• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5200 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

FD84XJ

Our department has received 6 NX-5200 radios on a grant, traditionally we have utilized Motorola's so I'm not too familiar with these radios. They continuously break squelch and all throughout the night our firefighters are woken up by the station identifier beeping away in Morse code. None of the Motorola MagOnes or HTs do this, just the kenwoods.

We've sent them to the local dealer to get it fixed several times to no avail (he adamantly argues these *VHF's* are actually 5300's, even after looking at the serial plate, then he wanted the FD to sign a waiver to go "fix" something in the repeater so it wouldn't transmit the identifier... so that should hint what we're dealing with).

So it looks like it's up to me to program the nuisance station identifier out, id at all possible. Anybody have any success with this?

Also, I'll be starting from scratch, i.e. buying software, prog cable, etc.

Which programming software version would be required (I believe radios are NX-5200 K2 USA version) and what source/site do you recommend to get it from? Same for prog cable?

Is there a dealer key required? If so how would I get access to one or is there a way around it?

FYI we transmit narrowband 158.910 with a 136.5 tone and receive on 154.845. I believe the issue lies within the RX being CSQ on the Kenwoods meanwhile I believe the motorolas are CTCSS 136.5 tone applied to RX as well. Clear as mud?

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I would program a receive tone, and that should fix the problem. Also, make sure the repeater doesn’t transmit the ID over the PL tone, otherwise a RX tone will not help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FD84XJ

I would program a receive tone, and that should fix the problem. Also, make sure the repeater doesn’t transmit the ID over the PL tone, otherwise a RX tone will not help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds good, but also how would I get the programming software and license/key etc to reprogram these?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

KJ4CYM

Feed Provider
Also, check with your dealer to see if there's government pricing! Usuaully can get 25-35% off and tax free if you're affiliated with local government.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Our department has received 6 NX-5200 radios on a grant, traditionally we have utilized Motorola's so I'm not too familiar with these radios. They continuously break squelch and all throughout the night our firefighters are woken up by the station identifier beeping away in Morse code. None of the Motorola MagOnes or HTs do this, just the kenwoods.

We've sent them to the local dealer to get it fixed several times to no avail (he adamantly argues these *VHF's* are actually 5300's, even after looking at the serial plate, then he wanted the FD to sign a waiver to go "fix" something in the repeater so it wouldn't transmit the identifier... so that should hint what we're dealing with).

So it looks like it's up to me to program the nuisance station identifier out, id at all possible. Anybody have any success with this?

Also, I'll be starting from scratch, i.e. buying software, prog cable, etc.

Which programming software version would be required (I believe radios are NX-5200 K2 USA version) and what source/site do you recommend to get it from? Same for prog cable?

Is there a dealer key required? If so how would I get access to one or is there a way around it?

FYI we transmit narrowband 158.910 with a 136.5 tone and receive on 154.845. I believe the issue lies within the RX being CSQ on the Kenwoods meanwhile I believe the motorolas are CTCSS 136.5 tone applied to RX as well. Clear as mud?

Is the dealer you're going to the dealer who sold them?

If the Kenwoods are programmed CSQ, then yes, you'll hear everything on the frequency, including the CW ID, nearby gas pumps, your neighbor's LED lighting, etc. An RX tone would save your sanity.

1.) If this dealer isn't helping, find another one. Even one a few hours away. You'll need to buy KPG-D1NK from this dealer along with the KPG-36XM cable, so find a dealer you like.

2.) "MagOne" is a joke of a radio. Just saying.

3.) Program the Kenwood with the correct RX tone.

4.) It sounds like the repeater already does a "quiet" CW ID since the other radios on your system don't hear it. If this wasn't the case, you'd need the programming software and cable for the repeater, not to mention site access which you most likely would not get. But that's irrelevant as it's already programmed that way.

Get in touch with:
THE CAMBRIDGE GROUP
6901 AVE K, SUITE #106 PLANO TX 75074 USA 972-481-7877

They are your regional Kenwood sales rep. Dealers don't order directly from Kenwood, they go through a rep (source: am a Kenwood dealer). Contact them, tell them your story, and ask for a recommendation as to a good nearby dealer.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The dealer thinks a NX5200 VHF said they were NX5300's if that is so you can not program the radios out of band. Sounds like you need a new dealer. Does this dealer have a radio shop or is he selling radios out of the trunk of his car? I have both the NX5200 and the NX5300 love the KNB-L3M Li-ion 3400mAh (High Capacity) batteries.

FD84XJ

The dealer thinks a NX5200 VHF said they were NX5300's if that is so you can not program the radios out of band. Sounds like you need a new dealer. Does this dealer have a radio shop or is he selling radios out of the trunk of his car? I have both the NX5200 and the NX5300 love the KNB-L3M Li-ion 3400mAh (High Capacity) batteries.

They're pretty awesome, best replacements we could get a hold of since we found out most of our portables weren't IP67 during Harvey...plus they are finally PAID for since we were just reimbursed.

And the dealer does have a legitimate radio shop, the tech is even a volunteer firefighter in the same county as us...so you would think they would have a clue...

FD84XJ

Thanks for the detailed info, I'll be calling them in the morning for sure. It'd be worth the day trip just to get this done and over with. I believe we got them from a dealer in the DFW area so possibly someone very close to the sales reps.

And yes, the MagOne's suck...tremendously. Thankfully they're just refurbs we didn't put much money into. They're used predominately as pagers, often as projectiles against windshields of distracted drivers, sometimes as door chocks, and on occasion for a probie to look cool with it strapped to their hip.

Status
Not open for further replies.