive criticism, I hope.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sorry gang he has a good idea and good intentions BUT what happens if on the side of the road he has a stranded driver in the van and gets hit even a minor wreck BIG FIRE. I have dedicated 38 years of my life to the FIRE SERVICE and still working fulltime and do not want to see no person injured or worse when it can be avoided.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The Motorola is an 800mhz scanner for the local fd pd trunking system. It has tx capability on the 8tac channels which we have authority to use.
Authorized by what agency having jurisdiction? 7/8-TAC repeaters are licensed by agencies who own the repeaters and are only authorized by that agency for use by public safety personnel authorized by said agency for mutual aid public safety operations. When you say "we" what agency having jurisdiction are you referring to?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I see he has posted it in some Facebook groups, too. Hopefully he will eventually see the comments here and heed some of the advice...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I know where I live the police would shut that operation down immediately. A real safety hazard.

I can see getting a business license and having an operation for profit that's affiliated with a repair service. Certain regulations would have to be met, background check, safety checks Etc.

Police in my area wouldn't put up with that for a minute. He would get one warning then it would be the hook LOL.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Or the warning would be the hook, and they'd have him pull everything out in the impound lot before ROR'ing him.
I see your point, the cops in my Township are very busy and deal with a lot of disabled vehicles on crowded highways. Safety is always the concern and the duty tow is very prompt to render assistance or remove the DV, they certainly wouldn't want to be dealing with this guy in the way. Police concern would be unsafe obstruction of their rendering assistance to a disabled vehicle and trying to maintain the safety of this guy at the same time. They would probably see it more of a nuisance call.

Some cops would see it as what it is, a hobby without a whole lot of thought gone into it, some cops might see it as what we call a 10- 96 and show understanding... Once.

He would get the stern warning... the duty tow is busy enough and the impound lot is always overflowing :p

Status
Not open for further replies.